General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

In car PC input plate in ash tray what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In car PC input plate in ash tray what do you think?

I am getting my pc on sunday and I was working on my interface plate. What do you guys think, I located it in the ashtray, so far I have the composite video output, audio output, mic input, and ethernet connection. Right now I have a jack on the plate for audio out but it is a mono jack so I don't have a cable soldered to it. I am also going to ad a USB1 and firewire connection once i find a panel mount connector for them. Anyways hows it look, the movement of the ashtray is still nice and smooth. I am going to get a half-normaled jack for the audio output so that the output will be active throught the amps when there is'n an 1/8th inch stereo phono plug inserted. The ethernet connection is so if someone wants to connect thier laptop to the car system, the mic is for voice regonition and hands free cell phone use. It was'nt sure if I wanted to use the svideo out or the composite out, svideo has better quality but I want to be able to attach an external monitor to use the tv tuner to wacth football ect. at a remote location and composte is way more common so I chose it. I am going to add the usb port so I can upload from my digital camera when it is full and firewire because most dv cams ust that type of interface. If you aren't familiar with this project you can catch up at In dash pc on the way!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:49 PM

Picture

Old 03-28-2003, 06:57 PM

The ash tray thing is cool but it looks like your gonna have alot of gizmos going on to worry about while driving, plus you got a 5spd. With all these things i see you have listed in the other thread i think you should re-examine the practicallity of this system
Old 03-28-2003, 07:27 PM

Like a lot of modifications people make, how practical are they? This is actually more practical than most. I am going to use it in place of stock hu, also for navigation, If I am some where with my family and i fill my flash mem on my digital camera I can upload it, same with dv cam, MOst controls will be able to be voice activted. I will also be able to use OBDII port to monitor all sensor in the car and add some if I choose to. The control unit, not the pc(currently under development) is coing to have 7 analog IO ports, 7-10 high current relays, odbII interface. I can play dvd to headrest displays, keep track of vehicle maintenance, use a headseat to comunicate and control unit through voice recogniton, I could use relays to activate doorlocks,sunroof, trunk, turn on amps, turn on neon, foglights, hydraulics LOL, ect, only limitation is my imagination. I/o ports can be used to monitor aftermarket sensors and pre-OBDII senors as well a be used as an alarm system. It will be along time before all the possiblilities are realized. I am goin to install a wi-fi card and access point in my house so I can syncronize databases upon pulling into my driveway. Wireless internet is becoming more affordable and I was just viewing the webcam and communicating via voice with one of the test vehicle through yahoo messanger. The software that is going to be developed wiull allow you to crate different gauge clusters for different situation such as a race cluster, highway cluster and city cluster asl well as record info an export into a spreadsheet. It will be able to record 1/4 mile times and trap speed. I could go on and on this system is going to kick some seriuos A$$ when R&D is done.
DR. J Fever
Old 03-28-2003, 08:44 PM

How are you gonna setup your ethernet connection....
Old 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
How are you gonna setup your ethernet connection....
I have it pinned out standard 586B, I made peer to peer adaptor so a laptop can be connectd and will probably just make a 50' to 75' foot patch cable and keep it in the trunk just in case I want to connect to a hard wired network. I mostly just want to have all the inputs and outputs represented so if the need arises it will be there.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:31 PM

Cool, but I dont see how your gonna run the wires, it looks like it the tray will have to stay open with exposed wires hanging down plugged into it? or is for temporary connections?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by MAXIN
Cool, but I dont see how your gonna run the wires, it looks like it the tray will have to stay open with exposed wires hanging down plugged into it? or is for temporary connections?
Nope everthing runs out of the back of the ashtray and will go directly into the pc. The ashtray closes and opens very smooth and when closed will not look anything other than stock. Hopefully I will be able to mount the cpu so the dvd eject out of the door of the lower pocket. It should work fine. I get It on sunday and plan to post pics so we shall see.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:04 PM

Pictures

Old 03-28-2003, 11:21 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by drjohnnyfever
Nope everthing runs out of the back of the ashtray and will go directly into the pc. The ashtray closes and opens very smooth and when closed will not look anything other than stock. Hopefully I will be able to mount the cpu so the dvd eject out of the door of the lower pocket. It should work fine. I get It on sunday and plan to post pics so we shall see.
Watch out for the 5spd with a tray-load DVD drive, you may have trouble with 1,3,5, unless you've got a SS and short shift ****. I believe apple makes a slot-load DVD drive that can be adapted to a PC.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:42 AM

Ahh I see it now..
Old 03-30-2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM

Watch out for the 5spd with a tray-load DVD drive, you may have trouble with 1,3,5, unless you've got a SS and short shift ****. I believe apple makes a slot-load DVD drive that can be adapted to a PC.
I was concerned with that but the computer uses laptop periphrials and it does'nt eject that far.