General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Homelink Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 01:33 PM

Hey all...
I don't have one of these in my '93 Maxima, but I do in my '96 Pathfinder. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I called everybody's favorite person, the local dealer, who was no help. He just said keep trying, and eventually it will work. I have tried at least 50 times on separate occasions, to no avail. PLEASE HELP ME! I know some of you 4th and 5th generation folks have these...have you gotten them to work, and how tough was it? Any tips or hints? I followed the instructions to a "t". My garage door opener is only 2 years old, so I know it SHOULD work. Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom!
Old 01-05-2001, 01:58 PM

I have it in my 98 GLE. Follow the quick start guide exactly. Worked on the first try.
Old 01-05-2001, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Isaacm
Hey all...
I don't have one of these in my '93 Maxima, but I do in my '96 Pathfinder. Problem is, I can't get it to work. I called everybody's favorite person, the local dealer, who was no help. He just said keep trying, and eventually it will work. I have tried at least 50 times on separate occasions, to no avail. PLEASE HELP ME! I know some of you 4th and 5th generation folks have these...have you gotten them to work, and how tough was it? Any tips or hints? I followed the instructions to a "t". My garage door opener is only 2 years old, so I know it SHOULD work. Thanks in advance for any help or words of wisdom!
Isaac the reason it will not work is because your garage door has what is called a rolling code. Every time you open or close the door with the transimitter it has a different frequency code. I found this out when mine did not work and I called homelink and my garage door manufacturer.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2001, 03:35 PM

Oh man...

Does this mean that it is a worthless option? I hate those! My garage door opener is very common, I think it's a Stanley. So then does this mean that half of the homelinks out there aren't used? There has to be a way, right? Hey voltman, what brand of garage door opener do you have?
Old 01-05-2001, 03:43 PM

isaac, i believe mine is stanley as well, but it may be a little older than yours. i guess the only thing i can suggest is to make sure you hold the remote right next to the homelink button.

as for rolling codes, isn't there some alternate method that should allow you to use homelink?
Old 01-05-2001, 04:05 PM

True enough

Originally posted by voltman
isaac, i believe mine is stanley as well, but it may be a little older than yours. i guess the only thing i can suggest is to make sure you hold the remote right next to the homelink button.

as for rolling codes, isn't there some alternate method that should allow you to use homelink?
There is an option - it describes in detail about how to program with rolling coded garage door openers. Mine isn't (too old) but I remember reading it. It should take care of your problem. I'll look for mine again tonight and post the instructions and/or scanned pics if it still doesn't work for you. Let me know.

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2001, 04:14 PM

My 99 is Homelink with a 'Rolling Code' feature. It's worked the first time with no problems.
It says to determine if it's rolling, program it first then:
-press the button on your homelink transmitter that you just programmed
-now press the 'program' button on your garage door
-it should now work

Thats directly from my directions.
Old 01-05-2001, 04:58 PM

Not used

I have one on my 98 max, but don't really use it. My garage is too full of junk to fit anything sort of vehichle in there. I didn't try programming it yet, is it hard to do? I figure it would be useful when I need to load and unload supplies out of the trunk of my car.
Old 01-05-2001, 08:07 PM

Re: Oh man...

Originally posted by Isaacm
Does this mean that it is a worthless option? I hate those! My garage door opener is very common, I think it's a Stanley. So then does this mean that half of the homelinks out there aren't used? There has to be a way, right? Hey voltman, what brand of garage door opener do you have?
Because you have the 96 homelink I know yours will not work.
The 99 was adapted to the rolling code. I do not know about 98. I obviously have a 97 and mine is not functional.

Maybe we could find one off a 99 in a junkyard...just a thought
Old 01-06-2001, 07:22 AM

Re: Re: Oh man...

This is what you do.
You program the homelink just like in the quick start manual.
Then you get a ladder and go up to the motor on the garage door opener.
You press the program button by the light.
It should work fine
Old 01-06-2001, 10:01 AM

whoa..i want i want!!

hey hey..where can u get a homelink? i got one on my i30, but not maxima....please help...
Old 01-06-2001, 03:58 PM

Setup

I finally decided to setup the homelink on my 98 max. It was pretty simple even though i had to do it twice. I followed the guide in the manuel, but it didn't work the first time. The reason was that the remote transmitter was not touchig the homelink. after i tried the second time it work right away.
Old 01-10-2001, 02:38 PM

No Luck...

Thanks for all the help everybody, but I can't get it to work. My garage door opener motor has 5 buttons on it, 4 for the height adjustment, and 1 market "remote". I assume that would be the same as a program button. Anyways, I tried several combinations of methods, after following the quickstart manual, with no luck. My '96 does not have a section on rolling codes. Any more suggestions? I am about to give up, but I can't let go.....

Here are the steps I took...

clear out all three buttons as explained in the manual, and then program one. I takes about 10-30 seconds, and then flashes real fast like it's taken the program. Then I did hit the "remote" button on the motor (which stays on for 30 seconds) and then pushed the button I just programed. Nothing.

I think nismomaxse97 is right, it don't work.

Thanks again...
Old 01-10-2001, 03:54 PM
bigsexyfrost

need home link help

i just bought a used 97 maxima gle it has home link but it sisnt come with a catalog and the dealer was absolutely no help can someone please tell me what to do or a website with instructions? any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-10-2001, 05:29 PM

Re: No Luck...

Hey Isaacm

The only thing you can do is to find a 98+ in a junkyard
and fit it into your visor.

I am currently looking already, if it would stop freaking raining already I might find it.

With all of this I am assuming the brain of this homelink is in the visor.
Old 01-10-2001, 05:33 PM

Re: need home link help

Originally posted by bigsexyfrost
i just bought a used 97 maxima gle it has home link but it sisnt come with a catalog and the dealer was absolutely no help can someone please tell me what to do or a website with instructions? any help would be greatly appreciated
I have the original instructions, but chances are if your garage door opener is anywhat close to being modern then it probably will not work. It seems that 98 is the first year they programmed it with rolling code.

If you want the instructions email me at brettbull@ragingbull.com
Old 01-10-2001, 09:14 PM
Maxx Atlanta

Getting Spoiler Brake light to Blink!!

I have not seen it done on a 5th gen yet but does anyone know or have developed a way to get the 5th gen spoiler brake light to blink like the 4th gen. '99 model when brake are applied!!.