General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ok....when is a Maxima gonna try and compete/enter the SCC challenge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 PM
4 Maximas and counting

The Maxima could compete...

Just looking at the results from this year...

Note #1: The Supra might have won. If the nitrous worked on the dyno, it's possible that 21 more points could have been squeezed out on those 2 tests. Let alone if he used a catalytic converter

Note #2: The Skyline was a near-stock one. What would have happened if the Motorex one showed up?!

Note #3: The WRX placed a respectable 5th with a bad cylinder?! OTOH, another 100pts still is not close to the Supra.

Note #4: The MR2 broke lotsa parts. If they held, maybe it catches the Eclipse. The damaged MR2 (and scared 3000GT would have) raised scores in accelleration tests with it's poor showings.

Assuming the entered Maxima was a 4th gen with a full boatload of modifications:

Comparing to this year's entrants... I'll keep it conservative
Car Show - 15? Depends on the car
Grandma Test - 90+. Probably could take the 100 and knock down others.
Guru Panel - 50?. Probably could score as high as 70, but conservative, like I said.
Driveability - 90+. Same as the Grandma test.
Peak Power - 20+. unless someone did nitrous + turbo, and/or used DET parts.
Power Delivery - 20+.
Base Price - 70+. What a wierd test.
Emissions - 60+.
Fuel Economy - 15+.
Road Course - 10+ Let the debates begin. You're allowed to bring a ringer to drive, IIRC
Skid Pad - 25?. No idea.
Braking - 70+.
1/4 Mi. - 45+.
0-60 - 25+
Gross Display - 10+

That adds up to a conservative 595. Not the best, but 7th place.
I'd argue that a Maxima could have scored as high as 700 this year.
placing it a solid 6th. If the MR-2 had survived, the Maxima would be in 7th again, but closer to the top of the heap than the bottom.
If everything worked out for the best, maybe we see 800pts, battling with the Eclipse, the wounded WRX and possibly the healthy MR2 for a top 5 spot.
I think that would stun the world. An 800pt FWD 4Dr car.
All in all, it can compete. Maybe not win, but compete.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:52 AM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Re: The Maxima could compete...

Originally posted by philpoe

Note #1: The Supra might have won. If the nitrous worked on the dyno, it's possible that 21 more points could have been squeezed out on those 2 tests. Let alone if he used a catalytic converter

Note #2: The Skyline was a near-stock one. What would have happened if the Motorex one showed up?!

Note #3: The WRX placed a respectable 5th with a bad cylinder?! OTOH, another 100pts still is not close to the Supra.

Note #4: The MR2 broke lotsa parts. If they held, maybe it catches the Eclipse. The damaged MR2 (and scared 3000GT would have) raised scores in accelleration tests with it's poor showings.

Assuming the entered Maxima was a 4th gen with a full boatload of modifications:

Guru Panel - 50?. Probably could score as high as 70, but conservative, like I said.
Power Delivery - 20+.
Emissions - 60+.
Fuel Economy - 15+.
Road Course - 10+ Let the debates begin. You're allowed to bring a ringer to drive, IIRC
Skid Pad - 25?. No idea.
Braking - 70+.
1/4 Mi. - 45+.
0-60 - 25+
Gross Display - 10+

placing it a solid 6th. If the MR-2 had survived, the Maxima would be in 7th again, but closer to the top of the heap than the bottom.
If everything worked out for the best, maybe we see 800pts, battling with the Eclipse, the wounded WRX and possibly the healthy MR2 for a top 5 spot.

Yeah I was going to make my comparison later today or tomorrow... I just finished the article yesterday.

BTW I think the skid pad would have been 50... BUT I am guessing as you are.

The road course & peak power & power delevry I thinkwould have been a little better.. The power delievery would do well IMHO. Due to the LOW end TQ and the mid range (3000 rpm) pick up of HP.

But more to follow in a day or 2.

I am glad to see someone else thought the maxima COULD do well
Old 02-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Re: The Maxima could compete...

Power Delivery - 20+.
Emissions - 60+.
Fuel Economy - 15+.
Skid Pad - 25?. No idea.
Braking - 70+.
1/4 Mi. - 45+.
0-60 - 25+
Gross Display - 10+

I think those #s are conservative and a good indication of what a Maxima at the least could do. I think the road course could've been done better with an experienced driver considering the power output wasn't too great. I predict if a solid 4th or 5th gen (with a probable success of the PFI kit on a 5th gen) could strive to reach at least a 5th place spot. At that point there would be a great deal of attention on our "family grocery getter." imagine if it was an automagic
Old 02-06-2003, 09:34 PM
4 Maximas and counting

What other FWD cars could compete?

One thing that gets me about SCC and the USCC is that (as stated in their competition) that the vast majority of their readers drive FWD, but they glorify RWD and AWD. Also, they are looking for the ultimate street car, but these cars are anything but...

Only the MR2, Skyline, 3000GT and Viper might be considered daily-driveable, though the Viper probably waits for track days and the MR2 has to compete with the Ferrari and whatever else is in the garages.

My question is, what other real world, regular guy owned and modded cars (besides the Maxima of course!) could cut it in the USCC, especially if it's limited to FWD and heaven forbid, 4 doors?

Ford Contour SVT with 3L conversion and a turbo?
Toyota Camry with TRD goodies and a turbo?
VW Jetta/Golf with maxed out 1.8T or turboed VR6?
VW Passat with a 2.7T transplant and mods?

Originally posted by max002

I think those #s are conservative and a good indication of what a Maxima at the least could do. I think the road course could've been done better with an experienced driver considering the power output wasn't too great. I predict if a solid 4th or 5th gen (with a probable success of the PFI kit on a 5th gen) could strive to reach at least a 5th place spot. At that point there would be a great deal of attention on our "family grocery getter." imagine if it was an automagic
Old 02-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: What other FWD cars could compete?

One thing that gets me about SCC and the USCC is that (as stated in their competition) that the vast majority of their readers drive FWD, but they glorify RWD and AWD. Also, they are looking for the ultimate street car, but these cars are anything but...

Only the MR2, Skyline, 3000GT and Viper might be considered daily-driveable, though the Viper probably waits for track days and the MR2 has to compete with the Ferrari and whatever else is in the garages.

My question is, what other real world, regular guy owned and modded cars (besides the Maxima of course!) could cut it in the USCC, especially if it's limited to FWD and heaven forbid, 4 doors?

Ford Contour SVT with 3L conversion and a turbo?
Toyota Camry with TRD goodies and a turbo?
VW Jetta/Golf with maxed out 1.8T or turboed VR6?
VW Passat with a 2.7T transplant and mods?

the golf/jetta boys could do it i seen one with like 400+ hp an running 11s.

dont forget about m3s and m5s..
Old 02-07-2003, 02:14 AM
Ludicrous Speed

4-door, FWD "AWD & RWD Killin' Machine" =

M5 =

I don't know about a lot of you, but for some stupid reason, I'd gladly take a car like an ultimate modified Maxima of any gen or a M5 over any 2-door sports car
Old 02-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by max002
4-door, FWD "AWD & RWD Killin' Machine" =

M5 =

I don't know about a lot of you, but for some stupid reason, I'd gladly take a car like an ultimate modified Maxima of any gen or a M5 over any 2-door sports car

i know what you mean... trust me if there was an m5 in my garage my max would be would be right beside it.. heavily modded.