General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Those with HKS intakes, you can get rid of your intake resonator...read

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 09:57 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I finally removed my intake resonator and my HKS intake (similar to a pop charger) sounds badass. It was already deep, but now it sounds like the CAI setup. This is the piece that makes the CAI and POP sound different from one another. I can even tell a difference in mid-range power. Those of you with HKS intakes consider yourself lucky, removing your intake resonator is very easy because you'll use all existing HKS parts with the HKS intake. I don't know why I never figured this out. Read carefully. You'll need about $10 in parts from your local hardware store for vacumn line rerouting.

1) Remove the HKS intake pipe that houses the temperature sensor along with one of the HKS provided rubber couplers.

2) Pull away the three vacumn hoses attached to the intake resonator and remove your intake resonator.

3) Take the HKS intake pipe (with the temp sensor still in it) and attach it to the Nissan rubber coupler that attaches the throttle body to the intake resonator.

4) Attach the HKS rubber coupler to the other side of the HKS intake pipe and then attach it to the MAF sensor.

5) Attach the HKS air filter housing to the HKS rubber coupler on the intake side of the MAF.

The setup should look like this: (looking from throttle body to air filter)

throttle body->Nissan rubber coupler->HKS intake pipe with temp sensor->HKS rubber coupler->MAF sensor->HKS rubber coupler->HKS air filter housing

Ya still with me? Now what to do with these three left over vacumn hoses? The HKS intake pipe that houses the temp sensor also has a capped 1/2" inlet for a vacumn hose that is used on the 240SX. This your vacumn hose connection. Look at the rear cylinder bank 1/2" vacumn hose. Cut approximately 2 1/2-3" off this hose. It should already have a roughly 45 degree bend to it. Attach the cut hose to the vacumn hose "nipple" on the HKS intake. Ahhh...perfect fit!! Time to go to the hardware store. You'll need about 1 foot (to be safe) heavy duty washer hose with a 1/2" ID (internal diameter). You'll need a 1/2" diameter plastic "T" connector. 1/2" diameter straight connector that joins two 1/2" hoses together. 5 1/2"-3/4" hose clamps. A 1/8" diameter straight connector. And finally some rubber-like drying glue.

1) Attached the 1/2" "T" to the rear bank cyclinder head hose and clamp with the stock clamp.

2) Attach the vacumn hose on the intake pipe to the lower portion of the "T". Clamp both ends with the clamps you bought.

3) Measure out how much new vacumn hose you will need to connect the front bank cyclinder head hose to the open end of the "T". Attach the cut hose to the "T" and clamp.

4) Take the 1/2" straight connecter and bridge the front bank hose with the new hose attached to "T". Clamp down with the stock clamp and a new clamp.

5) Take the 1/8" vacumn hose and insert the 1/8" straight connector. Make a small hole in one of the 1/2" hoses and wiggle in the 1/8" straight connector. Apply some sealant (glue) around the 1/8" connector where it connects to the 1/2" hose to reduce vacumn leaks.

Whoa!!! That was wordy It sounds complicated, but go out to your car and look at the HKS intake. You'll see everything I'm talking about. I'll try to post a pic when I can. This mod does make nice difference in sound and what I believe to be more power.

Dave