General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

VQ is losing oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Handsome

VQ is losing oil

My 96 is slowly but surely losing oil. I have been racing it kind of hard lately and if I would guess the oil on the dip stick has gone from regular to low in about a month. The oil itself is still clear and the exhaust pipe is clean (it doesn't look like it's running rich.) I do not notice any leaking around the oil filter or on the ground. Does anyone have a guess, the car is still under warranty but it will cost just for them to look at it I'm sure.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Someone is stealing the oil from your car. Probably George W Bush...
Old 03-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by mzmtg
Someone is stealing the oil from your car. Probably George W Bush...

I knew that somthing like that was coming, as much as I love my car I would give it away to have 12 rounds in a bare knuckle cage match with Saddam, I would light that monkey up like a MOAB.

Can anyone help me with the car.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:23 PM

it might be the Underpants Knomes... guess they got all of your tighty whities... now they are after your oil.
but for real, if you are running your car hard, i'm sure you are burning some. it also could be from if your car was parked @ an angle... or if your car had been run recently... the oil would not have settled in the pan yet.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:33 PM

I run my car hard , and i dont burn any oil...you might have a bad seal...one where you cant see it... When i was doing the 5 speed converson, i noticed when i took off the flywheel and tourqe converter there was a seal there slowly leaking.... Good luck
Old 03-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by JMAXIMA
it might be the Underpants Knomes... guess they got all of your tighty whities... now they are after your oil.
but for real, if you are running your car hard, i'm sure you are burning some. it also could be from if your car was parked @ an angle... or if your car had been run recently... the oil would not have settled in the pan yet.
Thanks for the reply, and the joke, it seems to be a common theme in this thread which is great!!

The car was parked level, but it had just been run (I checked it as soon as I got to work.) I will check it again when I leave and get back to you, I hope it is just the racing and checking it right after I turned it off.

Just to keep the theme going -
What's the difference between the Titanic and Clinton? We know how many people went down on the Titanic.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:42 PM

Re: VQ is losing oil

Originally posted by Street Reeper
My 96 is slowly but surely losing oil. I have been racing it kind of hard lately and if I would guess the oil on the dip stick has gone from regular to low in about a month. The oil itself is still clear and the exhaust pipe is clean (it doesn't look like it's running rich.) I do not notice any leaking around the oil filter or on the ground. Does anyone have a guess, the car is still under warranty but it will cost just for them to look at it I'm sure.
Besides the pressure sending unit, I'm not sure if anybody found the sure cause as to why the oil goes down. The Nissan dealer even says blow-by is totally normal. I think we just have to bite the bullet and top it off--short of the sender it may only be 1/4-1/3 quart every 4,000 miles or so. Even if it were rear or main seal, not worth it, just top off. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've always heard that a good engine burns a little oil.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:20 PM
Handsome

Re: Re: VQ is losing oil

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Besides the pressure sending unit, I'm not sure if anybody found the sure cause as to why the oil goes down. The Nissan dealer even says blow-by is totally normal. I think we just have to bite the bullet and top it off--short of the sender it may only be 1/4-1/3 quart every 4,000 miles or so. Even if it were rear or main seal, not worth it, just top off. Good luck.
A tech who I trust told me that it might be a clogged PCV valve, which could make sense because it was not changed @ 60,000, any thoughts, I will change it regardless because it is simple maintenance.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:28 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: VQ is losing oil

since you are in Dallas, drop by Courtesy for the free inspection deal that they have. Tell them to watch for any possibly leaks because you are burning oil. This way you pay nothing, and if something does come up, use your warrenty to get it fixed. It took them about 2 hrs to finish the inspection on my car back in the day.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:42 PM
Handsome

Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ is losing oil

Originally posted by seximagtr
since you are in Dallas, drop by Courtesy for the free inspection deal that they have. Tell them to watch for any possibly leaks because you are burning oil. This way you pay nothing, and if something does come up, use your warrenty to get it fixed. It took them about 2 hrs to finish the inspection on my car back in the day.
I'm actually in OKC (finishing school) but that gives me a good excuse to come down to Big-D, thanks for the tip, I will be watching for new meets and may schedule my trip based on that.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:09 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: VQ is losing oil

Originally posted by Street Reeper

I'm actually in OKC (finishing school) but that gives me a good excuse to come down to Big-D, thanks for the tip, I will be watching for new meets and may schedule my trip based on that.
next meet is on the 28thish... whatever the saturday is around that time... we'll post more info next week.. We're looking at a barbecue by the lake, cruisin/taking pics, and eating dinner @ tigerbull's. Good luck with your leak.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:57 PM

look to see if you have oil around or on your trans
the rear main engine seal in maxs are known to go bad.
It may not leave you with a pudle since the seal is behind your
trans.
just somthing to check
Old 03-30-2003, 03:55 PM

I see in your profile you are in Texas.
Are you running a xw-30 weight oil?

try a xw-40 or even thicker.

Fred...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:14 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by palmerwmd
I see in your profile you are in Texas.
Are you running a xw-30 weight oil?

try a xw-40 or even thicker.

Fred...
My soul is in Texas, my body is in OKC while I finish school, as soon as I'm done it's back to the great state for me.

Thanks for the tip, it is not leaking fast, after about 4,000 miles of really hard driving I have lost about a 1/4 quart of oil, if that much.