General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help Please: Alternator problems on 95-96 models

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 03:01 PM

Help Please: Alternator problems on 95-96 models

Hi everyone,

I hope some of you may be able to help me. I have a 95 GLE and about 5 months ago the alternator caught on FIRE. At the time I did not know that you could call corporate and they would investigate. So what i did is i got it fixed $560.00. Now i just found out that the alternators on 97-99 have been recalled. Well too my knowlegde Nissan never really played with the engine from 95-99 so that could mean that the alternators for all models could be the same. Does anybody know if this is true?

So what i have done so far is made a complaint to Nissan Corporate to their quality assurance program and also filed a complaint to the traffic safety administration. Their phone number can be found at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and the alternator recall QA program can be contacted at 1-800-nissan1. Please if any of you have had this problem with your 95-96 models please write me at jwinn@u.washington.edu and also did what i did in contacting the people at those numbers and file a complaint. So that for one peoples lives aren't in danger and second so that others and i can get our money back for a faulty alternator.

Once again if any of you have had the same problem, please contact me and call those numbers, so that maybe we can get the recall to go back the 95-96 models also.

Thanks

Josh

jwinn@u.washington.edu
Old 12-28-2002, 06:14 AM

Re: Help Please: Alternator problems on 95-96 models

Originally posted by jwinn
Hi everyone,

I hope some of you may be able to help me. I have a 95 GLE and about 5 months ago the alternator caught on FIRE. At the time I did not know that you could call corporate and they would investigate. So what i did is i got it fixed $560.00. Now i just found out that the alternators on 97-99 have been recalled. Well too my knowlegde Nissan never really played with the engine from 95-99 so that could mean that the alternators for all models could be the same. Does anybody know if this is true?

So what i have done so far is made a complaint to Nissan Corporate to their quality assurance program and also filed a complaint to the traffic safety administration. Their phone number can be found at www.nhtsa.dot.gov and the alternator recall QA program can be contacted at 1-800-nissan1. Please if any of you have had this problem with your 95-96 models please write me at jwinn@u.washington.edu and also did what i did in contacting the people at those numbers and file a complaint. So that for one peoples lives aren't in danger and second so that others and i can get our money back for a faulty alternator.

Once again if any of you have had the same problem, please contact me and call those numbers, so that maybe we can get the recall to go back the 95-96 models also.

Thanks

Josh

jwinn@u.washington.edu
Ouch I haven't done my '98 yet but I got the notice. If this were an S Class Benz or English car I could see $560, but that's simply outrageous. No matter what Nissan says that price is a rip-off, and an alternator does not simply combust on its own. I hope they recall all 4th gens if it has the same faulty diode.