General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oops I typed my post fast, lots of errors, don't be mean.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:38 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by spanishrice
I just read the sports compact car magazine, haha. The maxima could have a very good chnace especially with a good driver. Its all up to the peole though. We could get the whole org to vote for a Maxima becuase only 4000 thousand people voted this year. Hell ya! I was reading baout these peoples car, the onyl one that sound like problems is the viper and the little car with rotary engine in it. It only weighs 1800 pounds! I saw we gut a 4th gen, becuase I tihnk thats the one that has the most potential.

Suspension what people said before and warpseed subframe connectors.
A turbo without mevi, we need low rpm horses not high, you truning often. We don't want to be like the silly supra with all the high pm horses. Then we need to take as much as we can out of the car, lighten it, as much titanium and carbon fiber as we can. And probally around 450 to 500 fwhp. Thats the only way we can compete, I mean theres a freaking 10 second dsm that weighs 3100 pounds as much as our 4th gens. Let it begin!!!
Don't worry bout the errors, i gotya..

Only 4k votes? 17k+ members here.. there gotta be at least 4k or 5k in 4th gen owners.

Someone should apply, then there's about a year for tallying votes and deciding who's going to compete... plenty of time to whip something up. The best part is that if we can get a lot of people from the .org to vote, then it won't matter what mods are published in the magazine.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Maximamike

Your comments about Mani's car being setup for drag racing humor me. I'm sure your comments of Supras and road racing would go over well with Andi and a buncha the other road racers on SF. Maybe try researching the cars before you bash them? Ho' well..

Ho? You're calling me a ho? AHAHAHAHHAHA! yeah, I'm a ho. I know a lot about Supras, actually. However, with all of the Supra boys in the NE, and most generally, are only set up to go in a straight line; people who want to be known for having fast cars don't care about how fast they are on a road course. This usually applies to the younger kids who just want speed and have money to burn. I see it a lot around here.

HOWEVER!
Did I or did I NOT say that the JGTC supras with good suspensions installed are good on the track. Oh wait. I did.

And the Ho comments are uneccessary. I dislike Supras for personal reasons, but I did state that the ones set up properly are okay. Please don't comment on my comments in a manner that only addresses one section of something I wrote; it's pedantic and patronizing.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Lime

Ho? You're calling me a ho? AHAHAHAHHAHA! yeah, I'm a ho. I know a lot about Supras, actually. However, with all of the Supra boys in the NE, and most generally, are only set up to go in a straight line; people who want to be known for having fast cars don't care about how fast they are on a road course. This usually applies to the younger kids who just want speed and have money to burn. I see it a lot around here.

HOWEVER!
Did I or did I NOT say that the JGTC supras with good suspensions installed are good on the track. Oh wait. I did.

And the Ho comments are uneccessary. I dislike Supras for personal reasons, but I did state that the ones set up properly are okay. Please don't comment on my comments in a manner that only addresses one section of something I wrote; it's pedantic and patronizing.
I don't see the references to you being a ho, but if you feel that way?

I commented on your comments that were wrong. Thats the only thing I was addressing. If you have a problem with me correcting your mistakes, you should probably disconnect your Cat5/phone cable from the back of your computer. Have a nice day.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:31 PM

I don't see the references to you being a ho, but if you feel that way?

I commented on your comments that were wrong. Thats the only thing I was addressing. If you have a problem with me correcting your mistakes, you should probably disconnect your Cat5/phone cable from the back of your computer. Have a nice day.
I had a super day, thanks! Yeah should I also hit alt+f4? How clever you are! The comments made are opinions. Opinions cannot be wrong, but also maybe you should check out the scene around here, or anywhere, of streetracers and modders. None of the Supra people who contact the local shops I know want to road race their Supras; as mentioned about 800 times, they want to be the fastest, not the best handling. Hey do you own a Supra? No? Didn't think so. Have a super day!
Old 01-05-2003, 07:30 PM

Ho' well..
She is talking about this I think.... probably just a typo
Old 01-05-2003, 08:28 PM

now now children
Old 01-06-2003, 05:05 AM

I really could care less, but I don't like when people don't read what I say and argue it AND call my opinions wrong lol...opinions, no matter what they are, can't be WRONG. <shrug> Hell, my opinion of all od Toyota's sports cars are: nipping at Nissan's heels and copying Nissan's ideas to get a spot in the market, starting from 1968. BUT, this is my opinion!

Anyway, to get back on topic, I still feel the 3rd gen would be more effective in the competition, even though it's not quite as sessy looking as the 4th gen!
Old 01-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by MAXIN

ohhh yes...this car....i stumbled onto an article about this a while back... yes that explains the "stock internals"
I am very sure they are tiberon engines,somebody has that mag of mine,i think feb 2002.ill post on it tommarrow.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by CKNY
now now children
Go - o - o - o Giants
Old 01-06-2003, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
The thing is though most of these Jerkys have the big bank account...

Dave
This is the thing in a lot of the non-pro competition scenes. People think you need to spend a lot of money to win which is not true at all. Skill in the end is what you need to be competitive.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by CKNY
next time around every member should pitch in like $5... we'll build up a maxima.org project maxima and everyone can help in modifying it real nice - and enter it. we'll try to bring back andi baritchi to be our driver. max exposure for maxima.org!!

the car should be alone the lines of...

4th gen (black of course!) with

mevi
turbo with about 8psi
a few nice sets of tires on 16" kosei's?
jic coilovers
bars all around including a gutted interior with roll cage
cf hood
and a few other goodies =)

or we can just steal delio's car and enter that
We should do something like this.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Too bad those "stock internals" were from a different car. Yes the Tiburon comes with an N/A 4g63 stock, but the motors were turbo 4g63s transplanted from DSMs. 627 is the sum of the hp the two engines produced, so about 310 a piece (I think it was like 300 and 320ish).
I dont know where you got this info from but not one thing is right.well it is a tiberon.first i have the very mag in my hands right now that holds the answers it is the feb 2002 scc the pretest writeup.first its says there are two beta engines(tiberon engine code)one in the front one in the rear both are turbo ,nonintercooled and run on methanol and internal mods:none.Each engine at 15lbs of boost,it also has two stock tiberon trannys.this car runs a 10.6.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:10 PM

Maximas in SCCC....................

Some of you guys have good points, pros and cons. However I believe the Maxima have a very good chance of placing the top 5 of a SCCA sanctioned event. It is all about the suspension setup vs road course conditions. I watch Speedvision all the time and some teams races Honda Civics! Even in the BTCC (Brittish Touring Car Championship) there is a Honda Civic Hatchback racing there too (never place anywhere in the top 10 though). If I had at least 1/4 of what Bill Gates have (a cool mil at the least) I would try and put a Maxima on the starting grid.

We gotta look at it this way: Nissan, Toyota, and Honda makes decent race cars. In the JGTC (Japan GT Championships), Toyota and Honda kinda dominate the field. There are only a few Skylines in each race (not to mention Lamborghini, they are there too...) and at least one of the Skylines are placing the top 5 at the end of a race. The reason the Maxima isn't in an sanctioned racing event is either it is too good looking to be banged up, or no one has the ***** (or pockets deep enough) to put one one the grid.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:35 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by krismax
I dont know where you got this info from but not one thing is right.well it is a tiberon.first i have the very mag in my hands right now that holds the answers it is the feb 2002 scc the pretest writeup.first its says there are two beta engines(tiberon engine code)one in the front one in the rear both are turbo ,nonintercooled and run on methanol and internal mods:none.Each engine at 15lbs of boost,it also has two stock tiberon trannys.this car runs a 10.6.
I swear I read that they were 4G63s but that was a long time ago, not that it matters though, I was going by memory not by a magazine sitting in front of me. I stand corrected.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:14 PM

Isn't there like skylines with vq engines. Oh ya there is! I think the maxima would be awsome, that freaking Integra has $80,000 and is still crap. Supra is crap, it has 2 10s behind the drivers seat, is he stupid or what, he just has money to burn. I say we get a stripped down maxima, and blow them sucka's away!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM

Papasmurf's Maxima would definitely fare well against most of those cars. Especially in roadcourse. The car weighs in at 2670. It has a full custom designed coilover setup as well as an upgraded brake system. The power is in abundance, but could use a little boost to keep up with some of the BIG boys (ie, Viper) There is a lot of work done to this car, and it PERFORMS!!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by NightRider
Papasmurf's Maxima would definitely fare well against most of those cars. Especially in roadcourse. The car weighs in at 2670. It has a full custom designed coilover setup as well as an upgraded brake system. The power is in abundance, but could use a little boost to keep up with some of the BIG boys (ie, Viper) There is a lot of work done to this car, and it PERFORMS!!
pics? link?
Old 01-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Lime

Anyway, to get back on topic, I still feel the 3rd gen would be more effective in the competition, even though it's not quite as sessy looking as the 4th gen!
please explain how you think a 3rd gen would fare better in this competition than a 4th gen.

is it the irs ? hmmm.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by nismo2020

pics? link?
Mods list:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/madmax95gtr

Most recent pics:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=178277
Old 01-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Mods list:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/madmax95gxe

Most recent pics:
cardomian down or the link isnt working. something i dunno.

seen the other pics though.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 PM

cardomian down or the link isnt working. something i dunno.

seen the other pics though.
The second link is pictures of his reconditioning. The car was pretty torn up inside and out, so we decided to give it a face lift. At the same time, we did a new brake setup as well as prototyping a new coilover setup. The car now sits about 3" off of the ground and still retains full suspension travel. The springs are custom wound and have been dialed in at 375/450 front/rear. The ride is STIFF, but doesn't bottom out at all. In fact there isn't even any bounce. When you hit the gas, there is NO squat at all.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:56 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

The second link is pictures of his reconditioning. The car was pretty torn up inside and out, so we decided to give it a face lift. At the same time, we did a new brake setup as well as prototyping a new coilover setup. The car now sits about 3" off of the ground and still retains full suspension travel. The springs are custom wound and have been dialed in at 375/450 front/rear. The ride is STIFF, but doesn't bottom out at all. In fact there isn't even any bounce. When you hit the gas, there is NO squat at all.
sounds intresting

how did you guys come to the realization that apc civic coilovers will work on a maxima? are coilovers it that interchangeable
Old 01-09-2003, 11:06 PM

Re: Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Originally posted by bags533
BTW sx7r.. phat ride
why thank you
Old 01-09-2003, 11:21 PM

sounds intresting

how did you guys come to the realization that apc civic coilovers will work on a maxima? are coilovers it that interchangeable
Yes coilovers are very interchangeable. Look at the Ground Control kits. They are all the same kit. The only thing they change is the size of the rubber grommets used to hold the sleeve in place on the strut.The apc sleeves are a little on the small side though, and some milling work will need to be done to get these to fit. They are welded on at the bottom so there is no noise issue. We are thinking of comming out with a full coilover setup soon. We won't be using APC sleeve kits though. This will be a full setup with matched spring rates and adjustable struts suitable for both street and race style driving. Of course it will be drivers choice.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:51 AM

four door sports cars at it again
Old 01-10-2003, 10:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Mods list:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/madmax95gtr

Most recent pics:
I don't think most of us would be voting for Papa to represent our community fpr many reasons I won't list. What I find funny is that he has a page making fun of Riceboys, but he lists a "turbo" as a mod, has Altezzas, a Autozone "GT" steering wheel, and a touring wing. I guess I don't get where he's coming from.

Running coilovers from a Civic is ingenious, but I really doubt he has "full" suspension travel if he's slammed and running stock sized struts. Full suspension travel just isn't possible unless you're running special shortened struts. The fact that the car is "stiff" and doesn't "squat" is not really a good thing. You need suspension movement and travel to keep the car from po-going around on bumps and tight turns.

Dave
Old 01-10-2003, 11:45 AM

Are you guys serious? The maxima is not in the same league as the cars in the SCC challenge! It is not a SPORTS CAR. Neither is it a SPORT COMPACT CAR. Stop dreaming thinking you can put a Maxima in the same league as a 3000GT/STEALTH , RX-7 or Supra.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Titanium_Max
Are you guys serious? The maxima is not in the same league as the cars in the SCC challenge! It is not a SPORTS CAR. Neither is it a SPORT COMPACT CAR. Stop dreaming thinking you can put a Maxima in the same league as a 3000GT/STEALTH , RX-7 or Supra.

Same class? Nope. BUT, seeing that professional drivers are not piloting these cars, anything is possible. Put a experienced driver in a decent performing car and he'll destroy a supercar with a mediocore driver. It doesn't take much skill to go straight so obviously the super-high powered cars will win, but in the slalom, braking, road coarse, Grandma test, etc, it's fair game.

Take a look and read over some of these guys and their cars. The guy with the Supra has deep pockets, but no driving skill. The guy with the 3000GT VR4 Spyder doesn't even know what turbos he has. The Diamond Star is pushed to the brink and I believe he's running the stock diffenential (won't last). The only guys I truely fear is the autocross champ in the Viper and possibly the guy with the Skyline. If the Skyline is truely pushing the power they list, it will be hell to control under boost.

A 2950lb 4th gen 5 speed with a 4-6psi turbo and or SC, Quafie LSD, exhaust, MEVI, light 16s with DOT race tires, quality coilovers with shortened struts, and a top-of-the-line braking system would be a killer combo. This combo would be good for close to 12s in the 1/4 mile, 1 G in the turns, and massive braking abilities. The problem I see with a lot these cars in this challenge is that they are woefully tempermental.

If you build a near bullet-proof combo that does everything "good", your chances of finishing towards the top are excellent.

Dave
Old 01-10-2003, 12:35 PM

Yes but you FAIL to see the point! The Maxima is NOT a SPORTS CAR, nor is it a SPORT COMPACT CAR, hence SCC!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:48 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Yes but you FAIL to see the point! The Maxima is NOT a SPORTS CAR, nor is it a SPORT COMPACT CAR, hence SCC!
I misspoke in the begining.. It is the Ultimate STREET Car Challenage.

And yes the maxima is NOT a sports car.

But, your car weighs more than mine and can only hold 1/2 the people and 1/2 the baggage... SO WHAT!!

It not always about being anything. I guess me and a few other members see the FUN in it.

Sorry your not a fun person.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by bags533

I misspoke in the begining.. It is the Ultimate STREET Car Challenage.

And yes the maxima is NOT a sports car.

But, your car weighs more than mine and can only hold 1/2 the people and 1/2 the baggage... SO WHAT!!

It not always about being anything. I guess me and a few other members see the FUN in it.

Sorry your not a fun person.
I have a 03' Maxima 6-speed. It's a great car but not in the same league as my Stealth, that's for sure. Sorry if I came on a little strong, I just think a maxima is out of its place in USCC!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Neither is an Impala SS and an F-Body, but they made it into the final vote of the Challenge.

What justifies a "sports car"? 2-doors? RWD? IRS? Maybe so, but a Maxima can be built-up to be very competitive with a true sports car. Sport compact? Who cares? All a "sport compact" car is, is a small car with a small motor and FWD. What's special or impressive about that? If it can accelerate quickly, go fast, handle impressively, and stops on a dime what's the difference if it's 4-doors/FWD or 2 doors/RWD?

*.....failing to see Titanium Max's logic*

Dave
Old 01-10-2003, 01:22 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

I have a 03' Maxima 6-speed. It's a great car but not in the same league as my Stealth, that's for sure. Sorry if I came on a little strong, I just think a maxima is out of its place in USCC!

See I do not see it as being out of place. Let me try and explain.

This is the ultimate street car challenge. Well, think about this, a 4 door car that can run 12.0 in the 1/4 mile and run the middle of the pack with modded supras,mr2's,type-r's, etc.. on a road coarse and put down 350-400 HP is a very impressive street car. ( to me )

Again I said it first, I do not think the maxima would win. But it would be fun to compete and see how close a maxima could get.

And I guees I would want to win if I put my maxima in the competition. BUT, the fact that you GOT to the dance even though your not supposed to be there would be worth it.

Hope that makes sense

and sorry if I was a little up tight... I want a VR-4
Old 01-10-2003, 01:23 PM

I think the problem is not only that it has 4-doors but that it is FWD! The Maxima just doesn't have what it takes!! I love the car, don't get me wrong, but in this company it just doesn't cut it.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:41 PM

I think the problem is not only that it has 4-doors but that it is FWD! The Maxima just doesn't have what it takes!! I love the car, don't get me wrong, but in this company it just doesn't cut it.
how many times do I have to post this.......the integra in the competition is also FWD
Old 01-10-2003, 02:14 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
how many times do I have to post this.......the integra in the competition is also FWD
none.. I knew it was.. but thanks for reminding us

Titanium_Max- I guess you just see it that way. I won't try and change your mind.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

I don't think most of us would be voting for Papa to represent our community fpr many reasons I won't list. What I find funny is that he has a page making fun of Riceboys, but he lists a "turbo" as a mod, has Altezzas, a Autozone "GT" steering wheel, and a touring wing. I guess I don't get where he's coming from.

Running coilovers from a Civic is ingenious, but I really doubt he has "full" suspension travel if he's slammed and running stock sized struts. Full suspension travel just isn't possible unless you're running special shortened struts. The fact that the car is "stiff" and doesn't "squat" is not really a good thing. You need suspension movement and travel to keep the car from po-going around on bumps and tight turns.

Dave
Papasmurf does not list a turbo as a mod. There was contemplation of turbocharging his motor, but I think he has decided to pursue the N/A route. He needs to update that page. The whole point of his mods is not to use the most expensive things he could find. The Autozone steering wheel thing was uncalled for. Its a Grant steering wheel and its purpose was to get rid of the airbag. I have no explanation for the Altezzas except for the fact that he likes them. I wouldn't think that everyone on here with Altezzas would like you to call them a riceboy either. The touring wing is functional. The car does roadcourse racing and needed something to keep the rear end down while cornering. It does a very good job of that. The reason he gets full suspension travel is because his struts are not stock sized. They are shortened. The car just glides over bumps. The suspension is very well designed. Its not "slammed". It just sits very low. There is no squat, but that doesn't hamper the suspension travel at all. Its just that stiff. It can be dialed softer, but why? Basically, you should stop talking about his car seeing as you've never even seen it. If you did, all of your stereotypes of how a Maxima should perform would be changed. What reasons would keep him from being voted in?

P.S. Long awaited pictures will be comming soon as soon as we both find the time.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Ludicrous Speed

hmm..

I still fail to see how a Maxima COULD NOT compete in that challenge. I fail to see how ANY car built to compete could not be in that challenge. Key words "built to compete."

5spd, VQ30DE Built engine, built tranny, performance suspension, performance rims/tires, turbo @ 12psi, all the internal goodies needed to run it and get more HP out of the VQ, good to awesome driver, cleaned up interior, decent lightweight sound system, 4 DOORS!

I bet if that was a 4-door integra with same performance goodies, but enough weight reduction to offset the longer body.. it would rank higher.

They all get killed in the comfort contests. That's enough to put you to 3rd or 4th place when you average either 7th or 8th in the other sections.

I'd say we could nominate Keving's 5th gen once the turbo goes on if all goes well. Let's face it.. the 4th gen has good styling but that's among us hardcore Maxima people. The 5th gen would be held higher among SCC's judges...
Old 01-11-2003, 07:25 PM
SLOW

375f 450r is not stiff. 900f 1100r is stiff!!!

The max would start at a disadvantage but the best modification to any car is a good driver. Most of those guys ar tools and can't drive the save their lives it seems. Put a great driver in heavily modded max (such as those described earlier) against those jokers and I guarantee a top 5 finish.

Quick Reply: Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?