General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2000, 12:35 AM

Has anybody put a trailer hitch on their car? I have a '95 GLE w/ H&Rs and 17 inch rims, and I am considering towing a dirtbike on a three-bike trailer. The trip is 900 miles over mountains (Seattle to Utah), and after that it would only be short trips, but with 2 or 3 bikes. Is this a really bad idea? Is there a hitch available that isn't very visible? Any experiences/advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2000, 02:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a hitch on my Maxima. They don't make one thats not visible, but its not an eyesore either. I got mine put on by a custom truck place. My dealer said that the Max is able to pull up to 3000 lbs. I wouldn't go that high for a long distance, but I've pulled 3 dirt bikes on a trailer before. I also pull my jetski's around, and once I pulled a 17' Bayliner around. I almost didn't make it out of the lake with that boat, though. I've also pulled a 22' boat on a double axle trailer. It weighed around 2800lbs not including the trailer. This was a big boat! It had brakes on the trailer, but I didn't have a way to hook them up. I just pulled that one a very short distance. It shouldn't hurt the Max at all to pull those dirt bikes. Just take it easy, like around 60 mph for the first 100 or so miles to let everything wear in to the heavier load. It really should be more like 500 miles, but who wants to drive 60mph for 500 miles!
Old 02-22-2001, 11:08 AM

Hitches?

I just stopped off at Tim Dahle Nissan in Sandy to check out a new Max that they have there, and on their showroom floor they had this trailer on display called the Shaddo. Man, I need to get me a hitch so I can get one!

Brandonj - Did you ever get your hitch? How did it go? Or why didn't you get one?
Old 02-22-2001, 11:46 PM

Yeah, I got my hitch. The car tows very well - I think the H&R's actually help stabilize it. Even at 90 mph it was rock steady. And even with three bikes, it has plenty of power and stops well. The only problem I have is that with the terrible roads here I bang the thing a couple of times a week. I had a shop do it, but I would do it myself if I had it to do over again. I will tell you this though, I get a lot of puzzled stares when I am towing with my "lowrider".
Old 02-23-2001, 05:49 AM

Re: Hitches?

Originally posted by strattao
I just stopped off at Tim Dahle Nissan in Sandy to check out a new Max that they have there, and on their showroom floor they had this trailer on display called the Shaddo. Man, I need to get me a hitch so I can get one!
So what is this Shaddo, you speak of? Im going to be getting a quadrunner this spring and am either going to get a older nissan or toyota truck, but not sure if I want to spend the cash on a truck when I can throw more money at the quad. SO my maxima might be it, just checking out what setups are out there.

BTW, how long ago were you at Tim Dahle? I might need to make a trip out and check that trailer.
Old 02-23-2001, 07:06 AM

Just Last Week - Mid of Feb

Go to <a href="http://www.shaddo.com">www.shaddo.com</a> I don't know that it will work for hauling around a quad, but it is great for weekend golf trips like the ones I take all the time! Especially when I travel with my buddies, we can take one car! Check it out anyways.

- Strat