General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

bigger filter = better performance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Sports Button FTW

bigger filter = better performance?

i'm so f*cking mad right now, i just typed a good page of info and questions on this stupid a$$ forum and because my picture was too big i clicked back and it all erased....i hate computers more and more every day....

ANYWAY, to make it short now, i searched, couldn't find my answer and i want to know if getting a bigger filter than what i have will increase my performance...i know from searching it will be louder but someone mentioned that bigger filter doesn't mean better performance...so how big is too big and i wanted the stillen filter...would u guys recommend it over the tall lanky one i have? is there any other filters the size of the stillen u would say is also very good and maybe a little cheaper?

where can i get stillen filter from with adapter (heard i needed it) and how much?

below is a pic of my filter...

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...41_50_full.jpg
Old 12-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Sports Button FTW

vs.

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...41_55_full.jpg

this
Old 12-18-2002, 12:00 AM
nc00max

I would think that more air would obviously help, but how much of a difference would probably be negligible unless there was a huge difference.

OT, but the engine bay one the second car looks nice!

Old 12-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think JWT popcharger (at least the old style, not sure about the new one) is the same size as the stillen, but only costs around $100. Check my homepage for a pic.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:53 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by spiff56747
I think JWT popcharger (at least the old style, not sure about the new one) is the same size as the stillen, but only costs around $100. Check my homepage for a pic.
i don't need the whole kit...i mean i think all mid pipes are the same, whether franken car or PR CAI or whatever. I actually have top part of PR CAI now...i just want the filter and YES yours looks exactly the same...how much u think your filter will run by itself and do u think i will gain any extra hp from your filter vs mine????
Old 12-18-2002, 01:01 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: bigger filter = better performance?

Originally posted by meccanoble
i'm so f*cking mad right now, i just typed a good page of info and questions on this stupid a$$ forum and because my picture was too big i clicked back and it all erased....i hate computers more and more every day....
Just a tip: This has happened to me enough times now (and not just here, but on other forums also), that whenever I make any sort of a larger post, I always copy the entire post to the clipboard first before hitting Submit. That way if it gets lost I don't get mad because it's still in the clipboard
Old 12-18-2002, 01:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i don't need the whole kit...i mean i think all mid pipes are the same, whether franken car or PR CAI or whatever. I actually have top part of PR CAI now...i just want the filter and YES yours looks exactly the same...how much u think your filter will run by itself and do u think i will gain any extra hp from your filter vs mine????
dude why the hell are u posting here and are away on AIM? lol

anyway, all the JWT pop comes with is the filter, the adapter to fit your existing intake pipe, and the bracket to hold it up with..

personally if you already got a K&N style intake, i wouldnt waste my money getting a bigger intake, unless somebody really knows for sure you'll get better performance.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:38 AM

A bigger filter would help if and only if your current filter is too small. But that's probably not the case. Unless your filter is miniscule, you're not going to notice any difference. Only way to really know is to try it...

Old 12-18-2002, 07:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

i c

thanks stevetec, i'll do that from now on

i also want it cause of how loud it is....wait so popcharger, 100 bucks for a dam filter?! sheesh!

i guess i can go to my nearest auto store and just pick up a k&n filter with bigger diamater right? might be cheaper and still do what i want it to do or hope to do....
Old 12-18-2002, 07:26 AM
Langley AFB Sux

i c

i also want it cause of how loud it is....wait so popcharger, 100 bucks for a dam filter?! sheesh!

i guess i can go to my nearest auto store and just pick up a k&n filter with bigger diamater right? might be cheaper and still do what i want it to do or hope to do....
I dont think your going to get any better performance........You are using the monster flow K&N right........I had a filter that resembled the pop before I got the PRCAI...which is setup hybrid style now...the monster flow just has more fliter area....I noticed no difference....it does sound a bit different though
Old 12-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i c

I have a JWT filter f/s.. Same as stillen but I'll let it go for half price.. PM me
Old 12-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Only on Twin Turbo Maxima's
Old 12-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

When it comes to air filter, the bigger the better.

1. You have more surface area to trap the dirt.
2. You will never run out of breath.

That's why I love the old K&N on the PR CAI. The filter is beefy and it stamped with "Off road use only"
Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 AM

The difference will be negligible. It'd be the same difference as using an Monsterflow over a K&N -- not much of one.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

I have a JWT filter f/s.. Same as stillen but I'll let it go for half price.. PM me
you have been PMed...hey is yours like the same size as Don's?
Old 12-18-2002, 09:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

Use twin tornados!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:03 AM

I'd just go with an Apex'i Power intake

I think Steve at Frankencar has dyno'd the Apex'i against the K&N and showed some pretty good gains (4HP or something like that). Apex'i says their filter comes down to the difference in pressure from inside the filter versus outside, the type of media used in the filter, the velocity of the air coming in, and the turburlance (or lack of it anyways).

A friend of mine has a Twin Turbo Supra with some crazy engine work done on it. He's using an cold air intake along with a pretty good sized intercooler for the secondary turbo, and just uses a dinky little old school Apex'i Super intake (thing looks like a pancake). He's tried many different setups and this one he's proud of.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by SprintMax
Only on Twin Turbo Maxima's
Old 12-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Keven97SE

A bigger filter will increase performance up to a limit. Any filter has a pressure drop across it. This pressure drop also means a drop in flow rate. A larger filter will spread out the airflow across a larger surface area and decrease velocity, which in turn decreases the pressure drop and decreases the flow rate drop. However, there will be diminishing returns as the filter gets beyond a certain size, so you can't just keep going larger.

Decreased pressure drop is the biggest reason why most cone filters flow more than a stock panel filter, and why K&N panel filters flow little more and make little more power than a stock filter (same size).

If you think your current cone filter is too small, find out the filter area of the stock filter and compare the cone filter. If it's not much more or is significantly smaller than, say the JWT or Stillen cone filter, then yes you will probably gain some power with a larger filter.