General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VB Mod Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 01:36 PM

VB Mod Install

Well I just bought a Maximum Tuning Stage 2 VB mod from 96shogunmax and it should be here in a few days.
My question is (since I can't search) how difficult is the install on one of these bad boys? Is this something I could do on my own, or no?
When it comes to installs I am pretty good. I've done my suspension twice and just did my UDP this weekend, along with many other mods.
What do you guys think? Can I do it??

-Tony
Old 03-25-2003, 01:48 PM

Personally, it is a lot easier to install the VB mod than the suspension, although it is a bit messy.

If you can replace suspension, you should not have a problem with VB mod install.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:48 PM

not sure yet but thats the one i want!
bump this!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by stjohnr
Personally, it is a lot easier to install the VB mod than the suspension, although it is a bit messy.

If you can replace suspension, you should not have a problem with VB mod install.
That's what I was hoping to hear!!!!!

I don't mind the mess....doesn't bother me.
Gotta drain the tranny fluid correct? If so, I'll replace it with some Redline.

Doing the suspension was actually pretty easy so this should go fine.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:21 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

it's great to have a 2nd hand, especially when rebolting the vb back in, upside down..
Old 03-25-2003, 03:28 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by seximagtr
it's great to have a 2nd hand, especially when rebolting the vb back in, upside down..
Yeah and when you cant get it lined up properly and that spring keeps falling out each time you're trying to bolt it up...and that sucker gets heavy...and your arms start to feel like dead weight...and it's all slippery....

Not all that hard though
Old 03-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it is not hard but definetly easier like others say if you have a extra set of hands , some gloves, at least two cans of brake cleaner and plenty of patience...I did mine on my own in the garage on jackstands and it sucked cause it was dark by the time I got around to actually trying to put the modded VB in and found out the bolts were all jacked up from the "mechanic" who took it out...make certain the bolts that are listed on the instructions are the only ones removed...6 of one type, 5 of another and 4 of the last...placement of these bolts and even torquing will make the difference of doing it once right or doing it many times wrong.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:57 PM

Its not the most difficult thing to do, just messy. To me its anoying cuz there isnt really a clean way to do it. Us the hand tools and the damn tranny fluid get so damn slippery that u cant turn the bolts, then if u use an air ratchet, the damn thing sprays tranny fluid all over the place. As u can tell ive dropped 1 too many tranny pans. Just make sure u got alot of extra rags, if ur gonna do it in ur driveway, prepair for a mess and Goodluck. Make sure u got some oil abosorbant handy incase it gets messier then expected.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
Its not the most difficult thing to do, just messy. To me its anoying cuz there isnt really a clean way to do it. Us the hand tools and the damn tranny fluid get so damn slippery that u cant turn the bolts, then if u use an air ratchet, the damn thing sprays tranny fluid all over the place. As u can tell ive dropped 1 too many tranny pans. Just make sure u got alot of extra rags, if ur gonna do it in ur driveway, prepair for a mess and Goodluck. Make sure u got some oil abosorbant handy incase it gets messier then expected.
I was planning on laying down large plastic sheets (used as vapor barrier behind drywall) and then layering rags over that to protect the driveway. Should work I think...
Old 03-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by araffio

I was planning on laying down large plastic sheets (used as vapor barrier behind drywall) and then layering rags over that to protect the driveway. Should work I think...
Well I dont know, maybe. Im just used to having access to all the tools I need, so ive never resorted to every doing anything in my driveway so I cant say 4 sure. It will still be an interesting project to say the least just take ur time and once again good luck.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: VB Mod Install

Well I just bought a Maximum Tuning Stage 2 VB mod from 96shogunmax and it should be here in a few days.
My question is (since I can't search) how difficult is the install on one of these bad boys? Is this something I could do on my own, or no?
When it comes to installs I am pretty good. I've done my suspension twice and just did my UDP this weekend, along with many other mods.
What do you guys think? Can I do it??

-Tony

Go to Dons site like we talked about. 13 bolts. I will be taking it out tomorrow. And trashing the tranny.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:11 AM

HitManSE- I have every tool possibly need, just no garage

Wayne- I've read the directions closely, I should have no problem getting the install done. I don't know how hard the Tranny Cooler install is though, might have that done at Maximum Tuning
Old 03-26-2003, 09:33 AM

HitManSE- I have every tool possibly need, just no garage

Wayne- I've read the directions closely, I should have no problem getting the install done. I don't know how hard the Tranny Cooler install is though, might have that done at Maximum Tuning

Its just two hoses. Its easier than the VB install.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:05 PM

is there any site that shows good write up on how to do this... if there is pictures even better...... thanks
Old 03-26-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by ][ 35
is there any site that shows good write up on how to do this... if there is pictures even better...... thanks
http://www.mobiletek.net/vbinstruct.html
Old 03-26-2003, 02:39 PM

Be sure and inspect the two seals that go between the VB and the upper tranny case. I didn't and it cost me a case of synthetic tranny fluid, 8 hours of labor, and $65 rebuild kit. And that was cheap since I did it myself.

Also make sure that you disconnect the harness from above BEFORE dropping the VB. It's a pain after.

Are you replacing the solenoids? If so, be sure and put those on while the VB is out and make sure that the plungers don't have any seals in the way.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900
Be sure and inspect the two seals that go between the VB and the upper tranny case. I didn't and it cost me a case of synthetic tranny fluid, 8 hours of labor, and $65 rebuild kit. And that was cheap since I did it myself.

Also make sure that you disconnect the harness from above BEFORE dropping the VB. It's a pain after.

Are you replacing the solenoids? If so, be sure and put those on while the VB is out and make sure that the plungers don't have any seals in the way.
The VB I bought has brand enw solenoids already on it. I've read directions and your advice, but until I dop the tranny oil pan and get in there, I won't really know what's in there.
Thanks though.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by clee130

http://www.mobiletek.net/vbinstruct.html
cool thanks for the link....
Old 03-26-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by ][ 35

cool thanks for the link....

Dons site also helped me in the taking it out today. Easy and Smooth. Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you have enough hose for your tranny cooler.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Dons site also helped me in the taking it out today. Easy and Smooth. Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you have enough hose for your tranny cooler.

The tranny cooler doesn't come with enough hose to install it? I haven't even opened the box yet, it's still in my trunk...
Old 03-26-2003, 05:32 PM

The tranny cooler doesn't come with enough hose to install it? I haven't even opened the box yet, it's still in my trunk...

Go check to make sure. Just in case. You dont want to be broke down and have to run to the parts store.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Go check to make sure. Just in case. You dont want to be broke down and have to run to the parts store.

Just picked up 4ft. of hose...should be all set for the install
Old 03-27-2003, 11:51 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's my 2 cents:

Have a friend to help you.

Have a spare car and do the install when a parts store is open during the day.

Have plenty of those blue paper shop towels.

Have 2 can of brake cleaner.

Have a GOOD set of directions printed out while you're doing the install. AND TAKE YOUR TIME! Do it right the first time!

Before you drop your stock VB, make sure you look CLOSELY at how the linkage arm sits in the little groove on the linkage pin that goes into the VB. MAKE A MENTAL NOTE before you remove the VB.

The easy part is dropping the VB.

The harder part is putting the new VB in. Either have a strong left arm while you hold it in place while you try to get the bolts started. OR put the VB on your Nissan scissor jack and slowly jack the VB in place. This helped me greatly.

MAKE absolutely sure that you put the right bolts back in the right places. If you put the wrong bolt in the wrong spot, you could do serious damage to your tranny casing.

Also, go ahead and replace the tranny pan gasket if you see any cracks in the gasket. If the gasket isn't cracked or broken, then you can reuse it.

Also, THE VB GASKET IS VERY VERY FRAGILE!! If you rub it with your shirt or a rag, it could tear very easily. If tear the VB gasket... you're screwed. You will have to either ship the VB back to Maximum Tuning or crack it open yourself to replace the gasket.

If I think of anything else, I will post it. I hope this helps. Also, be ABSOLUTELY MATICULOUS in your work. You can never be too slow or picky when doing the install.

Oh yeah, like someone mentioned, when you drop the VB, you will see a few "lip seals" pressed onto the casing above the VB. You need to remove those little rubber rings and inspect them. If they don't look BRAND NEW, then replace them. And when you put the seals back in, if they keep falling out, use a LITTLE petroleum jelly to hold them in place.

Good luck! I hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:28 AM

Aaron92SE- Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely take my time and be maticulous about every bolt, gasket, etc. I'm installing it next Saturday I think and I'll start very early in the morning so I have a full day of sunlight to work.
This shift linkage pin- if I do not line it up correctly, what will happen? The VB will not seat correctly, or what?

About the VB gasket, I will not be touching the new VB except to lift it up and put it in. It's coming all cleaned and ready to go in.

I will post up any questions I have while the install is in process.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:47 AM

This shift linkage pin- if I do not line it up correctly, what will happen? The VB will not seat correctly, or what?

About the VB gasket, I will not be touching the new VB except to lift it up and put it in. It's coming all cleaned and ready to go in.

I will post up any questions I have while the install is in process.
If the linkage is not lined up correctly, the car will not shift properly. Kinda like the shifter says you're in D but the tranny stays in L2.

What Aaron was refering to is handling the VB while doing the install. You WILL have tranny fluid and the VB hanging all over the place, and that's when he's referring to being careful with the gasket.

Another thing is to replace the tranny pan gasket. Go to the dealer, I think I paid like $5, and get a new transmission pan gasket. Even if the old one doesn't break while taking it apart, you SHOULD replace it to avoid leaks. When you do replace it, make sure that before installing the new one, the surface is totally clean. The pan should look almost brand new after you clean it/prep it to install it all back.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

If the linkage is not lined up correctly, the car will not shift properly. Kinda like the shifter says you're in D but the tranny stays in L2.

What Aaron was refering to is handling the VB while doing the install. You WILL have tranny fluid and the VB hanging all over the place, and that's when he's referring to being careful with the gasket.

Another thing is to replace the tranny pan gasket. Go to the dealer, I think I paid like $5, and get a new transmission pan gasket. Even if the old one doesn't break while taking it apart, you SHOULD replace it to avoid leaks. When you do replace it, make sure that before installing the new one, the surface is totally clean. The pan should look almost brand new after you clean it/prep it to install it all back.

Hmmm...is it difficult to line the pin up?? I'm hearing so many ways to screw up the install, getting a little hesistant...
Old 03-28-2003, 11:35 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Hmmm...is it difficult to line the pin up?? I'm hearing so many ways to screw up the install, getting a little hesistant...
If you have never seen a VB before, it's hard to explain. But here I go:

Do you know where the linkage arm is? Well, as soon as you pop the tranny pan, you will see how the linkage arm connects to the linkage pin that slides back and forth in the valve body when you change the gear selector.

This linkage pin has a notch cut into it, and the linkage arm sits nicely inside the notch. You don't have to worry about how far the linkage pin is slid inside the VB, you have to worry about what angle the notch is facing.

If the notch is pointing up (the mistake I made the 1st time), you won't be able to shift out of P or N. It will be jammed.

You want this notch facing towards the rear of the car, so the linkage arm will ride nicely inside this notch.

I know all this sounds like french (assuming you don't know french.... OK FINE, lets make it Twi ) right now, but as soon as you pop the tranny pan, you will be able to see how the linkage all comes together.

ALL THAT I am saying is that you should make a mental note of which direction that notch is facing. Don't worry about how far the linkage pin in slid in or out of the VB. B/C the linkage arm will remain in the same gear the entire time to do the install. So, the linkage pin's notch will fit back into place. JUST MAKE SURE THE NOTCH IS FACING THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

That's all. I know you can do this. My first time, I was all scared. And my arm got jammed against my pin b/c my notch was facing upward. Which made it not possible to shift gears without breaking something. I hope you have a general idea of what I'm saying. Cause it will ALL come together when you pop your pan and look at it.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

If you have never seen a VB before, it's hard to explain. But here I go:

Do you know where the linkage arm is? Well, as soon as you pop the tranny pan, you will see how the linkage arm connects to the linkage pin that slides back and forth in the valve body when you change the gear selector.

This linkage pin has a notch cut into it, and the linkage arm sits nicely inside the notch. You don't have to worry about how far the linkage pin is slid inside the VB, you have to worry about what angle the notch is facing.

If the notch is pointing up (the mistake I made the 1st time), you won't be able to shift out of P or N. It will be jammed.

You want this notch facing towards the rear of the car, so the linkage arm will ride nicely inside this notch.

I know all this sounds like french (assuming you don't know french.... OK FINE, lets make it Twi ) right now, but as soon as you pop the tranny pan, you will be able to see how the linkage all comes together.

ALL THAT I am saying is that you should make a mental note of which direction that notch is facing. Don't worry about how far the linkage pin in slid in or out of the VB. B/C the linkage arm will remain in the same gear the entire time to do the install. So, the linkage pin's notch will fit back into place. JUST MAKE SURE THE NOTCH IS FACING THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

That's all. I know you can do this. My first time, I was all scared. And my arm got jammed against my pin b/c my notch was facing upward. Which made it not possible to shift gears without breaking something. I hope you have a general idea of what I'm saying. Cause it will ALL come together when you pop your pan and look at it.
That makes a TON of sense, I can picture it in my head. Seems like I am worrying too much. I worried like this before I installed my suspension the first time and before I installed my UDP last week. Both are very easy...
Just always have that fear of getting myself into an install I can't complete to perfection.
Thanks for the support
Old 03-28-2003, 11:55 AM
NWP Engineering.com

That makes a TON of sense, I can picture it in my head. Seems like I am worrying too much. I worried like this before I installed my suspension the first time and before I installed my UDP last week. Both are very easy...
Just always have that fear of getting myself into an install I can't complete to perfection.
Thanks for the support
Don't worry. Just be careful and worst case scenario is, you tear the VB gasket and have to send it back.

Just inspect those lip seals, tranny pan gasket, and check out the linkage pin BEFORE you drop the VB.

I consider myself a professional at installing these VBs b/c I had to do it about 6 times in my car. Thanks Don in Texas. 5 times was due to Don's failure to repair the problem. And 1 time was me installing the same VB after Maximum Tuning fixed the problem. Overall cost of my VB.... PRICELESS! Too much to tell you. It hurts to talk about it.

But here's something reassuring for you to ponder on. After all that money and time (3 months) spent on this mod... it was still all worth is in the end. Hearing 2nd gear bark everytime I get aggressive on the gas is so awesome. Hope you like it!
Old 03-28-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Aaron92SE

Don't worry. Just be careful and worst case scenario is, you tear the VB gasket and have to send it back.

Just inspect those lip seals, tranny pan gasket, and check out the linkage pin BEFORE you drop the VB.

I consider myself a professional at installing these VBs b/c I had to do it about 6 times in my car. Thanks Don in Texas. 5 times was due to Don's failure to repair the problem. And 1 time was me installing the same VB after Maximum Tuning fixed the problem. Overall cost of my VB.... PRICELESS! Too much to tell you. It hurts to talk about it.

But here's something reassuring for you to ponder on. After all that money and time (3 months) spent on this mod... it was still all worth is in the end. Hearing 2nd gear bark everytime I get aggressive on the gas is so awesome. Hope you like it!
My sentiments exactly. I had to drop mine 3 times because of little BS mistakes I made (like the 2 little seals I keep telling you about). 1 seal was cracked, not even broken, and it would not let the tranny shift out of 2nd gear at all. That's how important that little .05 cent seal is. And try calling around to find that seal....good luck. I had to find it on a Sunday. Try that on for size. I had to drive 45 mins to a shop that I begged to sell me the entire rebuild kit for. A few cases of synthetic tranny fluid and 8 hours worth of labor later, I had my VB mod. 8 mos later, its still barking 2nds on command.

Do I like it? Let me think about that for a minute......
Old 03-29-2003, 01:57 PM

Aaron92SE-

The VB was just delivered! I spent a few minutes inspecting it to get familiar with what is where and now I know what you are talking about with the linkage pin. I see where it goes into the VB and I see the notch. All I gotta do when I install the VB is make sure this notch faces the rear of the car? Sounds easy enough...
Tranny cooler is in, took less than an hour. VB will go in tomorrow if the weather is nice, suppose to rain.
Thanks for all your help bro.

Tony
Old 03-29-2003, 02:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Aaron92SE-

The VB was just delivered! I spent a few minutes inspecting it to get familiar with what is where and now I know what you are talking about with the linkage pin. I see where it goes into the VB and I see the notch. All I gotta do when I install the VB is make sure this notch faces the rear of the car? Sounds easy enough...
Tranny cooler is in, took less than an hour. VB will go in tomorrow if the weather is nice, suppose to rain.
Thanks for all your help bro.

Tony
Yeap, you got it. When you pop the pan, look closely to see which direction the notch is facing. It SHOULD be facing towards the rear of the car. Just install the VB with the notch in the same direction as it was when you found it.

I wish I knew as much as you did when I did my first VB install. You know more than most people. You'll do fine.