General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4th/5th gen Maxima Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

4th/5th gen Maxima Info

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been seriously considering a Maxima. I honestly haven't driven one yet, but (as always) I'm trying to collect as much data as I can. So I call upon the Maxima community to help me out!

The car will be 80% for the wife and children, and 20% for me (of which my driving will probably be 99% with wife and children). We want roomy and luxurious for the wife, and sporty for me. Hence why the Maxima is a candidate for our purchase.

Our range looks to be falling in the 1999-2001 range.

- My biggest thing (for me) is drivability. Not speed or horsepower, but feel and handling. Is there a noticible difference in the 4th and 5th generations in this aspect? Steering should be direct and the ride / suspension should be firm for me, but compliant for the wife.

- How can I tell if a Maxima is equipped with traction control? Is there an indicator when the system kicks in? Is there a bypass button or switch I can look for? How rare is this option?

- Is there anything I should be aware of, stay away from, or look for in selecting a Maxima? i.e. documented problems, frequent areas of abuse, quirks, etc.

Anything else? One cannot have too much information.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:03 PM

as far as drivability does, both the late 4th gens and early 5th gens will feel about the same when it comes to engine response. on 5th gens you could tell if theres traction control, because there is a botton around the shifter that says TCS right on it. a major problem with 2k2's are the maf problems, but since your not getting one, you should be fine
Old 03-20-2003, 01:05 PM

i dont no about 2k or 2k1s but my 2k2 has a traction control switch the car therefore has traction control
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Traction control became available with the 1999's on the SE and GLE models. Optional also on the 2000-2001 SE and GLE automatics. Not available on any GXE's.

If it's mostly for your wife, I'd recommend the GLE models since the suspension is a little softer. This would give you the best overall ride. The rear beam suspension isn't the best over bumps but it's not bad.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:48 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: 4th/5th gen Maxima Info

Originally posted by applejax
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been seriously considering a Maxima. I honestly haven't driven one yet, but (as always) I'm trying to collect as much data as I can. So I call upon the Maxima community to help me out!

The car will be 80% for the wife and children, and 20% for me (of which my driving will probably be 99% with wife and children). We want roomy and luxurious for the wife, and sporty for me. Hence why the Maxima is a candidate for our purchase.

Our range looks to be falling in the 1999-2001 range.

- My biggest thing (for me) is drivability. Not speed or horsepower, but feel and handling. Is there a noticible difference in the 4th and 5th generations in this aspect? Steering should be direct and the ride / suspension should be firm for me, but compliant for the wife.

- How can I tell if a Maxima is equipped with traction control? Is there an indicator when the system kicks in? Is there a bypass button or switch I can look for? How rare is this option?

- Is there anything I should be aware of, stay away from, or look for in selecting a Maxima? i.e. documented problems, frequent areas of abuse, quirks, etc.

Anything else? One cannot have too much information.
my old roommate had a 97 and i have a 01. while they were both pretty much stock, mine seemed to feel more solid in most driving conditions. most of that due to the increased rigidity of the chassis. i dont know most of the major problems with 4th gen but with 00-01, watch out warping brake rotors. if they were done correctly the first time then you should be fine. traction control in teh 00-01 is just right of the steering wheel under the gauge cluster. if it still has stock tires and you are concerned in the least about safety then change them.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 95 SE and I feel that it rides great. But both my mother and Brother drive a 99 SE and that rides a great deal better. The Gen 5s just have that great ride that just put them just above the Gen 4s, but the 4's still ride great and have plenty of space for a family.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by mikebe
I have a 95 SE and I feel that it rides great. But both my mother and Brother drive a 99 SE and that rides a great deal better. The Gen 5s just have that great ride that just put them just above the Gen 4s, but the 4's still ride great and have plenty of space for a family.
I agree the rear suspnsion on the 00-03 is a little better and has less side to side motion over bumps vs the 95-99. Overall they all ride great!