General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What are the pros and cons of buying certain used mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 04:07 PM

What are the pros and cons of buying certain used mods

I am debating if I should look into buying used mods vs new. I'd like to get a y-pipe and some suspension (adj coilovers?). What can possibly go wrong with them, what are the things to look out for when buying used.. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:45 AM

bump wtf ppl can anyone tell me what kind of wear and tear can be done to a y-pipe and suspension parts?
Old 12-26-2002, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm guessing people aren't answering because they're all asleep from the turkey, or because they think this is a common sense kind of question.

I would not buy used suspension parts, because there's no way to tell what condition they are in or how much longer they will last (unless they are leaking or haven't been cleaned before the sale). Even shocks used for just a few months can be in bad shape if they've been used for auto-crossing or road racing. Unless you know the seller and he guarantees them, I wouldn't buy them.

About the exhaust components, check the flex section for signs of damage. You might as well get a new, longer flex section installed. Otherwise, it should be ok, as long as there are no signs of damage to the ends (where it connects to other exhaust components) or too many scrape marks.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:12 AM
I need a truck

there are certain things you don't want to buy because of missiing parts which could be a PITA.

example: i bought my stillen front lip used and it was already painted black and it matched my paint job perfectly with the "used" look .. (this is a good type of used) but others like superchargers, RSB's, intakes, and other stuff that comes with bolts, nuts and screws i would advise you to buy new
Old 12-26-2002, 09:21 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I bought my suspension used. springs and struts. If they are a decent brand of springs, I got Eibach, there is really nothing to worry about. Springs should last the life of the car. I would recomend buying used parts locally if you can. This way you can see the parts in person before laying down any cash.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
I bought my suspension used. springs and struts. If they are a decent brand of springs, I got Eibach, there is really nothing to worry about. Springs should last the life of the car. I would recomend buying used parts locally if you can. This way you can see the parts in person before laying down any cash.
Springs are fine, I was talking about struts\shocks .
Old 12-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tanman

Springs are fine, I was talking about struts\shocks .

let me see suspension is a touchy subject here, I would buy used Koni adjustables since they come with a lifetime warranty. I would buy any used spring. I bought alot of used items from this site. I am happy with all the items as well. I bought a full used stillen kit, FSTB, RSB, used SCer. One more thing you think new supercharger kits come complete? Negative do a search everyone makes at least three trips to buy missing parts. I know that Waynes kit was missing $45.00 plus of fuel high pressure fuel hoses. Just use common sense when buying stuff.