General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Turbo project is finally complete!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Administrator

I am ok..

kev has been kinda playing big brother for Joa and myself..

i just got my upper oil pan last friday.. kev is getting the fittings for me

i can't say i wouldn't be so far without you fighting and kev helping..

but everything is cool

Originally posted by turbo97SE
'sup Doug!

What have you been up to dude? I haven't heard from you for a long time. Dunno if that's good or bad!

Old 02-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Just wondering......Kev

If it took YOU 3-4 MONTHS to install this thing, how long is it going to take a noOb like myself?

What CUSTOMIZATION did you have to make? What is necessary to adapt the 4th gen kit to the 5th gen? Intake tubing?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Just wondering......Kev

Originally posted by IceY2K1
If it took YOU 3-4 MONTHS to install this thing, how long is it going to take a noOb like myself?

What CUSTOMIZATION did you have to make? What is necessary to adapt the 4th gen kit to the 5th gen? Intake tubing?
Geez...do ya want him to install it for ya too?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Just wondering......Kev

Originally posted by Colonel

Geez...do ya want him to install it for ya too?

I couldn't afford him.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Just wondering......Kev

I couldn't afford him.
I hear he is quite reasonable. A&Dubya Cream Soder and Firey Cheetos! Sounds like a deal in my book!
Old 02-17-2003, 09:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just wondering......Kev

I hear he is quite reasonable. A&Dubya Cream Soder and Firey Cheetos! Sounds like a deal in my book!
Yeah, but that's about a 10hr. drive each way and unless him/Jane are going to put me up at their place, 3-4 MONTHS of hotel and A&W/Cheetos is going to be $$$$$.

So when are you ordering Jon?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Just wondering......Kev

Well considering, Kev knew how the pipes were put together before I gave him the instructions and pics on how to put it together, I would say he knew what he was doing. I don't think it is very hard. I feel it is almost more challenging to do the supercharger. I would hate to mess with pullies (but I am biased ) We've had a lot of teething troubles that we plan to fix. I am sure the first guinea pigs are a little frustrated (if not a lot). I would like to make the instructions available for general viewing they have been written and updated as I have had conversations with Joaquin, Doug and Kevin, but I want to check if it is OK with PFI first. I also need to get a pdf writer. The word doc is 18MB! Plenty of pics!

Old 02-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just wondering......Kev

Yeah, but that's about a 10hr. drive each way and unless him/Jane are going to put me up at their place, 3-4 MONTHS of hotel and A&W/Cheetos is going to be $$$$$.

So when are you ordering Jon?
As long as works Q1 numbers look good (they are iffy right now 50/50) and meet numbers I am looking at an install date of Mid-August. Barring any financial tragedies. Still have to investigate the upper verse lower pain oil feed as Hal uses the lower and Kev mentioned a post where he was not comfortable with it.

I think Kevs time frame was so long due to "customization" and bling bling'in his parts

Plus he is waiting on some suspension stuff too.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:17 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I say the base install (just following the instructions) would be somewhere in the 10-15 hour mark IF you have the correct tools and are somewhat mechanically inclined. Of course this estimate is assuming that nothing goes wrong.

If you want to do the upper oil pan thingy... tack on another 2 days because it took me 4 hours to drop and another 4 hours to reinstall the upper oil pan (you also have to wait until the gasket cures before putting oil back in).

If you want to do SS fuel lies, tack on 3.5 hours... if you know how to do them.

If you want to do SS oil cooler lines and cooler, tack on 3.5 hours.

If you want to do turbo timer, tack on 1.5 hours.

If you want to do boost controller, tack on 2 hours... hardest part would be going through the firewall if you don't already have a ho. Hahaha... hole.

+ 5-15 hours if you factor in Chebosto's "Oh crap" factor.

Just be prepared to have another form of transportation before the install.

Cost will be LOTS of A&W Cream Soda and Flamin' Hot Cheetos.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
...If you want to do the upper oil pan thingy... tack on another 2 days because it took me 4 hours to drop and another 4 hours to reinstall the upper oil pan (you also have to wait until the gasket cures before putting oil back in).
By doing the upper versus the lower...what is the gain/comfort level again? I.E. why did you opt to do that instead?

If you want to do SS fuel lies, tack on 3.5 hours... if you know how to do them.

These can be done after the fact correct? Any disadvantage other than time spent to doing them after the fact?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

...If you want to do the upper oil pan thingy... tack on another 2 days because it took me 4 hours to drop and another 4 hours to reinstall the upper oil pan (you also have to wait until the gasket cures before putting oil back in).
By doing the upper versus the lower...what is the gain/comfort level again? I.E. why did you opt to do that instead?

These can be done after the fact correct? Any disadvantage other than time spent to doing them after the fact?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:45 AM

Kev

There are LOTS of people with these kind of questions and that's why we need you to put together some kind of WRITE-UP.

Otherwise, you are going to be repeating yourself OVER AND OVER again.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Upper... almost 0% worry because oil will NEVER back up into the turbo unless the line is crimped.

Lower... the oil level is always going to be full in the sump and you're trying to put more oil in the queue going down the hose. The oil in the return line is not under pressure, and goes down via gravity.

Think of it this way... sip some water through a straw into your mouth. Now let the water flow back in through the straw(don't force it). Notice how it's one continuous flow with no extra space besides the liquid? Now, imagine someone trying to somehow shove more water into your mouth (with force). Where's it going to go/stay? In your mouth (or in the turbo).

The example may be a bit extreme, but I hope you got the point.

Yes, the SS lines can be done after the fact. No disadvantages at all... well, metal is a good heat conductor, but the lines can withstand the heat.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Kev

There are LOTS of people with these kind of questions and that's why we need you to put together some kind of WRITE-UP.

Otherwise, you are going to be repeating yourself OVER AND OVER again.
Sucks to be you.

PFI has instructions... for a 4th gen.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:57 AM

Upper... almost 0% worry because oil will NEVER back up into the turbo unless the line is crimped.

Lower... the oil level is always going to be full in the sump and you're trying to put more oil in the queue going down the hose. The oil in the return line is not under pressure, and goes down via gravity.

Does "upper" mean you dump the hot oil exiting the turbo onto the top of the oil in the pan(ie air space above the oil)?

If so, there is another NEGATIVE, which is increased oxidation caused by hot oil/air mixing and causing air bubbles.

I know BMW motorcycles had a problem/solution to this and it was to dump or pump(not sure) the return oil into the bottom of the pan(ie under the oil, but away from the pickup), so the hot oil doesn't contact air before it has had a chance to cool.

Just an idea.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:32 PM

I believe upper and lower are two different pans. Although I could be wrong
Old 02-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Does "upper" mean you dump the hot oil exiting the turbo onto the top of the oil in the pan(ie air space above the oil)?

If so, there is another NEGATIVE, which is increased oxidation caused by hot oil/air mixing and causing air bubbles.

I know BMW motorcycles had a problem/solution to this and it was to dump or pump(not sure) the return oil into the bottom of the pan(ie under the oil, but away from the pickup), so the hot oil doesn't contact air before it has had a chance to cool.

Just an idea.
I don't know how high the oil level is in the upper oil pan. The hot oil may be dribbling onto the oil or splashing onto the oil.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by MAXIN
I believe upper and lower are two different pans. Although I could be wrong
you are correct
Old 02-17-2003, 01:44 PM
¿Hablas Español?

I don't know how high the oil level is in the upper oil pan. The hot oil may be dribbling onto the oil or splashing onto the oil.
Well, I'm planning on tapping the valve cover because in my case, the
fitting is sitting above where the tap will be. Maybe it will make
my max go BOOM! and I can go buy a new car. For now though, it seems worth the effort.

I would agree with Kevin's numbers for install time if you didn't have to cut piping and make modifications to get stuff to fit. In my case we had pieces of piping to cut and a few things that just
weren't going to fit without a lot of help. Our teething pains should make for an easier install to those of you doing this in the future, as Nigel noted. With a doubling of the aforementioned, "Oh CRAP!" factor, you might be on the right line. I haven't even started the boost controller etc. and I'm significantly over the previous estimates.

Cheers,

JK
Old 02-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by joaquink

Well, I'm planning on tapping the valve cover because in my case, the
fitting is sitting above where the tap will be. Maybe it will make
my max go BOOM! and I can go buy a new car. For now though, it seems worth the effort.

I would agree with Kevin's numbers for install time if you didn't have to cut piping and make modifications to get stuff to fit. In my case we had pieces of piping to cut and a few things that just
weren't going to fit without a lot of help. Our teething pains should make for an easier install to those of you doing this in the future, as Nigel noted. With a doubling of the aforementioned, "Oh CRAP!" factor, you might be on the right line. I haven't even started the boost controller etc. and I'm significantly over the previous estimates.

Cheers,

JK

I'll give you a call later today.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Old 02-17-2003, 03:48 PM

I think I can guess what you're going to say . We now can provide pretapped upper oil pan OR tapped valved cover for a refundable core charge.

I also have an idea for not having to tap anything and still being able to have a "reliable" drain. This will be available in about 1 month

Quoted Message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"

... Well, I'm planning on tapping the valve cover because in my case, the fitting is sitting above where the tap will be. Maybe it will make
my max go BOOM! and I can go buy a new car. For now though, it seems worth the effort. ...

JK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"

Old 02-17-2003, 04:17 PM

Well, if after running a hard/long run, you might see if you can pull your dipstick and see foam. Foam also occurs when you OVERfill your crankcase.

Just an theory anyways.

BTW, what oil are you running? Brand? Weight?
Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Well, if after running a hard/long run, you might see if you can pull your dipstick and see foam. Foam also occurs when you OVERfill your crankcase.

Just an theory anyways.

thats what the greddy oil catch can is for
Old 02-17-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

thats what the greddy oil catch can is for
:bling::bling:
Old 02-17-2003, 09:57 PM

congrats.....finally, the long waited project is done. how was it when you started the car? good to hear that everything is running good! hope to see your car soon.

Old 02-17-2003, 10:27 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Many thanks to Kevin for his patience and explanations. I didn't
make any visible progress tonight but I did gain valuable knowledge
about the next phase of the installation.

Just another year or two and I should be on the road.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

10/30 Mobil One Super Syn.

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
congrats.....finally, the long waited project is done. how was it when you started the car? good to hear that everything is running good! hope to see your car soon. :-D

:woot :woot
It sounded "different" than with the SC on. See you Saturday.

Just another year or two and I should be on the road. :rolleyes
No problem Joaquin. I'm glad I could help. Good luck with the fuel lines and give me a call if you run into problems.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:21 PM

Just another year or two and I should be on the road.
Good than you'll still be working on it next weekend when I get back, so I can help.

Call me pleeeeeeeeeease.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:23 PM

10/30 Mobil One Super Syn.
Not bad, but I'd switch to Amsoil or Redline if I were you.

No need though if you are planning on rebuilding a motor soon.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:40 PM

Dude, just curious about your title "wanksta, playa, moderata" what is "wanksta" ? I know what a "******" is and what a "**** stain" is, but never heard of this one!

** Pls forgive me for using profane language. If this is unacceptable, I will remove it! **

Not bad, but I'd switch to Amsoil or Redline if I were you.

No need though if you are planning on rebuilding a motor soon.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:14 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Dude, just curious about your title "wanksta, playa, moderata" what is "wanksta" ? I know what a "******" is and what a "**** stain" is, but never heard of this one!

** Pls forgive me for using profane language. If this is unacceptable, I will remove it! **

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wanksta
Old 02-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Oh, forgot to ask

How "droney" is the exhaust on the highway. I spend a LOT of time on the highway and a "droney" exhaust will be the death of me.

I am listening to Hal's and it seems a bit droney anybody else confirm?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 AM

LOL!

Kevin....g
Old 02-18-2003, 08:30 AM

Kevin makes up those for all the moderators, so I have no idea.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Oh, forgot to ask

How "droney" is the exhaust on the highway. I spend a LOT of time on the highway and a "droney" exhaust will be the death of me.

I am listening to Hal's and it seems a bit droney anybody else confirm?
Haven't driven it on the highway yet... haven't even driven it at all. I probably spend as much time as you do on the highway (percentage).

I'll let you know how it is in a few days.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: Oh, forgot to ask

Haven't driven it on the highway yet... haven't even driven it at all. I probably spend as much time as you do on the highway (percentage).

I'll let you know how it is in a few days.
Thanks Kev...hope it all stays "green" for your maiden run!
Old 02-18-2003, 10:14 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Re: Oh, forgot to ask

Kev-
(wow. thats the first time i didnt use the -ing ending!)

CONGRATS on your snail install. sounds like jane will finally get to park her car inside for once!

yay.

--Cheston
Old 02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: Re: Re: Oh, forgot to ask

Originally posted by Chebosto
Kev-
(wow. thats the first time i didnt use the -ing ending!)

CONGRATS on your snail install. sounds like jane will finally get to park her car inside for once!

yay.

--Cheston
She is currently parking in my spot in the garage since I had to use her spot (read: LARGER) to do the install.

Race time?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:33 PM

It sounded "different" than with the SC on. See you Saturday.
I'd imagine the turbo makes the exhaust a lot quieter.

Quick Reply: Turbo project is finally complete!