General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

2001 "road & track" road test results>>

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 08:56 PM

i was reading "Road Test Annual 2001" which will be coming out in the futer sometime (don't know exactly when, cause the issue says 'display until 7/24/01". i work at a place that works on a bunch of mags, and road & track is one of them, so i get to see what issues are coming out before they ever hit the stands. it's funny, but the corvette picture in the front was NEVER moving... it's all digital (like many photos, where backgrounds are added, trees are blurred, metal harnesses are digitally removed from the photography equipment that's hooked up to the cars that pull them...etc!! 8) that's pretty much w/ any magazine.

in the issue, it road tested the camry xle v-6, pontiac grand prix GT, ford taurus se, honda accord ex v-6, and maxima se.

the Ranking:

#1 - Nissan Maxima SE
#2 - Honda Accord EX V-6
#3 - Pontiac Grand Prix GT
#4 - Ford Taurus SE
#5 - Toyota Camry (even though they mention it was the best selling in '99)

some good words of the maxima by some of the editors are:

a feature editor says, "Easy choice here - the Nissan Maxima, a shark amongst a school of groupers."

another editor said, "The easy choice here would be the maxima...and i'm running with it. it's blend of agility, high revving power, refinement and surefooted precision outweighs my indifference about its styling....."

another said, "However, pre-parenthood, i'd have gone for the maxima, certainly the best blend of performance and design in the group."

and "The maxima drops in with aggressive style and best-handling chassis." by another editor.

Old 01-06-2001, 09:15 PM

Man thanx for the heads up and the quotes! I can't wait to read it myself...
Old 01-06-2001, 09:17 PM

no prob

.. it was good to hear good things about the max.

Originally posted by DaEnigma
Man thanx for the heads up and the quotes! I can't wait to read it myself...
Old 01-06-2001, 09:23 PM

Dude, that's an article from Road and Track alright, except it's from May 2000. I just checked to make sure b/c the comments sounded so familiar, and sure enough...the issue I bought last year b/c the Max was rated so well is the same one you're referring too. Sorry man, what you thought was top secret info was released to the rest of the world 8 months ago.
Old 01-06-2001, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sprung

Dude, that's an article from Road and Track alright, except it's from May 2000...
Yup. But the words ring just as true today as they did back then.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, the Road Test Annuals are always just road tests from the previous year put together into one magazine.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Road and Track has always been pretty nice to the maxima. Now if we could only get those C&D boys in shape.

Chris
Old 01-07-2001, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by sprung
Dude, that's an article from Road and Track alright, except it's from May 2000. I just checked to make sure b/c the comments sounded so familiar, and sure enough...the issue I bought last year b/c the Max was rated so well is the same one you're referring too. Sorry man, what you thought was top secret info was released to the rest of the world 8 months ago.
I knew all this sounded familiar!

From what I remember, the Pontiac kicked butt in the speed performance catagories but sucked at the subjective ratings.
Old 01-07-2001, 10:15 AM

know your competion

Originally posted by kafene
i was reading "Road Test Annual 2001" which will be coming out in the futer sometime (don't know exactly when, cause the issue says 'display until 7/24/01". i work at a place that works on a bunch of mags, and road & track is one of them, so i get to see what issues are coming out before they ever hit the stands. it's funny, but the corvette picture in the front was NEVER moving... it's all digital (like many photos, where backgrounds are added, trees are blurred, metal harnesses are digitally removed from the photography equipment that's hooked up to the cars that pull them...etc!! 8) that's pretty much w/ any magazine.

in the issue, it road tested the camry xle v-6, pontiac grand prix GT, ford taurus se, honda accord ex v-6, and maxima se.

the Ranking:

#1 - Nissan Maxima SE
#2 - Honda Accord EX V-6
#3 - Pontiac Grand Prix GT
#4 - Ford Taurus SE
#5 - Toyota Camry (even though they mention it was the best selling in '99)

some good words of the maxima by some of the editors are:

a feature editor says, "Easy choice here - the Nissan Maxima, a shark amongst a school of groupers."

another editor said, "The easy choice here would be the maxima...and i'm running with it. it's blend of agility, high revving power, refinement and surefooted precision outweighs my indifference about its styling....."

another said, "However, pre-parenthood, i'd have gone for the maxima, certainly the best blend of performance and design in the group."

and "The maxima drops in with aggressive style and best-handling chassis." by another editor.

I would say the article clearly shows who maxima's competition is. Absent are 325i, A4, Acura TL, costing very little more than an SE. Why? Because Maxima is not in their league. To beat a V6 Camry, must make those 50 year-olds really bummed out. Bet dollars to donuts Nissan is out this decade with sytling. Hard to move from 3 steps behind to even with the pack. Let's talk 5 years from now, my chips are on a pony called Hyundai, but I'll be driving a BMW hehehwe