General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:21 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

I just got a Permacool oil cooler, and plan on installing a few guages with it. I know that I can put the temperature guage in-line with the cooler hoses, but can I do the same with the pressure guage? Is the pressure to and from the cooler the same as I would read at the stock pressure sender's location?

If not, where do you SC guys install the guages pressure sensor? 3-way tee?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj
I just got a Permacool oil cooler, and plan on installing a few guages with it. I know that I can put the temperature guage in-line with the cooler hoses, but can I do the same with the pressure guage? Is the pressure to and from the cooler the same as I would read at the stock pressure sender's location?

Me personally... I t'd into my Stillen T

Ugly but effective.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:43 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by delio

Me personally... I t'd into my Stillen T

Ugly but effective.
Yeah, I figured I could do that. Just thought the oil cooler lines would be simpler if I'd get the same readings. Anyone know if I will?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:10 AM

Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj

I teed my pressure sensor into the oil supply line to the blower, right at the blower oil inlet location. That makes for a very accessible location.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:12 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I teed my pressure sensor into the oil supply line to the blower, right at the blower oil inlet location. That makes for a very accessible location.
Oh, I like that idea. It makes a lot of sense. Pic?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj

Oh, I like that idea. It makes a lot of sense. Pic?
If I can borrow the digital camera from work I'll take one for you.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:22 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

If I can borrow the digital camera from work I'll take one for you.
No need. If you had one it would be cool, but I get what you mean, so don't go out of your way.

What size thread is the inlet port? Is it specified somwhere in the directions?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj

No need. If you had one it would be cool, but I get what you mean, so don't go out of your way.

What size thread is the inlet port? Is it specified somwhere in the directions?
The inlet port on the blower is male 1/4 flare, I believe. The sending unit is 1/8th NPT.

I used a female 1/8th NPT tee so the sending unit threads right in.

I used a male 1/8th NPT to male 1/4 flare adapter for the oil line into the tee.

For the transition from the tee to the male 1/4 flare on the blower, I had to first use a male 1/8th NPT to male 1/4 flare adapter, then a female 1/4 flare to female 1/4 flare coupling. I could not find any other combination of adapters and couplings that would work going from the tee to the blower inlet.

I hope this is clear. Maybe I do need to post a pic.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:40 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

The inlet port on the blower is male 1/4 flare, I believe. The sending unit is 1/8th NPT.

I used a female 1/8th NPT tee so the sending unit threads right in.

I used a male 1/8th NPT to male 1/4 flare adapter for the oil line into the tee.

For the transition from the tee to the male 1/4 flare on the blower, I had to first use a male 1/8th NPT to male 1/4 flare adapter, then a female 1/4 flare to female 1/4 flare coupling. I could not find any other combination of adapters and couplings that would work going from the tee to the blower inlet.

I hope this is clear. Maybe I do need to post a pic.
Clear as day. I was just conserned that everything wouldn't be NPT and I'd need strange adapters. No fitment issues with all the extra fittings? I can't imagine there would be with all the room in front of the blower.

Are you reading accurate with others here? I assume the pressure to the blower is the same as it would be down at the stock sender location because its tee'd from there. Seems like this would be a good location to do the temp sender too, so you know exactly what temp the blower is seeing.

You have a V2, correct?
Old 02-27-2003, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj

Clear as day. I was just conserned that everything wouldn't be NPT and I'd need strange adapters. No fitment issues with all the extra fittings? I can't imagine there would be with all the room in front of the blower.

Are you reading accurate with others here? I assume the pressure to the blower is the same as it would be down at the stock sender location because its tee'd from there. Seems like this would be a good location to do the temp sender too, so you know exactly what temp the blower is seeing.

You have a V2, correct?
No, I have a V1. As far as I can tell, the pressure at that location isn't noticeably different than when I had the sending unit teed right at the engine block before I installed the SC.

I think that is a good place for the temp sender, except that it increases the plumbing complexity. It already looks pretty busy as it is. Right now I have my oil temp sender in my oil pan drain plug. I drilled through the center of the plug with a 3/8ths drill bit (kind of tricky since the plug isn't too much larger than that). The sending unit is just a hair larger than 3/8ths diameter, so it made a nice, leak-proof interference fit. I went ahead and sealed it with epoxy anyway to ensure against any possible minor leakage. Works great, except that is probably not the optimal place to read oil temperature.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Oil pressure should be the same regardless where you tap it from.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

No, I have a V1. As far as I can tell, the pressure at that location isn't noticeably different than when I had the sending unit teed right at the engine block before I installed the SC.

I think that is a good place for the temp sender, except that it increases the plumbing complexity. It already looks pretty busy as it is. Right now I have my oil temp sender in my oil pan drain plug. I drilled through the center of the plug with a 3/8ths drill bit (kind of tricky since the plug isn't too much larger than that). The sending unit is just a hair larger than 3/8ths diameter, so it made a nice, leak-proof interference fit. I went ahead and sealed it with epoxy anyway to ensure against any possible minor leakage. Works great, except that is probably not the optimal place to read oil temperature.
Sorry to bring an old thread up...

IIRC both the pressure sender and temp sender need to be grounded. They assume ground through the oil pan (engine).

Did you need to ground the pressure sender inlined with the SC feed line seperatly, or is it grounded through the SC -> Engine?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

Originally posted by ejj

Sorry to bring an old thread up...

IIRC both the pressure sender and temp sender need to be grounded. They assume ground through the oil pan (engine).

Did you need to ground the pressure sender inlined with the SC feed line seperatly, or is it grounded through the SC -> Engine?
It's grounded through the SC and engine, as you guessed. You can see the setup here:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...562_6_full.jpg
Old 04-11-2003, 08:21 AM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Cooler and Oil Guages

It's grounded through the SC and engine, as you guessed. You can see the setup here:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...562_6_full.jpg
Just as I had hoped. Thanks again.