General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Xenon headlight controversy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

...Thank goodness the Japanese haven't spotted this useless trend,...yet. ...
Not so useless driving around in European foggy days. But the dumb driver did TWO errors.

[on soap box]
1) Driving with a cell phone Drive DAMMIT, talk later.
2) Being oblivious to the operation of her car.

It always amazes me how people "never" see the DAMN BLUE BRIGHTS LIGHT ON THEIR DASH? How stupid do you have to be? I know you dont use your mirrors, but the damned IDIOT light is right in front of your face. And although it (rear fogs) probably does not have a huge idiot light, still stupidity to drive around and not know what is on/off on your car.

[/off soap box]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Colonel

Not so useless driving around in European foggy days. But the dumb driver did TWO errors.

[on soap box]
1) Driving with a cell phone Drive DAMMIT, talk later.
2) Being oblivious to the operation of her car.

It always amazes me how people "never" see the DAMN BLUE BRIGHTS LIGHT ON THEIR DASH? How stupid do you have to be? I know you dont use your mirrors, but the damned IDIOT light is right in front of your face. And although it (rear fogs) probably does not have a huge idiot light, still stupidity to drive around and not know what is on/off on your car.

[/off soap box]
Ok, lemme chime in on this...

Unless something is wrong with your eyes (e.g. cataracts, etc), there should be no annoyance by HIDs. If you catch a quick blast of straight-on light from them, it should not be so hindering that people complain about its possibility of causing accidents. As many of you have mentioned, there has been absolutely ZERO proof that properly aimed HIDs cause accidents. In fact, they prevent accidents IMHO. They give the driver a better beam pattern, and other cars also notice you better (the blueish-white color is easier to notice in the dark).

The people that **** me off are: (1) dumba$$es that drive with high beams on with no regard for surrounding traffic, (2) cars with aftermarket HID kits which aren't installed/aimed correctly, and either give off a crazy glow/haze, or are aimed like high beams, and (3) damn raised trucks which shine their regular halogen bulbs straight through your rear window, bouncing that off your rear view mirror, and just smacking you with all that light straight in your face. That ****es me off more than anything.

I also agree with you guys about the rear fog lamps, and more importantly, people driving around unaware of what is on/off in their car. I don't see a point in using these rear foglights when there's no fog. They just simply annoy me, and I always think they're braking (like if you have one brake light out, and only one lights up).

I think people need to be retested every so often in order to renew their license. Tests should be a litte more sophisticated than a casual drive around a local town block. People should be asked about common sense ****, which almost everyone is missing nowadays.

Sorry for the rant, but got kind of worked up reading these posts!