General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I need some opinions on a ticket........

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I need some opinions on a ticket........

I got a ticket for speeding, tailgating, and loud stereo!!! First of all, is tailgating a point on driving record??? Now should I go to court and ask the judge for traffic school, since I was 2 months away from the 18 month wait, or should I pay 5 bucks over the fine and hope it never shows up on my record?????? Does the latter option even work??? HELP!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 11:00 PM
dmontzsta

Re: I need some opinions on a ticket........

Originally posted by big_dawg
I got a ticket for speeding, tailgating, and loud stereo!!! First of all, is tailgating a point on driving record??? Now should I go to court and ask the judge for traffic school, since I was 2 months away from the 18 month wait, or should I pay 5 bucks over the fine and hope it never shows up on my record?????? Does the latter option even work??? HELP!!!!!!!!!
It is a moving violation. You have 2 there, I dont think stereo is one, but it does classify as moving.

Come to a meet and I will tell you!

You coming out to play soon? Fellow 909'r

Old 04-02-2003, 11:11 PM

You should fight them, they usually cut you some slack when you go to court from what I have heard. Not sure about that paying over thing, but it seems to good to be true, I wouldn't risk it.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:07 AM

Re: Re: I need some opinions on a ticket........

Originally posted by dmontzsta

It is a moving violation. You have 2 there, I dont think stereo is one, but it does classify as moving.

Come to a meet and I will tell you!

You coming out to play soon? Fellow 909'r
I hope to have tranny fixed by next week!!! Too bad it's going back into shop soon afterwards for some other shet to be installed.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: I need some opinions on a ticket........

I got a ticket for speeding,
Slow down.

tailgating,

Why would you drive that close to the car in front of you? It's dangerous, doesn't get you anywhere faster and to get a ticket for it you had to be pretty freaking close too.

and loud stereo!!!

The loud stereo is easy to beat, what time did this happen? Noise is usually governed at night, not during the day.

Plead not guilty and be VERY nice to the prosecutor. If you play your cards right, you can get the charges reduced.

Please slow down, stop tailgating and enjoy you music!
Old 04-03-2003, 06:32 AM

here is what the paying over thing does....

you write a chack for your ticket plus $1 more
they cash the check and send you a $1 refund
you NEVER cash that $1 refund
since they add the points once the transaction is totally finished, and you have not finished the transaction by cahing your 1$ check they do not add ppints, but the computers show there isnt a problem since they did receive the $$$, you are off on your way w/o any points

i heard this only works in certain states, it is a backup for fighting it in court, give it a try, what do you have to lose?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by waveridr85
give it a try, what do you have to lose?
$1
Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

The paying-over-don't-cash-the-refund thing doesn't work.

If you want to fight it then try filing a discovery motion for the cruiser's video of the event. You may be surprised at how close you actually were. Or you may see that you were not tailgating. On the video you can use the 2-second rule. If you were less than 1 second, or even less than .5 seconds ( ) behind then 'fess up.

If you know you are innocent, then fight it. If you know you did it, then just pay up.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Scruit
The paying-over-don't-cash-the-refund thing doesn't work.

If you want to fight it then try filing a discovery motion for the cruiser's video of the event. You may be surprised at how close you actually were. Or you may see that you were not tailgating. On the video you can use the 2-second rule. If you were less than 1 second, or even less than .5 seconds ( ) behind then 'fess up.

If you know you are innocent, then fight it. If you know you did it, then just pay up.
What video are you talking about???? It was a motorcycle cop here in BFE Temecula, no video. And I'm not innocent, I was tailgating trying to get over in front of the car next to me, that's why I'm asking these questions. I hope the cop just doesn't show...... makes it so much easier.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:52 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: I need some opinions on a ticket........

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Why would you drive that close to the car in front of you? It's dangerous, doesn't get you anywhere faster...
that's a seinfeld episode... "I would have been here sooner but the guy in front of me had a bike rack!"
Old 04-04-2003, 10:41 AM
STFU n00b!

What video are you talking about???? It was a motorcycle cop here in BFE Temecula, no video. And I'm not innocent, I was tailgating trying to get over in front of the car next to me, that's why I'm asking these questions. I hope the cop just doesn't show...... makes it so much easier.

then you're guilty. pay the fine and be done with it. or go to court and kiss the judge's feet and ask for a lesser fine/punishment. no point in trying to fight it if you and the cop agree you did it.