General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Well, I've been driving my 99 Maxima for a year now almost to the day and I still love the car and look forward to driving it every time I get in it. I was sooo bored with my Accord after like 6 months, but never really realized what I was missing until I got the Maxima.

I put 23,000 miles on this car in the past year, and I've enjoyed every single one of them, and the VQ is a big part of that. So smooth and muscular sounding, and much more powerful (total power under the curve) than the 190HP rating suggests. This car is the biggest sleeper too. Everybody thinks only the new Max's are fast, but they all seem to forget that even the old ones will lay down some serious smack too, even on some luxury-brand cars with considerably more horsepower.

Anyways, this car rocks! No regrets whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Well, I've been driving my 99 Maxima for a year now almost to the day and I still love the car and look forward to driving it every time I get in it. I was sooo bored with my Accord after like 6 months, but never really realized what I was missing until I got the Maxima.

I put 23,000 miles on this car in the past year, and I've enjoyed every single one of them, and the VQ is a big part of that. So smooth and muscular sounding, and much more powerful (total power under the curve) than the 190HP rating suggests. This car is the biggest sleeper too. Everybody thinks only the new Max's are fast, but they all seem to forget that even the old ones will lay down some serious smack too, even on some luxury-brand cars with considerably more horsepower.

:jump
you know... every once in a while it's great to hear a post from a satisfied owner who understands what a maxima is. it's a low cost, great performer that rattles. haha. daniel b said it best one post "mercedes get women. bmws get girls. maximas get dirty" too many people on this board try to make the car into something it isn't or maybe feel small when someone in a 330 pulls up next to them at a light. that's a shame. when someone in a 330 pulls up next to me i toast them in my rattle mobile. =) the maxima won't win me any awards but i'll be damned if it doesn't put a smile on my face every time i take her to redline. after 3 years of ownership, every time i want to sell the car something holds me back.

anyway, i just wanted to thank you steve. i can't beleive it's been 1 year now since you came onto the board contemplating picking up a max when your accord was totalled. smart move! time flies though - damn. but seriously, thanks for being a fantastic member of this board. you always contribute intelligent (something that's lacking in many posts here) postings and of course - who doesn't love the dyno comparisons. you the man.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:18 AM

I can relate having been an Accord "pilot" for 5 years. I'm going on my 6th year of Maxima ownership. It is like night and day. The Maxima (both my 97 SE and 02 SE) are both a blast to drive. My Accords (92 and 94 EX sedans) were okay because they were both 5 speeds, but they just didn't have the power and torque the VQs do. I think the 94-97 Accords may have been about the sportiest of the bunch and that really isn't saying much.

As the advertising used to say, "Enjoy the ride". I sure am!
Old 02-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Darn straight, CKNY and thanks!

When I first got the Maxima I really didn't know if I was going to keep it long-term or not. But I love the car so much that I couldn't think of trading it now, unless it was for another Maxima. =)

Gotta love how it's such a sleeper, too. Everybody thinks, oh that's the older model and it's slow. Or that it's a 4-banger auto like most family sedans. Or even if they know it has only 190HP they're seriously unaware of how much torque this sucker has, and how light the car is. With a 3007 lb base curb weight, this car is lighter than most 4-banger sedans out there, yet it has the VQ under the hood

My most memorable experience of my first year in the Maxima was a little "street encounter" between myself and an Acura CL-S 5AT back when the great "Type-S vs Maxima" flame wars were still common. I put a car and a half on the guy to 80 mph. He probably would have gotten me by the 1/4 mile (and certainly would have whizzed by me on a highway, 4G's have no top-end), but dyno and cartest analysis proved that it was possible for a little ol 4G Maxima 5spd to pull on a CL-S at lower speeds so I was happy nonetheless. I bought the car knowing this was possible, so it was neat to experience it first hand and then proving it could happen with a little science to back it up.

The other people can have their Bimmers. I'll take my Maxima anyday =)
Old 02-05-2003, 01:23 PM

Heh, mine is 12+ years old, and I still love driving it every day.

Man I love having a 4 door with a 5-speed and some decent power. Don't miss any of my old cars at all.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:01 PM

I'm glad to have someone like you on the .org. I've learned alot from your intelligent posts that have answered alot of my questions. I was also puzzled when I raced a CL-S from 20-70 and had 1.5 car lenghts on him with only an intake. You cleared that up with a little science! Oh, and I also enjoyed the post war you had with some guy in a Honda forum that thought the new 03 Civic Si was the baddest car on the planet. You must proved each of his statements wrong over and over again....lol
Old 02-05-2003, 03:11 PM

Wish I could say the same thing. Buying the max was the worst decision of my life.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by CKNY

you know... every once in a while it's great to hear a post from a satisfied owner who understands what a maxima is. it's a low cost, great performer that rattles. haha. daniel b said it best one post "mercedes get women. bmws get girls. maximas get dirty" too many people on this board try to make the car into something it isn't or maybe feel small when someone in a 330 pulls up next to them at a light. that's a shame. when someone in a 330 pulls up next to me i toast them in my rattle mobile. =) the maxima won't win me any awards but i'll be damned if it doesn't put a smile on my face every time i take her to redline. after 3 years of ownership, every time i want to sell the car something holds me back.

anyway, i just wanted to thank you steve. i can't beleive it's been 1 year now since you came onto the board contemplating picking up a max when your accord was totalled. smart move! time flies though - damn. but seriously, thanks for being a fantastic member of this board. you always contribute intelligent (something that's lacking in many posts here) postings and of course - who doesn't love the dyno comparisons. you the man.
I broke a tear.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Wish I could say the same thing. Buying the max was the worst decision of my life.
I thought massive burnouts were your worst decision....

Old 02-05-2003, 04:45 PM

you know... every once in a while it's great to hear a post from a satisfied owner who understands what a maxima is. it's a low cost, great performer that rattles. too many people on this board try to make the car into something it isn't or maybe feel small when someone in a 330 pulls up next to them at a light.
You're right. A 1999 GXE cost only $16,995, loaded SE 5-spd every option was around high 22's. When you think about it, I guess it's not so much money that you can have everything. Try and buy, not lease, a BMW. You're not gonna touch 175 hp for anything less than about 31-32 grand, nearly 10 grand more than a 4th gen. I dunno, maybe 7 grand more than a 2k3. Why feel small when a 330 pulls along side? That person, unless they're in high school, probably has to go to work to afford that lifestyle. Don't feel small, go out and earn the bucks to get one if that's what you want.

Honda and Toyota cost alot more money for the same (6 cyl). People that buy them tend to be older and more established. Sometimes you want perfection, like JD Power stuff, other times you want HP. Again, I've said it a million times, if you drive your Maxima for 7 years or longer, the low residual/high depreciation doesn't mean a thing. But if you bop around getting a new Maxima every 1-2 years, why don't you just get the BMW in the first place, because you're hitting yourself in the head with depreciation! I know why, the cost is a barrier to entry. Such is life.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: Re: Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
You're right. A 1999 GXE cost only $16,995, loaded SE 5-spd every option was around high 22's. When you think about it, I guess it's not so much money that you can have everything. Try and buy, not lease, a BMW. You're not gonna touch 175 hp for anything less than about 31-32 grand, nearly 10 grand more than a 4th gen. I dunno, maybe 7 grand more than a 2k3. Why feel small when a 330 pulls along side? That person, unless they're in high school, probably has to go to work to afford that lifestyle. Don't feel small, go out and earn the bucks to get one if that's what you want.

Wow well said!

But if you bop around getting a new Maxima every 1-2 years, why don't you just get the BMW in the first place, because you're hitting yourself in the head with depreciation! I know why, the cost is a barrier to entry. Such is life.
Hmm we know someone who does this on a regular basis. LOL! Except he could have had a damned Porsche 911 TT by now.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Originally posted by Jeff92se

Hmm we know someone who does this on a regular basis. LOL! Except he could have had a damned Porsche 911 TT by now. [/B]
Who could that be???

Old 02-05-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm so hood

loaded SE 5-spd every option was around high 22's.
Try telling that to the old guy that originally bought my loaded SE max new, for a shade over $30k. I know he coulda got it for less, but I don't know what dealerships some of you guys shop at...
Hehe, I'm a little surprised at that response, Frank. I was expecting you to push German/VWs a bit or something

Steve, I like how you bring Excel to the world of maxima.org. The other day I thought to myself...."Who could I look to if I wanted to get a pre-made maintenence schedule in excel format for my 4th gen?"
Instantly your name popped into my mind. I'm glad you like your max so much, and I'm glad you're on the .org. (I like mine, but hopefully at 100k, the suspension work I'm planning will make it not ride like a sloppy loose-steering lincoln).

I've still got a little less than 3 years to go to pass up my Honda ownership time...(85 Accord Se-i, 91 Integra LS). They were good, fun cars...just not enough low-end for city driveability.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 AM

Re: Been a Nissan owner longer than a Honda owner now

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Well said, Steve!!

since you've been a Nissan owner longer than you've been a Honda owner, I think you should change your .Org handle. "VTEC" is a four letter word

Might I suggest, SteVQ?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:44 AM
Banned

Steve, make sure you stay with the Nissan family cause you're a GREAT contributor to this board. Oh, and congrats on your "achievement"!

Old 02-06-2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Why is that?
Old 02-06-2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd

Why is that?
Go back a few months and read his old posts.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

i feel u steve, you only came on this board like a good month earlier than me...wow, its been a year already? man, i'm on my second maxima, ONLY because first one was totaled...its a shame, there are 3 cars in my household, mom's 94 camry LE, pop's 98 mazda mpv and both of these cars are giving my parents trouble from time to time...they are always spending money...with my maxima's, i have never had any problems and only time i spent money was to make my car better....the funny thing was, my best friend told me about the maxima and said thats what he wanted to get, for the exact same reasons u guys mentioned, and he never been to this board, just knew it from research...but he couldnt afford a 4th gen and ended up with a 3rd gen which he totaled...the sad thing was, if he didnt tell me about maxima's, i would have had a jeep grand cherokee, lol. I love those cars but dam i know they wouldnt last like a maxima....bah
Old 02-07-2003, 05:07 AM

Back when I first wanted to get a Maxima, I also considered a Contour SVT. I cant believe I even considered a Ford! without a VQ!

My car makes me go