General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Porting Polishing/honing intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM

Porting Polishing/honing intake manifold

just a quick question guys, im wondering if porting/polishing or honing the IM would yeld any gains at all... J&M High Tech here in town can do it and they do it well. There working on a friend of mines integra gsr right now porting and polishing the head and a 3 angle valve body job and a few other things...

Would this help the max in any way or would this hurt my baby????

BTW im waiting on all my presents to come.... springs, shocks, Y & B pipes and pully(but dont know what pully to get yet)
Old 03-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Word has it that it won't do much for NA but if your boosted it will help a lot. After doing some reading on manifold design the prior statement is correct. When boosted, you need to open up the intake and exhaust which in turn will make more power. NA will probably have better power down low (but not enough to really notice) and fall flat on its face in higher RPM's due to airspeed through the intake runners. The more narrow the runners are, the faster the airspeed is through the runner. You open it up, the air slows down. You get what I'm saying right?
Old 03-20-2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Word has it that it won't do much for NA but if your boosted it will help a lot.
NA will probably have better power down low (but not enough to really notice) and fall flat on its face in higher RPM's due to airspeed through the intake runners.
You open it up, the air slows down.

that sux Jim at J&M wasnt gonna charge me much at all since he owes my dad a few favors. He also wasnt sure if it would do much to the VQ30 but it does mad help to the B and H series engines in hondas/acuras.

thanks for the info deezo, I trust Jim alot and when he says "not sure" i thought id come ask you guys. He does alot of work on police cars uniformed and undercover.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Debo, It's actually the other way around.

Open up the ports, and low end would probably suffer but high end breathing might get better. Big ports = lower intake air velocity at low rpm. But should be able to flow more air at the higher rpm ranges.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:46 PM

Ok now im confused both you guys sound right!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Debo, It's actually the other way around.

Open up the ports, and low end would probably suffer but high end breathing might get better. Big ports = lower intake air velocity at low rpm. But should be able to flow more air at the higher rpm ranges.
Well, I'm thinking in terms of the VI vs USIM. On the low end of the RPM's the USIM has more power than the VI(USIM: larger diameter runner - VI: smaller diameter runner).
Old 03-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Disco Biscuit

My suggestion is get it done since you're getting a deal, then get boost!!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Got Bent?

Well, I'm thinking in terms of the VI vs USIM. On the low end of the RPM's the USIM has more power than the VI(USIM: larger diameter runner - VI: smaller diameter runner).
The length of the intake runner is varied... at lower RPMs, the longer intake runner is used, and at high RPMs the shorter runners are used.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:31 PM

either way it ought to help, you just might not see the full potential of the modification until you go forced induction.

The main benefit while you're NA is that airflow will be signifigantly smoother, and while the diameter may be larger, the smoother airflow should make up in part for the loss in velocity. Smoother airflow means that the engine has to work less to pump air into the engine, less turbulence means that the air is there on the next cylinder stroke.

This sounds a lot like the tornado SC BS but it's different in that within the heads and the manifold, it's actually close enough to make a difference. You will most likely gain top end from this mod and lose a bit of low end. The VI is different in that it doesn't alter the runner diameter, but just the length.

I say do it, and go FI later
Old 03-20-2003, 06:33 PM

I just noticed u drive a 5th gen. Could this work with the variable intake manifold on the 2k's? The butterfly valve may not seal completely?
Old 03-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
I just noticed u drive a 5th gen. Could this work with the variable intake manifold on the 2k's? The butterfly valve may not seal completely?
5th gens intake manifold is made of a plastic/nylon resin anyways... I don't think you can port/polish that....
Old 03-20-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

The length of the intake runner is varied... at lower RPMs, the longer intake runner is used, and at high RPMs the shorter runners are used.
I forgot about that.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Got Bent?

I forgot about that.
install your VI yet? You know you want to....
Old 03-20-2003, 06:51 PM

install your VI yet? You know you want to....
I don't have time. I've been working 65 hours a week lately and I'm at work now. Plus my wife is pregnant and the baby is due soon. They'll be taking most of my time for a little while.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:53 PM
Got Bent?

I don't have time. I've been working 65 hours a week lately. I'm at work now.
sucks
Old 03-20-2003, 06:54 PM

sucks
I think the earliest I can get it done is in May.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:17 AM

So should I get this done or not???
Old 03-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by djPlayboy
So should I get this done or not???
The intake manifold on the 5th gen is made of a plastic/nylon resin... not metal. I don't know if you can port/polish it.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:32 AM

5th gens intake manifold is made of a plastic/nylon resin anyways... I don't think you can port/polish that....
You should be able to port, as the process matches different machined parts via the gasket. Lay the gasket over the port, paint it, lift off the gasket, then grind off the painted parts leading in. Its called matching the ports ...
Old 03-21-2003, 08:39 AM

now that I know the IM is made of resin/plastic, I will talk to Jim and see what he thinks....

What im understanding and someone correct me if im wrong, i may loose a lil on the low end but maby gain on the high end especialy if I go SC or turbo. This MAY be barly noticable on a NA application.

If i had(will soon have) the supporting mods, Y&B pipes ect.. this may help a lil?

im still a lil confused about the IM, but i do wish we could port the head on the engine, polishing may help that a lil but porting may crack it(as far as I know)

NE way thanks for the help guys, if any one has more info please post.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:24 AM

One thing shouldn't be confused about port and polishing, it's good for boost. It doesn't do much for NA.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:34 AM

One thing shouldn't be confused about port and polishing, it's good for boost. It doesn't do much for NA.
understood, I'll contemplate on this, and if i do, ill get a before and after dyno done
Old 03-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check the dyno section. I think Keven97SE had VERY impressive numbers with an extrude hone USIM before he went to MEVI...
Old 03-25-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

I could be wrong but I think he was LESS than impressed. Especially considering it cost him close to $400-$500

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Check the dyno section. I think Keven97SE had VERY impressive numbers with an extrude hone USIM before he went to MEVI...
Old 03-25-2003, 02:49 PM

Its only costing me about $250, but i know im gonna lose alot of low end.... im thinking im prolly not gonna do this now, until I decide to get boost.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jeff92se
I could be wrong but I think he was LESS than impressed. Especially considering it cost him close to $400-$500

Well, when you factor the high cost, it is NOT very cost effective!
Old 03-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Keven97SE

I had an extrude honed intake manifold on my car prior to going to the variable intake. Based on my dyno results and SOTP reaction, the EH'd intake doesn't do a whole lot. What it does do it move the torque peaks at ~3300 and 4500 up a few hundred rpms and adds about 5 ftlbs to each of those peaks. Overall, the average torque/HP gain wasn't much at all. This upgrade does not offer a good HP/$ ratio. I belive that only if a Maxima is force-inducted would it really see a worthwhile benefit from a honed intake manifold.

Old 03-25-2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I had an extrude honed intake manifold on my car prior to going to the variable intake. Based on my dyno results and SOTP reaction, the EH'd intake doesn't do a whole lot. What it does do it move the torque peaks at ~3300 and 4500 up a few hundred rpms and adds about 5 ftlbs to each of those peaks. Overall, the average torque/HP gain wasn't much at all. This upgrade does not offer a good HP/$ ratio. I belive that only if a Maxima is force-inducted would it really see a worthwhile benefit from a honed intake manifold.

agreed...
Old 03-28-2003, 06:01 AM
Conecarver

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Movin those peaks is what it's all about. More results via dyno approx May if Don is on time.