General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

does anybody transport their dog in the Max?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 03:42 PM

does anybody transport their dog in the Max?

My dog owns the back seat, which is inconvenient for humans due to the hair. He occasionally will climb into the front too which means hair all over. Just curious if anybody got a good system down as far as dogs go (blanket, pillow, etc.). I probably would have crated him if the crate could fit, but obviously the Max rear seat is too small for that. So my 72 lb. boy owns it!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:28 PM

I have a smaller dog, so he usually sits up front. But anyway, when I need to take him someplace, I usually throw a few towels on the seat. This way the hair is easy to clean up.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Blu
the tits

yes I do I have a 8lb italian greyhound
Old 01-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I took my Golden to the Vet once...that was months ago and I still get covered every time I get in the car...
Old 01-31-2003, 05:28 PM

I have a beagle and I got a 20" crate which just barely fits into the backseat of my 3rd gen. Any bigger and it wouldn't fit through the door. He usually sits up front with the wife, but if he acts up, it's into the crate we go!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: does anybody transport their dog in the Max?

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
My dog owns the back seat, which is inconvenient for humans due to the hair. He occasionally will climb into the front too which means hair all over. Just curious if anybody got a good system down as far as dogs go (blanket, pillow, etc.). I probably would have crated him if the crate could fit, but obviously the Max rear seat is too small for that. So my 72 lb. boy owns it!
We haul our 2 Boston Terriers around. They are in front then the back then up front again. Minimal hair, they are short haired dogs. They know the word ride and they love to do it. Say the word and they are jumping up and down at the door!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

put them in a big plastic bag with a cut out for the head
Old 01-31-2003, 09:15 PM

My pug rolls with me all the time. Talk about a chick magnet.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:47 AM

no dog, but my cat rides with me occasionally. it's difficult to keep him in one place though, although he likes to sit on the passenger headrest and stare out the window.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
You're not kidding! It's amazing how many hot chicks at work will come to my desk and say, "I haven't seen a picture of your puppy." Then when you bring it up, they're all starry-eyed saying "he's soooooooo cute, awwwwwwwww...." Chicks love animals and babies. This vet tech was kissing my dog, I was like da**, what about me?!
Old 02-01-2003, 05:21 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Pugs rule. The only time our pug goes in my car is if he sits on my GF's lap. Then I need to spend like 2 hours cleaning up every piece of hair.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A friend of mine had a Dalmation that went everywhere with him. He took the passenger seat out and rigged up a doggy-stay-put device. It was funny seeing him and the dog "sitting" in the car!
Old 02-01-2003, 06:09 AM
ThisMax2NV

4 Pitbulls

I have 4 PitBulls but they dont all ride with me. 1 at a time.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:59 AM
I am Roid Rage

Tan interior owns joo!

I’ve got a Shepherd/coyote mix. He rides in the back. I just tuck a sheet in all around the seat. He probably goes for at least 2 rides a week with minimal hair problems. This the only reason why I’m happy with my tan interior.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:54 PM

the dog

i have a 160lbs ruttie i usualy brush his hair before i put him in the car but ussually i still find hair all over, i just hate wen he drows all over the doors
Old 02-04-2003, 04:11 PM

I have a couple of black mini schnauzers. One likes to drive, the other hates it. The guy that hates it has this tendancy to put his claws into my door arm rests. Luckily, he just leaves indentations and they go away after the sun hits the panel for a while.

Since schnauzers are wire haired, they don't really shed so they get the back seat in either Max "au natural". If I have to take them in the car when their paws are wet, I do put a couple of beach towels across the base and backrest of the backseat so they don't mess up the tan cloth. Oh yeah, I have to stack stuff like my CD case on my arm rest so the daredevil of the two doesn't leap into the front seat.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:15 AM

I have a beige interior and picked out a pitbull with a gold colored coat. She's short haired and doesn't shed much, so for the most part no problems...but then her coat matches my interior so well I probably wouldn't notice a problem untill I actually sit in my back seat with darker colored clothing
Old 02-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Boost.....

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
yes I do I have a 8lb italian greyhound
We use to have an Iggy. His name is Bugsy. (Italian Mobster)
Old 02-05-2003, 01:06 PM

My girlfriend has a standard poodle. Jet black, so it matches the interior( Black blanket on back seat) and does not shed. It is a very well behaved dog but I have no patience for it when it gets excited and jumps around. (especially on the front leather seats) When she get hiped up I give a little tap on the brakes and it scares the crap out of her(not literally). The funny thing my girlfriend now does it to her when she is driving.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:52 PM

Re: the dog

Originally posted by espimax
i have a 160lbs ruttie i usualy brush his hair before i put him in the car but ussually i still find hair all over, i just hate wen he drows all over the doors
Ouch, that's a big boy. I almost adopted a St. Bernard female, but I started thinking really hard about her being 175 lbs. They bump into furniture by accident and stuff gets broken. And I heard they drool alot too.. They have a saying about St. Bernards..."no, they wont eat you out of house and home"
Old 02-05-2003, 10:58 PM

I take my dog on occasions to Petsmart in my maxima. She's a 75lbs German Shepard and about the most hyperactive animal I've ever had, but she rides good in the car, and at least she doesn't get carsick like my previous dog.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
It was funny seeing him and the dog "sitting" in the car!
I've seen that before and it's hilarious. Me and my girl have a small beagle and I usually bring like 2 blankets to cover the back and passenger seats. She sheds a little so the blankets help a little, until she decides to look out the driverside window.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Banned

Slightly off topic here...Anyone know how much a well bred German Shepherd pup goes for nowadays (male)?

Also, the males usually get up to what, like 110lbs at full maturity?

I'm kind of contemplating getting one, so just wanted this quick bit of info.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 AM
Grand Nagus Zek

2 Doberman Pinschers: Crusie with Caution !

Live and learn my friends ... I have 2 Doberman Pinchers. One 100 pounds and the other 80 pounds. I would take them to the vet and to the park. It was a nice routine until: My shifter boot got smashed, my back seat turned into a small sand pit, and a foreign coat manufactor called me and asked if they could send a few people over to collect all the hair in my car. Of course I told them NO ! Then you noticed the leather is discolored from dirt, grit, and grim. Hey, I love my dobes as much as any other canine lover, but i finally put my foot down. Those dirty dobes of mine are banned..! In the end, i totally disasembled my interior, cleaned everything with citrus, lifter 1, and some insane leather cleaner at walmart ..awesome...In conclusion...if you have big crazy dogs like me...dont try it ..you will lose ! Get yourself a cheap used japanese truck/suv and have a go ! O crazy enough, my male has blown the horn a few times on accident...but it was sure a trip to hear a horn and look over at th car and see him looking at me...like hey dude let me out...and once i was trying to be bright and let the car stay running...he hit the windows on accident, rolled the window down..and then i return to hear him barking and being a complete nuisance to people ..that crazy dog

Old 02-06-2003, 11:39 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by vito1281
Slightly off topic here...Anyone know how much a well bred German Shepherd pup goes for nowadays (male)?

Thanks.
About $500 and up. Check for hip problems. And just something to keep in mind. Its just like having a kid. Lots of time and effort if you want him to be sometone that you're proud of. And don't get him if you don't plan on/have time to exercise him for at least 45 mins. a day. Very demanding dogs but they are extremely intelligent and loyal.

And to keep in on topic...Maxima.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Blu
the tits

My guard dog back home
Old 02-06-2003, 05:43 PM

If you have leather it's not so bad with cloth you'll never get it out I have a cover for the back that covers the headrest down to the carpet on the floor.....constant cleaning
Old 02-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Tie the dog to the bumper. He'll keep up.

Seriously, I've seen special dog blankets for back seats. It looks kinda like a hammock, because the ends and sides are pulled up so dog won't claw around the interior. It is padded, like a moving blanket, and has a ****-proof liner. I saw it in a magazine. Some of those bed/cargo liner companies sells them. It was about $50-75 bucks as I recall. I thought of getting one, but I take my dog in my truck, and keep my car clean. My dog hates my car.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by vito1281

Thanks.
Vito, prices for german shepherds vary significantly depending on what you really want, where you live, what kind of lines you are interested in, etc. I got my german shepherd just over a year ago from reputable local dealers for $400 but that's on the low end. I have the pedigree almost 7-8 generations back and he's mostly from West German show lines. The dog has turned into a beautiful companion with great temperament. Staying on topic, I did transport him to the vet in the Max a few times when he was a pup and he never really tore up the leather or messed up otherwise. It has been much easier to haul him around in our SUV with plenty of room and easily cleanable plastic cargo tray. With shepherds, bigger is not always better, ideally you would want a female that's 23-25" tall and around 70 to 80lbs, a male is usually 26-27" and up to 100lbs. The actual breed standards are even smaller than what I mentioned. There are huge shepherds but many suffer from hip dysplasia due to the weight.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Jer

I just bought my gf her own car...

Old 02-11-2003, 11:02 AM
I need a truck

Re: Re: does anybody transport their dog in the Max?

120 pound great pyranees ... big, long hair, black interior with white hair = ... anyway my system is that he's so big he'll only stay in the back, so therefore i take a blanket and tuck it in on my whole back seat that seams to do thee trick with the hair .... but the drool however is another story