General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Metallic Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003 | 01:44 PM

Metallic Paint Job?

Who has a metallic paint job on their max. Cause i want to know if i should go with metallic or factory paint job. If anyone has a black max i would like to see a picture if i can. Or any other maxima with metallic that would be great.
Old 01-18-2003 | 02:03 PM

metallic just means its shinier.....if you have the extra money i would definitely go for it. Just think about the BMW black.....thats exactly what it is
Old 01-18-2003 | 02:52 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
metallic just means its shinier.....if you have the extra money i would definitely go for it. Just think about the BMW black.....thats exactly what it is
which bmw the new onces
Old 01-18-2003 | 03:09 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

PM njmaxseltd or just wait for him to jump in this thread... he's the one to ask about paintjobs. You're basically lookin for paint w/ pearl in it... (pearl gives it the metallic lustre). I'm not 100% sure about that tho, I'm just repeating what the guy who painted one of my cars said before. good luck
Old 01-18-2003 | 03:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Most Maxima colors are metallic. If they weren't that would mean they are flat, which means they would not be able to sparkle. Doesn't your car sparkle? Anyways, yes you want paint and pearl, that is what most people opt for. But let me warn you, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! There are no good deals unless you own the shop and that's it! Good paint is much more about how it is applied than the quality of paint you use.
-Cyrus
Old 01-18-2003 | 03:28 PM

Originally posted by nadir_s
PM njmaxseltd or just wait for him to jump in this thread... he's the one to ask about paintjobs. You're basically lookin for paint w/ pearl in it... (pearl gives it the metallic lustre). I'm not 100% sure about that tho, I'm just repeating what the guy who painted one of my cars said before. good luck
is yours metallic black
Old 01-18-2003 | 07:33 PM
aka UNCDooD

look at the sig. pearl white 0wnz you all. have a nice day.
Old 01-18-2003 | 11:21 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD
look at the sig. pearl white 0wnz you all. have a nice day.
My '97 SE is the Arctivc Pearl White. When it is by itself, it looks like a shiny white. Next to my wife's white '88 Nissan Pickup, it is obvious it isn't a pure white compared to her's. The color is great, and it will shine! It's also different from other manufacturers white cars.
Only problem I've had with it is with a couple gravel marks... I got the base coat and clear touch up paints by the car's paint code, but it doesn't match at all. The touch up paint is a pure white. The clear was suppose to add the pearl, but it doesn't. A body shop told me that it is pretty much impossible to perfectly match a pearl paint. They said the best to expect would be about a 90% match. Don't know if this is true or not. If you do opt for a pearl or metallic paint, get some of the base and clear from the shop when they mix it so you'll always have touch up paint ready.
But, pearl is a sharp paint. Hope this helps, and if anyone knows of how to exactly match a pearl white, let me know for my touch ups!

Dave
Old 01-19-2003 | 10:10 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

My '97 SE is the Arctivc Pearl White. When it is by itself, it looks like a shiny white. Next to my wife's white '88 Nissan Pickup, it is obvious it isn't a pure white compared to her's. The color is great, and it will shine! It's also different from other manufacturers white cars.
Only problem I've had with it is with a couple gravel marks... I got the base coat and clear touch up paints by the car's paint code, but it doesn't match at all. The touch up paint is a pure white. The clear was suppose to add the pearl, but it doesn't. A body shop told me that it is pretty much impossible to perfectly match a pearl paint. They said the best to expect would be about a 90% match. Don't know if this is true or not. If you do opt for a pearl or metallic paint, get some of the base and clear from the shop when they mix it so you'll always have touch up paint ready.
But, pearl is a sharp paint. Hope this helps, and if anyone knows of how to exactly match a pearl white, let me know for my touch ups!

Dave

you are right. every where i've been to has told me that you can't match the pearl white paint on our cars perfectly. its a 3-stage paint and very hard to match perfectly if not impossible. but if you go to a good body shop that will get it pretty close.
Old 01-19-2003 | 12:55 PM
Banned

My car is black w/ graphite pearl. It is sparkly/metallic when the sun hits it. The total cost of all the stuff I needed to paint my car was 250. So you are looking at spending somewhere close to that amount for paint, give or take.

i think i have a close up pic at my apt, but I wont be able to get to it until tuesday night. If this thread is still around by then I will post it up if you would like.

later
Old 01-19-2003 | 04:16 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by matt calder
My car is black w/ graphite pearl. It is sparkly/metallic when the sun hits it. The total cost of all the stuff I needed to paint my car was 250. So you are looking at spending somewhere close to that amount for paint, give or take.

i think i have a close up pic at my apt, but I wont be able to get to it until tuesday night. If this thread is still around by then I will post it up if you would like.

later
i thought you painted it grey lustre like the 5th gens
Old 01-19-2003 | 04:35 PM

I try to get a suggestion on this and this thread is going somewhere else
Old 01-19-2003 | 05:52 PM
Handsome

Deep Ever Green Metallic
Old 01-19-2003 | 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Street Reeper
Deep Ever Green Metallic
that color is so annoying, i think its black at first and then in the proper light, its green!
Old 01-19-2003 | 07:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by elgatomax

is yours metallic black
nope, just factory SuperBlack. I'm sure you've seen it, it's a flat black but w/ the clearcoat it gives it that mirror finish.

If you're interested at all... here is a quick pic of a closeup shot of the new paint I had put on my first car. The paint is called Gunmetal Pearl but I paid for a bit more pearl to be mixed into it.

close-up shot:

Gunmetal Pearl:

Photoshopped Black (metallic) Pearl:

I hope this gives you an idea of how it would look like. You also asked if anyone can show u pics of a factory black, then u can see em here: http://npx1.cjb.net
Old 01-19-2003 | 07:28 PM

nope, just factory SuperBlack. I'm sure you've seen it, it's a flat black but w/ the clearcoat it gives it that mirror finish.

If you're interested at all... here is a quick pic of a closeup shot of the new paint I had put on my first car. The paint is called Gunmetal Pearl but I paid for a bit more pearl to be mixed into it.

close-up shot:

Gunmetal Pearl:

Photoshopped Black (metallic) Pearl:

I hope this gives you an idea of how it would look like. You also asked if anyone can show u pics of a factory black, then u can see em here: http://npx1.cjb.net

man thanks for that example....so whats better black metallic or getting again factory black
Old 01-19-2003 | 09:08 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

man thanks for that example....so whats better black metallic or getting again factory black

Hmm, depending on how much money you want to spend... gettin back to factory black could be quite expensive (since factory superblack is a stage 2 paintjob). But, if you're willing to spend that much, get the metallic black + the clearcoat on top! Change is always good.
Old 01-19-2003 | 09:20 PM

Hmm, depending on how much money you want to spend... gettin back to factory black could be quite expensive (since factory superblack is a stage 2 paintjob). But, if you're willing to spend that much, get the metallic black + the clearcoat on top! Change is always good.
well the person that is repainting my car is going with the code color that the factory got for the max but i can ask to put metallic in the mix. They charging me 1300 and if i want to put metallic, the cost wont change
Old 01-19-2003 | 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190

that color is so annoying, i think its black at first and then in the proper light, its green!
- i loved it......when i got a ticket once, the cop wrote down black.....when i fought it, it was dismissed cause he wrote down the wrong color
Old 01-19-2003 | 10:27 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

well the person that is repainting my car is going with the code color that the factory got for the max but i can ask to put metallic in the mix. They charging me 1300 and if i want to put metallic, the cost wont change
Is that a stage 2 paint job? Meaning.... base coat (flat black) + clear coat? If it isn't stage 2, then DEFINATELY go for the metallic look. In any other case, i think you should ask them to mix the pearl in there for that metallic finish. Then... take pics and show us!
Old 01-28-2003 | 05:47 PM

pictures of my max getting ready to get repainted to metallic black on thursday i will get it back
Old 01-28-2003 | 07:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

- i loved it......when i got a ticket once, the cop wrote down black.....when i fought it, it was dismissed cause he wrote down the wrong color
Unreal !!!! I'll have to keep that in mind. That is the same color that I have. On overcast days it's black, if it's bright and sunny it's green. I wish it would just pick a color.
Old 01-28-2003 | 08:52 PM

Dave
dude, shame on u, u have a 97 max se and ur wife drives a 88 nissan
what kinda husband are u?
get her a 5th gen or at least a 4 or 6
Old 01-29-2003 | 01:06 AM

Originally posted by tary44

dude, shame on u, u have a 97 max se and ur wife drives a 88 nissan
what kinda husband are u?
get her a 5th gen or at least a 4 or 6
She bought her truck as a young Marine, and refuses to get rid of it. It's the only vehicle she's ever bought herself (and we've been married for 10 years). For some reason, she absolutely loves it. She refuses to drive my car because I'm too **** about it. She loves the fact that I refuse to drive her truck , so she can do whatever she wants with it.
And I have offered to buy her a new vehicle in the near future, but she has refused. She is thinking about a Frontier crew cab in that funky yellow. We both agree it'd have to be the supercharged 4x4.
BTW, she currently drives a company car to work (a '97 Crown Vic). We use the Maxima for family things.
Does this redeem me even a little?

Dave
Old 02-01-2003 | 08:29 PM

Finally i got my max back to me repaited with metallic.. It looks so sweet and nice on the sun...

RIP COLUMBIA 107 CREW
Old 02-02-2003 | 08:59 AM

She bought her truck as a young Marine, and refuses to get rid of it. It's the only vehicle she's ever bought herself (and we've been married for 10 years). For some reason, she absolutely loves it. She refuses to drive my car because I'm too **** about it. She loves the fact that I refuse to drive her truck , so she can do whatever she wants with it.
And I have offered to buy her a new vehicle in the near future, but she has refused. She is thinking about a Frontier crew cab in that funky yellow. We both agree it'd have to be the supercharged 4x4.
BTW, she currently drives a company car to work (a '97 Crown Vic). We use the Maxima for family things.
Does this redeem me even a little?

Dave
she was a Marine??

on topic, how much are those dupont paints? the ones that change colour?