General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Spark knock in 00 SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003 | 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Spark knock in 00 SE

Hello everyone!

New member here with my first post. I did a search and think I got the answers I'm looking for but need a little more assistance from you guys and gals.

My wife drives a 2000 Maxima SE automatic. We bought the car brand new and it now has 55,000 on the clock. It has always been flawless until about 1 month ago she complained that it was knocking under acceleration while going uphill. I took the car for a ride and sure enough it was, and damn was it ever loud. I thought maybe the car had carbon deposits so the first thing I did was have her try a tank of super. Bingo problem went right away. So I had her switch back to regular and we started putting a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in with each tank. No luck, spark knock kept coming back. I took the car into a local shop and had them do a Snap-On Motor Vac treatment. Same result, still knocked. However they informed me of the TSB on the car and said in all likeliehood it would need the coils replaced. The car has now been starting progessively harder and I hope that this is also related to the coils and not some other problem. It just seems to spin longer and not catch as early as it used to. So now it looks as though I need a set of coils and I'm really kind of ticked about it. The TSB was issued in 2001. Her car was still under waraanty then, now it obviously is out. So here are my questions to you all:

1. Have a lot of you had this problem?

2. If so did replacing the coils cure it? I would hate to spend the money and still have the problem and find out it is something else.

3. Has anyone contacted Nissan to see if they will help with the repair costs? It's not that I can't afford it but well, you know, the whole principle of the thing is getting to me.

4. Has anyone experienced piston damage by not fixing the problem? The knock sounds quite severe to me but my geuss is that not all cylinders are knocking, maybe just one or two.

Thanks in advance for any replies! By the way, hope you don't mind a guy who owns 2 Mustangs invading your site!!