General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My Maxima sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 11:53 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm who could this be, and what time is that ............ I know theres excuses to why this time is so high

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm with 5.0THIS on this subject, Im just waiting for the big BOOM myself

(Ducks and runs)
Old 01-29-2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by turbo97SE
Yeah, whatever ... You are one of the really mature ones here I can tell! I'll be at the track first chance I get this year. Some of us have to work you know? Plus going really fast in a straight line isn't my idea of fun ... kicking unsuspecting Corvette's butts on the street is more fun. Don't waste my time! It's all about having fun not about proving myself to immature woofters!

Ok so let me get this straight you wont go to the track and race in a straight line but you'll do it on the street where you put other people in danger... Doesnt seem to add up to me.

Not to knock you car, if it truly can produce that power then thats great, but i've seen alot of turbo cars up here that have dynoed come out with inflated numbers due to the correction factors being off, doesnt seem to affect NA cars as much.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Tikigod ZX
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm who could this be, and what time is that ............ I know theres excuses to why this time is so high

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm with 5.0THIS on this subject, Im just waiting for the big BOOM myself

(Ducks and runs)
This is a great pic, I never knew this existed! The clutch just kinda slipped from 3000 rpm to 6500 rpm which is why I couldn't get anywhere ... excuses I know but on a stock clutch ... only to be expected. I don't want to argue ... I'll just go to the track. As far as street racing goes, I don't do a lot of that, you might want to take note that I don't post a lot about road kills ... just the odd one here and there my car is too sleepy looking to attract racers ... still more fun than at the track no matter what anyone says ... it's a street car not a drag car!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok so let me get this straight you wont go to the track and race in a straight line but you'll do it on the street where you put other people in danger... Doesnt seem to add up to me.

Not to knock you car, if it truly can produce that power then thats great, but i've seen alot of turbo cars up here that have dynoed come out with inflated numbers due to the correction factors being off, doesnt seem to affect NA cars as much.

Someone must have really riled you up to bring you back from the dead...

Old 01-30-2003, 08:09 AM

Ok forget about all the correction factors ... Let's say I go uncorrected here. I still get about 345 HP which ain't to shabby for a family sedan and is still pretty high compared to other boosted Maximas. In any case, I am waiting for guys to install their kits at sea-level so we can end any arguments about corrections factors and get some real information. Even then I am sure there will be doubters, but what can you do? If you can get me "real" correction factors, I will use them. I don't mean just some number you can think of but some real correction factor. In future, I should just post uncorrected dynos I guess.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:17 AM

As long as its fun!

Even top fuel drag races can be hard to compare apples to apples, those guys biotch about lane choices, good gawd! I'm impressed with what nigel has done!

As long as he enjoys what he does!!!
Old 01-30-2003, 11:53 AM

Ok forget about all the correction factors ... Let's say I go uncorrected here. I still get about 345 HP which ain't to shabby for a family sedan and is still pretty high compared to other boosted Maximas. In any case, I am waiting for guys to install their kits at sea-level so we can end any arguments about corrections factors and get some real information. Even then I am sure there will be doubters, but what can you do? If you can get me "real" correction factors, I will use them. I don't mean just some number you can think of but some real correction factor. In future, I should just post uncorrected dynos I guess.
that's just it, you shouldnt be using correction factors. and I got my correction factor going by what seems to be accurate range for here 1.22-1.24 on average. And you still havent answered what type of fuel you were using at 12.5 psi boost?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS

that's just it, you shouldnt be using correction factors. and I got my correction factor going by what seems to be accurate range for here 1.22-1.24 on average. And you still havent answered what type of fuel you were using at 12.5 psi boost?
It's his daily driver, I doubt he is using more than 91 pump gas...

Old 01-30-2003, 01:02 PM

And you still havent answered what type of fuel you were using at 12.5 psi boost?
I run 93oct on my 14psi SC motor? Acording to the J&S it starts to detonate at ~10psi...Whats it to ya?
Old 01-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

I run 93oct on my 14psi SC motor? Acording to the J&S it starts to detonate at ~10psi...Whats it to ya?
Is there a thread on how to setup and tune a J&S?

I'd like to know how it tells you it starts to detonate at ~10psi.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by MadMax95

It's his daily driver, I doubt he is using more than 91 pump gas...

That would be right! I am running 91 octane (the highest easily available). Here in CO we have some ethanol added to our fuel (10%?). That helps raise flashpoint of the fuel so it should help prevent detonation. All my runs are with pump gas. I don't see any reason to use race gas. It is my daily driver. As far as correction factors are concerned, there SHOULD be a correction factor even for boosted engines unless you run like 20+ psi. If you want to take uncorrected, that's fine ... whatever makes you happier. I am happy with what I have except the tires spin when I don't want them to. Even if you want to use a correction factor of 0.5, I don't really care! I know what I have
Old 01-30-2003, 04:31 PM

As far as correction factors are concerned, there SHOULD be a correction factor even for boosted engines unless you run like 20+ psi. If you want to take uncorrected, that's fine ... whatever makes you happier. I am happy with what I have except the tires spin when I don't want them to. Even if you want to use a correction factor of 0.5, I don't really care! I know what I have
Sure, there should be a correction factor, but it's next to nothing for you.

You know what you have? You have a car that has more power than it can possibly ever put down. How is it that all that power is making your car faster, when it all it does is blow away your tires? On pump gas with your guy's compression, I would say it is near impossible to get over 400hp at the wheels with 24 psiA (Absolute manifold pressure, 12 psi ambient+12 psi boost, which, if you want to identify that in sea level terms, would be 14.7psi ambient+9.3 psi boost, 24 psiA total, again) and I think 349 whp is pushing it. But please, I'd love for you to prove me wrong.... bring your car to bandi and let's see what it will run.... I dont know many people that will dump such an inordinate amount of money into their car to make it go faster in a straight line and then not want to go to the strip to get real world numbers. Dyno numbers are cute but they dont mean **** if you cant do anything with that power. Most people on here are woofters then huh? They go to the strip. Nobody's asking you to prove anything, but you post often enough about your very lofty dyno numbers, and at this point there's been enough talk about that, let's see some timeslips. Dont you have any interest yourself in finding out wether your car has gotten any faster? I should hope you'll see better than 18s, dont you?

Andy
Old 01-30-2003, 04:45 PM

Either way....its one damn fast car!!!

Nigel, when you go to Bandi we need to have a meet planned, so we can all be there to see some 12's....heck 13's with wheel spin and still beating Vette's!!
Old 01-30-2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Is there a thread on how to setup and tune a J&S?

I'd like to know how it tells you it starts to detonate at ~10psi.

Thanks.
Search some of my older posts I think I have talked about it before.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Ludicrous Speed

hmmm... it must suck to have a performance car in colorado. There's a claim that scientifically Nigel is ONLY running around 350fwhp to just say a #... that's at 12.5psi of boost. I remember the story where Nigel was right on a Z06's **** and that was when he was like at 11.5psi or something (that would mean less than 350fwhp). So the altitude in CO makes it so that the Z06 was putting down just a little more than the less than 350fwhp that Nigel was putting down? I can't remember if it was a Z06 or not. Either way, I don't know much about vette's but i think they have upwards of 400HP right?
Old 01-31-2003, 01:38 AM

Just for the record, I went back and checked the dyno numbers uncorrected, they are actually 364.7 HP I had just guessed at what the correction factor was before. As far as the correction factor being next to nothing, I KNOW for a fact you are wrong on this.

Try going to this link (there are others too!):

http://home.austin.rr.com/turbolexus..._Dyno_Calc.htm

You'll find that you need to be pushing about 90 psi(g) [g - meaning boost on your gauge] and the correction factor is still about 1.7%. For what I was running it should be about 8.9% according to the calculator. I don't really consider that nothing.

Like I said before and I will say again take whatever numbers you like. Argue as much as you like! Everyone everywhere uses SAE corrected numbers, I was following suit, perhaps blindly so but even many of the shops do. Thank you for making me aware of the flaw. This "discussion" has made me research this subject. As far as running 18's Yeah, should be a little better than that. Considering NA automatics can do 15s and 16s up here.

Only real woolly woofters would be really concerned about being called woofters.

Oh .. oh .. and "who crapped in your cornflakes? ... " what wonderous repartee!

Just curious, what do you drive ... a 'Stang?

Sure, there should be a correction factor, but it's next to nothing for you.

You know what you have? You have a car that has more power than it can possibly ever put down. How is it that all that power is making your car faster, when it all it does is blow away your tires? On pump gas with your guy's compression, I would say it is near impossible to get over 400hp at the wheels with 24 psiA (Absolute manifold pressure, 12 psi ambient+12 psi boost, which, if you want to identify that in sea level terms, would be 14.7psi ambient+9.3 psi boost, 24 psiA total, again) and I think 349 whp is pushing it. But please, I'd love for you to prove me wrong.... bring your car to bandi and let's see what it will run.... I dont know many people that will dump such an inordinate amount of money into their car to make it go faster in a straight line and then not want to go to the strip to get real world numbers. Dyno numbers are cute but they dont mean **** if you cant do anything with that power. Most people on here are woofters then huh? They go to the strip. Nobody's asking you to prove anything, but you post often enough about your very lofty dyno numbers, and at this point there's been enough talk about that, let's see some timeslips. Dont you have any interest yourself in finding out wether your car has gotten any faster? I should hope you'll see better than 18s, dont you?

Andy
Old 01-31-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by Jr'sMaxima
Either way....its one damn fast car!!!

Nigel, when you go to Bandi we need to have a meet planned, so we can all be there to see some 12's....heck 13's with wheel spin and still beating Vette's!!

You might want to pull your face out of Nigels ***...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by max002
hmmm... it must suck to have a performance car in colorado. There's a claim that scientifically Nigel is ONLY running around 350fwhp to just say a #... that's at 12.5psi of boost. I remember the story where Nigel was right on a Z06's **** and that was when he was like at 11.5psi or something (that would mean less than 350fwhp). So the altitude in CO makes it so that the Z06 was putting down just a little more than the less than 350fwhp that Nigel was putting down? I can't remember if it was a Z06 or not. Either way, I don't know much about vette's but i think they have upwards of 400HP right?
A NA 400hp ZO6 in Colorado is hurting because of the air density, so its not making 400hp, more like 350hp. Because their is less air to suck in. With a turbo you set the boost controller to a boost level, say 12psiG, and it will force the turbo to work harder to bring in enough air to make that setting. The turbo is working harder, spinning faster etc.., but you still get 12psiG, unless the turbo max's out. SC cars are also effected by altitute as if they were NA, the impeller is connected to the crank so its will only spin a preset amount, if the air density is less it will suck in less air. So the altitude portion of the correction factors is not fully aplicable to turbo cars, but it is to SC and NA.

Either way Nigels car is fast and thats all that really matters.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Either way Nigels car is fast and thats all that really matters.
You hit the nail on the head. I dont know why people are giving Nigel such a hard time. 1/4 times are very good information, but dont always paint the whole picture. Nigels car will not run its fullest potential down the 1/4 because of traction. From a roll, his car will be faster than a lot of cars that smoke him down the 1/4, due to traction.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM

With all that power, would an LSD tranny and maybe even taller profile tires be in your future? Gotta find a way to spread out and put all that power down.

DW
Old 01-31-2003, 09:36 AM

A ZO6 in colorado puts down about 280-290rwhp, uncorrected. they turn mid-high 13s at bandi. they trap around 105
Old 01-31-2003, 10:35 AM

The only thing my nose smells is burnt rubber from all the power being put down and not holding, haha. Seriously though, that car is gonna fly. I wish I had the money to do something like that to mine.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:48 PM

This is too much. I'd be happy with an 8psi daily driver ~300+whp and a relatively safe engine than with a 12+psi ~425+whp and an engine on the verge of sending the pistons through the hood
Old 01-31-2003, 09:15 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

nigel if i were you i would dyno everyday and keep posting the numbers... and never go to the track.. i cant believe people get so worked up about you going to the track. big deal. just cause you got a turbo you have to go the track? turtle has had a turbo and a built motor for years ...i dont see no one bugging him to dyno or go the track.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:24 PM

Hehe ... I have sat in his car and it's plenty quick! Well, turtle doesn't even bother with posting dyno numbers either, he just enjoys his car ... although sometimes I wonder if he enjoys it cos it's been giving him problems since he had the engine built! Whenever one posts "lofty" numbers one always has to expect challenges from non-believers ... and it's OK when people actually know what they are talking about! OK, whatever! I am still waiting for other people to put their kits on! What's taking so long guys?

Originally posted by nismo2020
nigel if i were you i would dyno everyday and keep posting the numbers... and never go to the track.. i cant believe people get so worked up about you going to the track. big deal. just cause you got a turbo you have to go the track? turtle has had a turbo and a built motor for years ...i dont see no one bugging him to dyno or go the track.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:52 PM

Hehe ... I have sat in his car and it's plenty quick! Well, turtle doesn't even bother with posting dyno numbers either, he just enjoys his car ... although sometimes I wonder if he enjoys it cos it's been giving him problems since he had the engine built! Whenever one posts "lofty" numbers one always has to expect challenges from non-believers ... and it's OK when people actually know what they are talking about! OK, whatever! I am still waiting for other people to put their kits on! What's taking so long guys?

Dang and if I was to ever consider turboing my 2nd gen vg30e is all I would want would be a nice even 200 at the wheels. Why so low well because itd be about an 80whp difference than what I have now. And I know Id feel that, for sho.

Nigel man youve done a great job with this car. Its always expected of challengers of knowledge and information when posting such things. Is all is needed is that damn good feeling and a smile while youre driving that beast. Thats one hellofa ride no matter how you put it!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

not beat a dead horse

how much more proof do they want.. you sell the freaking kit for christ sake!

im assuming the guys who have bought your kit are just trying to keep things on the DL.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:46 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: not beat a dead horse

Originally posted by nismo2020

how much more proof do they want.. you sell the freaking kit for christ sake!

im assuming the guys who have bought your kit are just trying to keep things on the DL.
She's going under the knife tomorrow as soon as my friends arrive.
Okay, maybe a couple games of Ghost Recon or NFL 2k3 first but then
for sure.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I am still waiting for other people to put their kits on! What's taking so long guys?
Getting SS braided oil return line with 90 degree fitting custom made... it should be in by Wednesday. I'm basically done with the install (does not include boost controller and turbo timer).
Old 02-01-2003, 08:08 PM

Re: Re: not beat a dead horse

Originally posted by joaquink

She's going under the knife tomorrow as soon as my friends arrive.
Okay, maybe a couple games of Ghost Recon or NFL 2k3 first but then
for sure.

What time?

I'd like to help/watch if you don't mind.

Alex
Old 02-01-2003, 09:12 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Re: Re: not beat a dead horse

Originally posted by IceY2K1

What time?

I'd like to help/watch if you don't mind.

Alex
Alex, sorry, I forgot to pop you an e-mail and let you know we were
getting goin. We hit a few snags and need some info (parts ??) from
Nigel to continue. If we can continue tomorrow I'll send you a note.

Thanks!

Joaquin
Old 02-03-2003, 04:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: not beat a dead horse

Originally posted by joaquink

Alex, sorry, I forgot to pop you an e-mail and let you know we were
getting goin. We hit a few snags and need some info (parts ??) from
Nigel to continue. If we can continue tomorrow I'll send you a note.

Thanks!

Joaquin
NP. I'd like to help if possible.

Let me know when you are working on it and I'll try to make it.

Thanks,

Alex
Old 02-03-2003, 04:20 PM

turbo97SE

You got mail!
Old 07-01-2004, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
This is a great pic, I never knew this existed! The clutch just kinda slipped from 3000 rpm to 6500 rpm which is why I couldn't get anywhere ... excuses I know but on a stock clutch ... only to be expected. I don't want to argue ... I'll just go to the track. As far as street racing goes, I don't do a lot of that, you might want to take note that I don't post a lot about road kills ... just the odd one here and there my car is too sleepy looking to attract racers ... still more fun than at the track no matter what anyone says ... it's a street car not a drag car!
Would you have any installation pics on you for the turbo? Im having trouble with mine. More detailed, the fmu and oil return line. Any info will help thanks.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
Would you have any installation pics on you for the turbo? Im having trouble with mine. More detailed, the fmu and oil return line. Any info will help thanks.

Nigel hardly checks the forums.. do you have a PFI Kit? if so let me know
Old 07-02-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
Nigel hardly checks the forums.. do you have a PFI Kit? if so let me know
Yea the pfi kit. The instruction guide that came with it was like half dipped in oil or chicken fat, not too sure. Having trouble with some of the parts. Pfi is no help either since the new site opened, havent gotten any responds. Can you help?
Old 07-02-2004, 07:46 AM

Technically It Blows!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxima_kid
Yea the pfi kit. The instruction guide that came with it was like half dipped in oil or chicken fat, not too sure. Having trouble with some of the parts. Pfi is no help either since the new site opened, havent gotten any responds. Can you help?

i had the original instructions.. it wasn't plug and play but it wasn't hard to figure out..

pm me with some specific questions.. i might be able to help
Old 07-02-2004, 10:41 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by SterlingMist00
Congrats on the figures. Question.....How many chickens are you using to spool up that Turbo since you only made a "poultry" 429.7hp?....

Yum, poultry.

Yuck, pawltry poultry.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by turbo97SE
Dude

I think you underestimate our motors. I have turned the boost down a touch to 11 psi for daily driving. It still makes 417 HP which is OK for daily driving . The only reason I did that was cos I am running a little lean up top. Once I swap the injectors, that boost is going up baby! Add a small shot of nitrous too! The boost will go up until the motor or something else gives. I am starting my motor build (finally) I have decided on Arias pistons and Eagle rods. I won't do any head work just yet ... heads are easier than bottom ends.
beautiful numbers, just be careful i pushed mine to the limits with 11lbs and 50 shot and now i have to replace my seals and gaskets blew those suckers right out. our cars can only take so much period. this is what im doing right now.

Quick Reply: My Maxima sucks!!!