General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

raybestos QS for the front... cheap out on rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 01:00 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

raybestos QS for the front... cheap out on rear?

well! i've decided to go w/ raybestos QS in hopes that my horrific squeeling will go away.

I've heard that they don't dust much and don't squeel but... w/ normal commuting (almost 90% highway), these pads would last quite a while right?

One more thing, should I spend the 50 bucks for the rear QS pads or can I get a cheaper raybestos pad... it goes for like 20-30 bucks. I would guess the front brakes do most of the braking while the rear would last just as long w/ cheaper pads. What do you guys think?

I wouldn't need to buy any other products right? I'm assuming those raybestos come w/ the shims, adhesive and all that stuff.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:15 PM

I just changed my brakes this last weekend and used the Raybestos QS pads. These things are great no squeeling, nothing. All you really need is some brake parts cleaner and the pads. The pads come with shims and a high temp grease that you apply on the pad retaining clips and where the caliper bolts make contact with the other piece of the brake. This was so easy to do! Just remove the bolts and replace the pads thats it. Also, I painted my calipers while I was in there. I just placed a Wal-Mart bag around the rotor and sprayed them.

As far as using QS on the rear. I did just because I knew the product had a good reputation and didn't want to have to change the rears because of squeeling. Also, I wanted to keep ceramic pads on the front and rear. This is just my opinion and thoughts.

Anyway, good luck on the brake install!
Old 03-20-2003, 01:16 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
I just changed my brakes this last weekend and used the Raybestos QS pads. These things are great no squeeling, nothing. All you really need is some brake parts cleaner and the pads. The pads come with shims and a high temp grease that you apply on the pad retaining clips and where the caliper bolts make contact with the other piece of the brake. This was so easy to do! Just remove the bolts and replace the pads thats it. Also, I painted my calipers while I was in there. I just placed a Wal-Mart bag around the rotor and sprayed them.

As far as using QS on the rear. I did just because I knew the product had a good reputation and didn't want to have to change the rears because of squeeling. Also, I wanted to keep ceramic pads on the front and rear. This is just my opinion and thoughts.

Anyway, good luck on the brake install!
thanks! I am also going to be painting my calipers. I will take pics and stuff of the install and the painting.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:24 PM

what color r u painting them? i dig blue and red (separately)
Old 03-20-2003, 01:26 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by max...to the ma
what color r u painting them? i dig blue and red (separately)
red/black... like what hakk97se did:

Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Yeah that black and red looks good! I painted them white to match the body color. I didn't want anything too bright.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:33 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
Yeah that black and red looks good! I painted them white to match the body color. I didn't want anything too bright.
yeah. I was going for the red/black theme on the whole car. My car is supperblack right now so hopefully that little bit of red I wanted on the brakes would look good.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:00 PM

I got Raybesto Quiet Stops in the front and cheap $20 Advanced Autoparts pads in the rear. I love this setup. lol.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by hokiemax
I got Raybesto Quiet Stops in the front and cheap $20 Advanced Autoparts pads in the rear. I love this setup. lol.
lol pimp. I just went to Kragen and bought front QS for $59.99. It also came w/ a 10 buck rebate! haha so basically, 50 bucks for it. I am gonna install em tomorrow and see how they are. I also bought "ford red" and "high glossy black" high temp paint.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:08 PM

Well I used to use Raybestos until I put them on my 00 Max and it made absolutely horrible noises. Called Raybestos they said give them time they'll be fine, well that never happened and I ended up putting OEM back on and Raybestos did NOT give me my money back like they said. So as far as i'm concerned, Raybestos will never touch another one of my vehicles. The 5th gen OEM pads are ceramic, just like the QS pads, so I don't see what the difference is except well cost and for me, the brake system isn't somewhere I want to skimp on. Just my opinion. Chris