General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Leather Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 07:57 AM

Leather Cleaner

In everyone's opinion, what's the best leather cleaner/conditioner? I just bought some crap last night which seemed good upon application but when I got into my car this morning there was a white haze covering all my black leather. I can get most of the haze off with a bit of water and some elbow grease but the leather is now completely dull and grey looking. I need something hardcore to get the shine back in the black. (dunno if im willing to pay 100 for a cleaner though). Is my leather ruined or will a good cleaner/conditioner fix it?
Old 03-14-2003, 08:01 AM

I use a couple of different brands. Lexol makes a really good product. Seperate cleaner and conditioner, which I prefer. The Mcguires cleaner/conditioner works well and has a really good smell.
I think the Lexol is probably a better product though.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:03 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Discussed earlier this week.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=195280
Old 03-14-2003, 08:47 AM

Perfect..Missed the thread the first time around.

Lexol it is then.

Best place to buy quality leather cleaners..

Tack shops (aka places where they sell horse stuff). Tack is VERY high quality and thick leather and requires heavy duty cleaners and conditioners so most tack shops tend to sell a wide variety of quality products.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:26 PM

I just tried Lexol out on my leather. But it is still very hard, didn't soften it up much at all? Anybody have something that helps give the leather that soft feel again?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Victim64
I just tried Lexol out on my leather. But it is still very hard, didn't soften it up much at all? Anybody have something that helps give the leather that soft feel again?
for heavy duty conditioning I like the Meguiars, its a thicker cream and I can leave a thicker coat on and massage it in better than the Lexol

I have both, I use both leather on my Maxima is new so I use the Lexol, on the Lexus I use Meguiars... OMG I wish our leather smelt like lexus leather!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by carnal_c30

for heavy duty conditioning I like the Meguiars, its a thicker cream and I can leave a thicker coat on and massage it in better than the Lexol

I have both, I use both leather on my Maxima is new so I use the Lexol, on the Lexus I use Meguiars... OMG I wish our leather smelt like lexus leather!!!
get your **** on IM!!!

whered you get the meguiars conditioner, i cant find it anywhere..??

for a real nice clean try lemon softscrub with a sponge or scrub brush, my leather/door panels/etc has never looked so clean.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:23 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Use SoftScurb. Yes, the kitchen cleaner. I swear, it works great!
Old 03-15-2003, 04:27 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Use SoftScurb. Yes, the kitchen cleaner. I swear, it works great!
Softscrub.......hummmm.....I dont think so!

Nothing in Softscrub could be good for leather. It might leave the leather soft initially because the leather might absorb more liquid from it, but I would be hard pressed to think that it would stay soft. If it was good for leather, I think Softscrub would be marketing it for that.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Sirius1

Softscrub.......hummmm.....I dont think so!

Nothing in Softscrub could be good for leather. It might leave the leather soft initially because the leather might absorb more liquid from it, but I would be hard pressed to think that it would stay soft. If it was good for leather, I think Softscrub would be marketing it for that.
hmmm do a seach it does damn well on older leather, its slightly abrasive... and after u use it you use the conditioner to condition the leather... seach on the org, trust me it works! it totally revitalizes your older leather

hey Jason I'm a migrating animal now... living throughout SoCal hopefully settling down soon
Old 03-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by carnal_c30

hmmm do a seach it does damn well on older leather, its slightly abrasive... and after u use it you use the conditioner to condition the leather... seach on the org, trust me it works! it totally revitalizes your older leather

hey Jason I'm a migrating animal now... living throughout SoCal hopefully settling down soon
stop migrating and get online.. lol..

i can attest to softscrub, at least on my door panels it kicked ****!! i used it on my seats and i bought lexol conditioner today that i am going to bust out tomorrow and go to town. softscrub cleans like you wouldnt believe and it seems to keep things soft, just leaves residue that you have to wipe down.

jason
Old 03-15-2003, 08:15 PM
rilla dope

I've tried a huge list of products, leather furniture as well. I like Blue Magic, it's almost the same as Lexol, dual bottle system. Very nice on vinyl for the cleaner as well. I also have the Meguirs and I use that every other time or so. The Blue magic leaves a great smell and really gets off the dirt, I can see it all over my cloth after the cleaner.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by thebigsadler

stop migrating and get online.. lol..
I try