General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Any thoughts on the Zex nitrous kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 05:42 AM

My buddy has a soon-to-be-turbocharged Si and he's pawning off his Zex nitrous kit (to me if it's not a piece of garbage) for $300. Sounds like a good deal to me. He's used it very little and it looks to be in very good shape. I'm under the impression that it should basically plug in to the mighty Max. I'll put a smaller fogger nozzle on it (he's running a ludicrous 75 shot) and go kill some Z28's.

Is Zex stuff crap or is it a good way to go? The only experience I have with nitrous is the wet NOS system I had on my old Civic.
Old 01-02-2001, 05:58 AM

Well there is not much info of the Zex, I am not sure about reliability, but for

300.00 dollars I don't think you will find a NOS system at that price. I would say try it out and let us know how you like it. I believe that Turbo Mag. used it on their 2K max.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by SethMax
My buddy has a soon-to-be-turbocharged Si and he's pawning off his Zex nitrous kit (to me if it's not a piece of garbage) for $300. Sounds like a good deal to me. He's used it very little and it looks to be in very good shape. I'm under the impression that it should basically plug in to the mighty Max. I'll put a smaller fogger nozzle on it (he's running a ludicrous 75 shot) and go kill some Z28's.

Is Zex stuff crap or is it a good way to go? The only experience I have with nitrous is the wet NOS system I had on my old Civic.
For $300 get it.

But, youll need every ounce of a 75 shot to run a Z28.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:50 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You might not able to get the Throttle Position Sensor WOT switch to work with the Maxima. The Zex system uses the stock Throttle Position Sensor voltage to activate the nitrous. I believe it's looking for something above 4.7 volts. The FSM I have said the Maxima's WOT voltage at the TPS is around 4. So it never gets high enough, that might be a problem. I never actually put a volt meter to the TPS, so I'm not sure if the FSM is correct. If you ever find out what the actual WOT voltage for the Maxima. Please let me know.

Originally posted by SethMax

Old 01-02-2001, 08:14 AM

wow, thanks

You're exactly right...
I'll DEFINITELY check to make sure the WOT throttle position voltage is high enough. ZEX kit requires 4.4 minimum according to their documentation and I'd like to see 4.6-4.7 to be safe.
Thanks for the tips guys
Old 01-02-2001, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You might not able to get the Throttle Position Sensor WOT switch to work with the Maxima. The Zex system uses the stock Throttle Position Sensor voltage to activate the nitrous. I believe it's looking for something above 4.7 volts. The FSM I have said the Maxima's WOT voltage at the TPS is around 4. So it never gets high enough, that might be a problem. I never actually put a volt meter to the TPS, so I'm not sure if the FSM is correct. If you ever find out what the actual WOT voltage for the Maxima. Please let me know.

I beleive one of the mags that tested the ZEX kit on a Max found the same thing. But, they were able to adjust the TPS voltage up enough to make the system activate. Ive never done it on a Maxima, but usually, to adjust the TPS voltage, all you have to do is rotate the TPS switch itself until a higher voltage shows at WOT. But, dont go too far as then your minimum TPS voltage at idle might be too high.

In any case, it should work.
Old 01-02-2001, 12:37 PM

Do you think you can dig around and find that mag? Was it Turbo?

Originally posted by madmax2k

I beleive one of the mags that tested the ZEX kit on a Max found the same thing. But, they were able to adjust the TPS voltage up enough to make the system activate. Ive never done it on a Maxima, but usually, to adjust the TPS voltage, all you have to do is rotate the TPS switch itself until a higher voltage shows at WOT. But, dont go too far as then your minimum TPS voltage at idle might be too high.

In any case, it should work.
Old 01-02-2001, 02:20 PM
smokin96se

Zex Nitrous Kit Install

I'm almost done installing the same kit on my '96 SE.

I found the fuel pressure regulator without using a shop manual by following the diagram under the hood. I tee'd into the vacuum line and connected it to the control box.

The TPS on mine puts out 4.2V. It should be easy to adjust it but someone already stripped the bolts out on me. The colors of the wires going into the TPS match up with the colors of the wires on the zex kit.

The manual really sucks. There's a funny part where it tells you that if there are aluminum flakes on your spark plugs it means it's detonating. Really?!?!

That turbo mag review on the 2k maxima with the zex kit was full of errors. I'm not even going to get into it, but there were loads of mistakes.

For $300 I say go for it. I paid twice that for mine...

smokin96se

Old 01-02-2001, 06:08 PM

Do you think you can dig around and find that mag? Was it Turbo?

Yep, it was Turbo. But, from what is written above, it doesnt seem worth the paper and ink used to print it. Something was also fishy about only getting 220 some odd wheel hp out of the 55 shot.
Old 01-02-2001, 07:23 PM

am I the only one here that doesn't like ZEX??

I don't have much confidence in their solenoid reliability..
Old 01-02-2001, 07:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm with you on that........

for some reason....call me crazy, but, I'm just pressed for safety and reliability(and who isn't) and NOS offers countless methods of safety, various extra accessories and their years of quality products really stands out!! I talked with Zex techies last summer and they seem to be knowledgeable and the system sounds very advanced, but the lack of simple products like a blowdown tube kinda turned me off, but I'll go with NOS over them any day. but I think in time Zex will probably be the main nitrous provider for the import scene, thats my $.02....

Originally posted by got rice?
am I the only one here that doesn't like ZEX??

I don't have much confidence in their solenoid reliability..
Old 01-02-2001, 10:28 PM

Re: Zex Nitrous Kit Install

When you are talking about adjusting the voltage, are you talking about the throttle adjust screw that's on the throttle body?
Isn't that the Idle position adjustment? How would adjusting it affect the WOT throttle voltage? Anyway, can you tell me how you are adjusting the WOT voltage. I'm working on my nitrous kit too. I found a WOT TPS switch module that's made for the Ford 5.0 Mustang and it needs to see 4.7V at WOT for it to work. If I can't safely increase the TPS voltage, I might have to use the NOS mechanical micro switch.

Originally posted by smokin96se
I'm almost done installing the same kit on my '96 SE.

I found the fuel pressure regulator without using a shop manual by following the diagram under the hood. I tee'd into the vacuum line and connected it to the control box.

The TPS on mine puts out 4.2V. It should be easy to adjust it but someone already stripped the bolts out on me. The colors of the wires going into the TPS match up with the colors of the wires on the zex kit.

The manual really sucks. There's a funny part where it tells you that if there are aluminum flakes on your spark plugs it means it's detonating. Really?!?!

That turbo mag review on the 2k maxima with the zex kit was full of errors. I'm not even going to get into it, but there were loads of mistakes.

For $300 I say go for it. I paid twice that for mine...

smokin96se