General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Help a 1997 Maxima Owner (warning-Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help a 1997 Maxima Owner (warning-Long Post)

Hey all, great forum.

I own a 1997 GXE. It has 78K miles on it, and I've decided that not having a car payment is great, the car is still in very good shape.

I would like to make some enhancements, and I know just enough to be dangerous to myself, and possibly mankind in general.

I work in sales for a very conservative company, I need my car, having a tricked out car is simply a bad move for to many reasons to mention. What I would like to maintain, and give the impression of, is having a car that appears on the outside to just be a very well maintained 1997 Maxima. However, I'd like to have a car that at least performance wise has a little more bite to go with the bark. I'd prefer also to stay with standard tire sizes, albeit high quality tires.

You guys reel me in if I'm off base, but I think I can accomplish these things by concentrating on the following:

Engine Compartment:
Intake-If so what brand?
Electronics Module-If so what brand?

Emission:
What kind of exhaust setup will still provide a relative level of quiet and refinement while improving performance. A little more snarl is fine, waking the neighbors and being unable to talk to clients on the way to lunch is not.

Exterior:
I'd like to add 'fog' lights, but I want to give the impression to someone that they've been there all along, any thoughts on any HID possibilities, that don't look too exotic.

Suspension:
Would love to quiet the car down some, and yet improve handling, but don't want anything that's going to crack teeth on every bump. Any thoughts?

Anybody ever replaced the stock front seats, I'd love something a little more comfortable, will generation 5 seats fit in a generation 4 Maxima?? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: Help a 1997 Maxima Owner (warning-Long Post)

Originally posted by NCCat
Hey all, great forum.

I own a 1997 GXE. It has 78K miles on it, and I've decided that not having a car payment is great, the car is still in very good shape.

I would like to make some enhancements, and I know just enough to be dangerous to myself, and possibly mankind in general.

I work in sales for a very conservative company, I need my car, having a tricked out car is simply a bad move for to many reasons to mention. What I would like to maintain, and give the impression of, is having a car that appears on the outside to just be a very well maintained 1997 Maxima. However, I'd like to have a car that at least performance wise has a little more bite to go with the bark. I'd prefer also to stay with standard tire sizes, albeit high quality tires.

You guys reel me in if I'm off base, but I think I can accomplish these things by concentrating on the following:

Engine Compartment:
Intake-If so what brand?
You might just want a regular mid-pipe/cone intake or go with the modified airbox version which I have read is a much better alternative and looks pretty much stock
Electronics Module-If so what brand?JWT makes one

Emission:
What kind of exhaust setup will still provide a relative level of quiet and refinement while improving performance. A little more snarl is fine, waking the neighbors and being unable to talk to clients on the way to lunch is not. Lately there have been some that have gotten OBX Catbacks and are happy with them, alternative is either Stillen or having a custom made one.

Exterior:
I'd like to add 'fog' lights, but I want to give the impression to someone that they've been there all along, any thoughts on any HID possibilities, that don't look too exotic. get 97 stock fog lights, are not all that effective but gives OEM look

Suspension:
Would love to quiet the car down some, and yet improve handling, but don't want anything that's going to crack teeth on every bump. Any thoughts?Maxspeeds/Eibachs give lower stance that is not too harsh...Maxspeeds are more like SE ride

Anybody ever replaced the stock front seats, I'd love something a little more comfortable, will generation 5 seats fit in a generation 4 Maxima?? Just curious.NOpe don't think it would work without modification, but is it worth it?

Thanks in advance. Sure no problem
Old 04-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Help a 1997 Maxima Owner (warning-Long Post)

Originally posted by NCCat
Hey all, great forum.

Engine Compartment: Varialbe intake Manifold, Place Racing Cold Air intake
Intake-If so what brand?
Electronics Module-If so what brand? Nothing is really available for the 1997 as a "bolt on"

Emission:
What kind of exhaust setup will still provide a relative level of quiet and refinement while improving performance. A little more snarl is fine, waking the neighbors and being unable to talk to clients on the way to lunch is not.

You will not see much of a power gain from an exhaust. If you would like to increase power get a Y pipe.

Exterior:
I'd like to add 'fog' lights, but I want to give the impression to someone that they've been there all along, any thoughts on any HID possibilities, that don't look too exotic.

Not too sure here, my car came with them

Suspension:
Would love to quiet the car down some, and yet improve handling, but don't want anything that's going to crack teeth on every bump. Any thoughts?

Maxspeed springs and KYB AGX struts, not a harsh drop but great improvement in handling.

Anybody ever replaced the stock front seats, I'd love something a little more comfortable, will generation 5 seats fit in a generation 4 Maxima?? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Answers above!
D
Old 04-02-2003, 11:59 AM
Custom User Title...

welcome to the org...please read the faq's. they answer many if not all of your questions.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 PM

Stillen Catback would be TOO loud for what you want...Get the Apex WS Cat...It's the quietest one out there...Also for your suspension, run H&Rs w/KYB AGXs...This lowers the car about 1.4-1.5 inches and still rides comfortable...Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2003, 12:07 PM

wow, your philosophy is just like mine when it comes to modding - subtle, but effective. I am not going to be of much help with most things you have requested, but i'll put in my $0.02 anyways.

As for the ECM ("Electronics Module") - I would leave it stock since there is not much to be gained unless you add a MEVI (Variable Intake) which is another topic altogether.

Most around here agree that a Y-Pipe will give the most bang for the back in the exhaust dept and it's a relatively inexpensive mod although I am yet to get one myself.

Handling - first and foremost - get a FTSB (Front Strut Tower Brace) - the ones off Ebay will do fine and you can buy it for about $30.00 shipped. Installing it didn't take me more than 15 minutes. This was the first thing I added to my 96 GXE and gave the car a very different feel in medium/high speed corners. The front-end got a lot more predictable.

Exterior - Get yourself a set of Clear Bumper lights to replace the Amber ones you have already in the front. Gives the car a much a cleaner look.

These are pretty much the only things I've done to my car. Love it sooo much that I am tied between keeping the 96 GXE and trading it in for a 5th Gen Maxima.

I'll let the more experienced guys comment on the more serious mods.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:14 PM

Intake - Whatever they already said..

ECU - Wouldn't bother in your case really unless you go with the MEVI

Exterior - OEM Fogs and DC Clears

Handling - I would try to pick up a set of SE Springs and KYB GR-2's...The ride is incredible, and the handling is slightly better..It's not aftermarket springs, so the handling isn't as great, but the ride quality is the same if not better.

Exhaust - Y-pipe of choice, B-pipe of choice, and a 2k1 muffler, or y-pipe of choice and an A'pexi WS or OBX Catback..
Old 04-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Zog

You could also slap on some 5th gen SE 17's for a nicer look than whatever stock wheels you have without looking un-profesional.