General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Preparing the Maxima for short trip driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 09:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Preparing the Maxima for short trip driving

I'll be moving in two weeks to where work is 2 miles away from home. Unfortunatly, I don't have a crappy car that I can drive to work, so I have to take the Max. Is there anything I can do to minimize the wear on the engine/exhaust for these trips? I usually run the car for 15-30 seconds and go on my 9 mile commute right now. Should I warm up differently with such a short trip? Perhaps I should just run to work? The car will be going through 200 mile trips every other week too.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:06 PM

Re: Preparing the Maxima for short trip driving

Originally posted by 97max5spd
I'll be moving in two weeks to where work is 2 miles away from home. Unfortunatly, I don't have a crappy car that I can drive to work, so I have to take the Max. Is there anything I can do to minimize the wear on the engine/exhaust for these trips? I usually run the car for 15-30 seconds and go on my 9 mile commute right now. Should I warm up differently with such a short trip? Perhaps I should just run to work? The car will be going through 200 mile trips every other week too.
why run?..take a bicycle to work, its a good workout

But as for the short trips, i really don't think you can do anything different. I usually let my car run for about 30 seconds and then drive slow until the car warms up and in your case, you'll be at work by the time it warms up. Good luck

anu
Old 12-27-2002, 10:54 PM

Re: Preparing the Maxima for short trip driving

Originally posted by 97max5spd
...Is there anything I can do to minimize the wear on the engine/exhaust for these trips? I usually run the car for 15-30 seconds and go on my 9 mile commute right now. Should I warm up differently with such a short trip? Perhaps I should just run to work?
Running to work say twice a week and riding a bicycle the other 3 days wouldn't be too bad, if you have a place there to clean up. Honestly though, I'd really change fluids a lot more often. Also, maybe try doing errands and such on the way to or from work to actually have longer drives. Or just go on a scenic drive to increase the distance! Enjoy the Ride. Also, what about carpooling with someone? Short city trips really hurt my gas mileage something fierce, not to mention the wear and tear. And my short trips usually consist of atleast 10 miles.

Dave