General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

B&M Short throw shifer installed (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 12:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

B&M Short throw shifer installed (Review)

I did a lot of searching before they disabled the search on STS. I was considering Pacesetter's short throw shifter but from what I read its either a hit-or-miss. I didn't want to deal with "shaving the ball" or "banging my stick" so I went for the B&M. It took about 2 hrs including waiting for the exhaust to cool down. Installation was a piece of cake; It's a no-brainer. There appears to be enough room between the shifter and the catalytic converter shield but I went ahead and made an indention since I already have everything off. I don't want to go back and redo it since I inhaled enough rust particles the first time around.

One thing I should mention. The shifter is held by a circlip which you slide down the shaft until it snaps into place. The circlip is very thin so there is play when its fastened in the machined recess on the shifter. When you pull on the shifter it will make a clicking noise. This may come up when driving on rough surfaces so I slid a thread beneath the circlip and tied it a few times. The shifter feels nice and tight when I pull on it. In this pic i'm pointing at the circlip, the black ring sitting atop the brass bushing.

When in 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear there is a little more than 1cm clearance between the shifter console trim and the shifter. See I placed my finger in between:

I pulled the shiftboot back to expose the shifter.

This shifter ROCKS. I took out the tape measure and the shift throws from 1-2, 3-4 is about 2.25 inches.
Here's a pic of it in action from 3rd to 4th.

The shift action is better than I expected. In the beginning going into gears takes slightly more effort than stock. It is slightly notchy from 2nd to 3rd at first but I readjusted how I handled the shift **** and now when I shift 2-3 it slips into gear very easily. I had it for about 1 week so I got used to the shifting characteristics. The B&M shift **** (shown) helps immensely in the shift action. It is a hefty piece and helps gets the shifter going. The car is a blast to drive and even more so now with the B&M shifter. It is worth every penny.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:31 PM

Nice animation! now thats how to do a product evaluation
Old 03-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Now thats how to post a pic.................

I gotta get one of these....
Old 03-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: B&M Short throw shifer installed (Review)

Congrats on the mod.. I got my B&M installed like 2 weeks ago.. It was notchy at first like you are experiencing. But after a lil driving it's a lot smoother then even stock I think. And the throws are hella shorter
Old 03-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nismo
Nice animation! now thats how to do a product evaluation
The animation is deceiving. The whole car shifts forward/backward because a tripod was not used to freeze the camera view. The throw of the shifter is made (accidently I presume) to look shorter than it really is.
Old 03-09-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

The animation is deceiving. The whole car shifts forward/backward because a tripod was not used to freeze the camera view. The throw of the shifter is made (accidently I presume) to look shorter than it really is.
You can use a reference point, say, the emergency brake release button vs the text I wrote above it (on my screen its right beneath and between the word "of" in "pic of it") the movement is not that bad. Perception can go either way. Besides, I did say the shift throw was about 2.25 inches, which is way better than the 4+ inches of the stock throw .

Thanks for the animation props; I wish I have a tripod though. I did park next to a wall so maybe I'll take new pics tomorrow with the camera resting on it.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

great post..

nice animation man..

If I decide to go ahead with an STS, it will definately be a B+M.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a B&M on the way myself. Do you notice the shifter sits any lower that stock?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Eye Dirty
Besides, I did say the shift throw was about 2.25 inches, which is way better than the 4+ inches of the stock throw
I assume you are measuring the distance the shift **** travels. That actually is not the "throw." If you hack the stock shifter a couple of inches, you will get close to 2.25 inches simply because the shifter is shorter...the throw is the same. For shortness of throw the cardinal distance is between the pivot pt (on the shifter rod) and the bottom end of the shifter rod (where the shifter linkage connects). Given that reports are that you do not need to leave off the heatshield, it is safe to say the shorter throw is a conservative one vs. stock. By comparison, pacesetter on the shortest throw setting mandates removal of the heatshield or you will bang almost certainly bang into it--no matter how much you pound the thing out.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I assume you are measuring the distance the shift **** travels. That actually is not the "throw." If you hack the stock shifter a couple of inches, you will get close to 2.25 inches simply because the shifter is shorter...the throw is the same. For shortness of throw the cardinal distance is between the pivot pt (on the shifter rod) and the bottom end of the shifter rod (where the shifter linkage connects). Given that reports are that you do not need to leave off the heatshield, it is safe to say the shorter throw is a conservative one vs. stock. By comparison, pacesetter on the shortest throw setting mandates removal of the heatshield or you will bang almost certainly bang into it--no matter how much you pound the thing out.
Let me put to you this way. The fulcrum "ball" on the B&M sits about an inch higher than the stock fulcrum ball when measuring from the bottom.

And I thought the "throw" is the actual physical movement of the stick. You learn something new everyday.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
I have a B&M on the way myself. Do you notice the shifter sits any lower that stock?
It does sit lower.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:20 PM

looks good, how much?