General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got In Accident- Need Advice On How To Handle Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:11 PM

HELP, Got in accident and insurance is trying to RIP ME OFF

About 2 weeks ago I was rear ended and my rear bumper was broken. I did not call the police when it happened, we just exchanged insurance info and she said she would admit fault. At the time, I thought my car was driveable but later noticed it wasn't b/c bumper was hitting the tire when i drove and the bumper was also hanging off the car. I call the lady's insurance company (All State) and tell them my car isn't driveable and they put me in a rental car. First problem, they put the car in my dad's name so i can't drive the car without paying an extra $10 a day (I'm under 21). Every other time i've been in accidents the insurance companies have always put the car in my name since i was the one involved in the accidents. I asked them to put it in my name and they said they would only put it in the owner's name. Second problem, now insurance says they will only pay 5 days for the rental b/c it only takes 2 days to paint and install a new bumper. I've had the rental for 7-8 days now. Shipping the bumper from Cali takes 5-7 business days but VIS doesn't have the bumper in stock so i can't get it until it's in stock. Insurance says it is not their problem. What should i do? I haven't even received the check from them to fix my car yet either. Am i supposed to order the part even though they haven't compensated me? Please let me know what u think i can do.
Thanx,
Lam
Old 04-06-2003, 10:01 PM
STFU n00b!

They owe you a rental for the entire time your car is out of commission, not just the 5 days they talk about. it's not your fault she hit your car, and she pays insurance for a reason. You shouldn't have to suffer because her insurance company is cheap.

1. call YOUR insurance company and tell them what's going on. they will probably make a few phone calls and straighten things out.

2. if that doesn't work, call the state insurance commissioner and being to file the paperwork with a complaint about the company. Also be sure to let the insurance company know you've contacted the comissioner. they tend to straighten up and do right when they know the law is watching them.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:18 AM

HELP, Got in accident and insurance is trying to RIP ME OFF

Bump
Old 04-07-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
They owe you a rental for the entire time your car is out of commission, not just the 5 days they talk about. it's not your fault she hit your car, and she pays insurance for a reason. You shouldn't have to suffer because her insurance company is cheap.

1. call YOUR insurance company and tell them what's going on. they will probably make a few phone calls and straighten things out.

2. if that doesn't work, call the state insurance commissioner and being to file the paperwork with a complaint about the company. Also be sure to let the insurance company know you've contacted the comissioner. they tend to straighten up and do right when they know the law is watching them.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:34 AM
NT2SHBBY

Re: HELP, Got in accident and insurance is trying to RIP ME OFF

Originally posted by Blk2kMAXSE
About 2 weeks ago I was rear ended and my rear bumper was broken. I did not call the police when it happened, we just exchanged insurance info and she said she would admit fault. At the time, I thought my car was driveable but later noticed it wasn't b/c bumper was hitting the tire when i drove and the bumper was also hanging off the car. I call the lady's insurance company (All State) and tell them my car isn't driveable and they put me in a rental car. First problem, they put the car in my dad's name so i can't drive the car without paying an extra $10 a day (I'm under 21). Every other time i've been in accidents the insurance companies have always put the car in my name since i was the one involved in the accidents. I asked them to put it in my name and they said they would only put it in the owner's name. Second problem, now insurance says they will only pay 5 days for the rental b/c it only takes 2 days to paint and install a new bumper. I've had the rental for 7-8 days now. Shipping the bumper from Cali takes 5-7 business days but VIS doesn't have the bumper in stock so i can't get it until it's in stock. Insurance says it is not their problem. What should i do? I haven't even received the check from them to fix my car yet either. Am i supposed to order the part even though they haven't compensated me? Please let me know what u think i can do.
Thanx,
Lam
I'd call up the lady's ins co and tell them either they fix your car, send you the check, stop fukin around or you're gonna take them to court and sue the crap outta them....

She hit you, and as long as she admitted to them that that was the case, they shouldn't hassle you. They're probably messin with you because you're a young kid, I'm guessing.

Prove to them that you have the intelligence of an older person and that you aren't standing for their crap.

Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 AM

Welcome to my club, other companies hate paying rental car. I once got in an accident and got a rental car. Since this chick that worked at Hertz liked me she hooked me up with a Lincoln Towncar for $25 / day (the lowest she could go). I was like aight HOOK IT UP and took the Town Car. Their company then charged me $25 a day because I had an upgraded rental car. I fought forever and they were like no, we're not going to pay since you rented a towncar which is above what we'd supply you. I was like, but the price is the same, and they went to argue that it doesn't matter, one shouldn't be driving a town car and only paying $25 a day out of pocket for a towncar isn't bad. I said, well then would you charge me if I borrowed my dad's BMW? He said, that's not the same your dad doesn't rent cars.

At any rate, I will never have or deal with All State insurance, freaking ****s there. I had State Farm cover my rental car because I was so ****ed.

At any rate, your problem is that you ordered a part and they don't care if it's out of stock. You can goto any Nissan dealer and get a bumper within 1 day. If you want them to pay for your rental car everyday then you need to take it to a shop they recommend, then you can start complaining about it not getting done on time. Sorry bro, insurance companies are EVIL, they collect premiums, they mad invest the premiums, and then they pay negotiators and attorneys a crap load to prevent them from paying out.

I work for big insurance and let me tell you, this company never hurts for cash. I don't care how crappy the market is, insurance always does well. Other people's insurance companies treat you a lot worse then they treat their own members. Getting in an accident sucks period, you'll always be out of pocket.

Next time file the accident with your insurance company first to get a claim number, and then have your insurance company fight with the other company to get paid back. I always do that and I make out fine, like that's how state farm paid for my lincoln when all state refused too. No points go on my record since state farm doesn't pay out and it's not my fault. Just call and say I'm unsure whether her insurance is good, they don't have record of it. Give your agent all your info regarding the accident, they'll easily figure out everything is cool and at this point you already have a claim with your company.

I recommend state farm, they don't **** you around.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:51 AM

Thanx for the advice,
I called my insurance co. (Progressive) and they said they couldn't do anything. I filed a claim so i could speak to an adjuster and he said legally there was nothing he could do and he closed my claim. He said if there are any problems, I have to take it up w/ All State. He told me i should speak to the supervisor at All State but when i spoke to him the a**hole hung up on me. My next step is to file a complaint w/ the state insurance commissioner. What do u guys think? Is there any other way this can be handled? The guy at Progressive told me if there is a problem getting the part, they should pay for it. Only excuse they have for not paying for the rental is if the shop is taking too long, for example, letting the car sit for a few days eventhough they have the part. Please let me know what other options i have.
Thanx,
Lam
Old 04-07-2003, 10:13 AM

Thanx for the advice,
I called my insurance co. (Progressive) and they said they couldn't do anything. I filed a claim so i could speak to an adjuster and he said legally there was nothing he could do and he closed my claim. He said if there are any problems, I have to take it up w/ All State. He told me i should speak to the supervisor at All State but when i spoke to him the a**hole hung up on me. My next step is to file a complaint w/ the state insurance commissioner. What do u guys think? Is there any other way this can be handled? The guy at Progressive told me if there is a problem getting the part, they should pay for it. Only excuse they have for not paying for the rental is if the shop is taking too long, for example, letting the car sit for a few days eventhough they have the part. Please let me know what other options i have.
Thanx,
Lam
Didn't you order a special part from a special place. I'd file a complaint against progressive and all state, no body seems to give a **** about you, man that sucks. What the hell do you pay for then?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:42 AM
STFU n00b!

do you know exactly who hung up on you at the insurance company?

my first stop after that incident would be to the commissioner, and explain EXACTLY how you're being treated.

it might also be a good idea to call a scum-sucking late night ad on TV type of lawyer and let them hassle the insurance company for a while. don't your neck and lower back hurt a bit?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:19 PM

I know one of the people's names who hung up on me, the other person was a lady and i just know her first name. The guy hung up on me when I asked to speak to his supervisor. I then called back and he tranferred me to his supervisor. His supervisor wasn't in but the assistant told me that he would probobly take his employee's side so there was really nothing i could do. He was supposed to call me today but i haven't heard from him yet. What a way to run a business. Please give me any other suggestions.
Thnx,
Lam
Old 04-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Time to file complaint with insurance commissioner. Also, when you call ins co back mention "bad Faith" a lot. Any injuries? If so, I'll take your case-what state are you in. 25% is my min fee and I do the PD part for free.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:28 AM

anymore suggestions?
Old 04-08-2003, 03:19 PM

anymore suggestions?
Everyone has stated some pretty good ideas. I'd go with what Matt93SE said. The only way you're going to get anywhere with Allstate is to scare them; hence the state insurance commission. Best of luck to you. My car just went through a hail storm today.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM

isnt there anyway u can take them to court for that ****? i know u ****ed man - **** i would b too - lady *** up ure car and then u go through all this shii to get a insurance company to pay for it. daz mean man - best of luck let us know how it goes.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:47 PM

i would like to try to avoid going to court if possible. i'll let everyone know how it goes.
thanx,
Lam
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

was involved in a hit and run, and my insurance co. handled it nicely. Granted, you're dealing with an insurance co that's not your own but I would threaten court action first (in writing to the highest authority you can muster at all state--as well as all of those that f---ed you... as well as the state board) Tell all Sate what you're doing, as well as the fact that you're more that willing to take it all the way. Write all of the letters in appropriate business format (you can probably find this in Microsoft Word or the like.) Being in the right format means a lot. Stick to your guns, they'll submit rather than make an issue about it. Also, write a business format letter to progressive pressing your case. Make calls after the letters should have arrived o all parties mentioned. DON'T BVACK DOWN!