General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

MERCON V Spec

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

MERCON V Spec

Have any of you tried this fluid in your tranny? Still can't tell how this differs from DEX III, but I think it may be superior. (most formulations to meet spec are semi-synthetic, better low/high temp performance, better wear spec, etc). It was developed to eliminate lock-up shudder, which I have on my 4th gen. I understand we can use regular MERCON (same trans in Mercury Villager), but I don't think it's anything special. Also, what is special about Nissan matic fluid "D"? Who makes best fluid for reasonable cost?
Old 03-05-2003, 01:35 PM

Re: MERCON V Spec

Originally posted by jmichnya
Have any of you tried this fluid in your tranny? Still can't tell how this differs from DEX III, but I think it may be superior. (most formulations to meet spec are semi-synthetic, better low/high temp performance, better wear spec, etc). It was developed to eliminate lock-up shudder, which I have on my 4th gen. I understand we can use regular MERCON (same trans in Mercury Villager), but I don't think it's anything special. Also, what is special about Nissan matic fluid "D"? Who makes best fluid for reasonable cost?
IWANNABMW will be here in a min. he is an AMSOIL dealer, I just bought some tranny fluid from him very nice and knowledgeable guy.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:10 PM

Re: Re: MERCON V Spec

Originally posted by JustMaxin96

IWANNABMW will be here in a min. he is an AMSOIL dealer, I just bought some tranny fluid from him very nice and knowledgeable guy.
Am I that predictable

You are correct in noting that the Mercon V spec was created to help eliminate shudder in Ford's transmissions. To the best of my knowledge, all the fluids that meet it are at least Group III fluids or better, there are no conventional ATF's that can do this.

There is nothing special about Nissan's D Matic ATF, it is a conventional fluid that has the frictional characteristics that meet the Dexron III requirements. Any fluid you can buy off the shelf that says it's Dexron III compatible can be used.

Personally, I wouldn't bother considering a Mercon V fluid. I would either choose a regular ATF or go with a full syn instead. In any case, if you're experiencing shudder in a 4th gen tranny there is a problem. Changing the fluid might be all you need to do (it's hard to say without knowing any history), but there might be a bigger issue at work as well.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: MERCON V Spec

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iwannabmw
[B]

Am I that predictable

Yeah you are

I told you he knows his stuff!