General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
I am having quite a conflict with the company as a whole right now. Stay tuned..........
Old 04-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by SR20DEN

shut up you know the deal
Old 04-17-2003, 01:49 PM
VQ Wizard

shut up you know the deal
Old 04-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am having quite a conflict with the company as a whole right now. Stay tuned..........
Could you be a little more specific, blubyu2k2?
Old 04-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by y2kse

Could you be a little more specific, blubyu2k2?
well I recieved a damaged pulley and e-mailed them that day...my e-mail below:
I recieved my UDP today but want to send it back b/c it had nicks all around the outer rim and don't want to install it like this. I also don't need the timing ring with mine b/c I have a 02 and its not needed. I am replacing my current unothodox racing pulley b/c i am having problems with noise and another org member said he used your pulley and the napa belt and the noise was gone but had it with the UR pulley. Let me know asap and hopefully I can get this one replaced without nicks and a timing ring. Matt

there response:
please send it back immediately with a note, we will switch it ASAP. I apologize

OK keep in mind I had the UR pulley installed already and I happened to resolve my issue with the noise so the nest day I simply asked could I recieve a refund. They said sure you just need to cover the shipping charges. I shipped it back via usps 2-3 day. There response when they recieved my pulley:

we did, the new ring on it went out on friday

now remember I asked for a refund and they had no problem with it.

my next response:
I was wanting a refund. I fixed the problem with my current pulley. I thought I had asked for that and got the ok from you to refund the money. Please if at all possible can I get the refund. Guess I will have to pay to ship it back again. BTW the 02-03 don't need the timing ring just for info. Let me know were I stand.

then I recieve this crap from them:
no, the pulley was clearly installed, therefor we cannot accept returns, i am sorry, but if its new and I can resell it, its fine, but once you installed it, you own it

Old 04-17-2003, 02:57 PM

well I recieved a damaged pulley and e-mailed them that day...my e-mail below . . .
Let me get this straight, bluby2k2. RVM is saying that you installed their pulley and you're saying that you didn't. Is that right?
Old 04-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Blu
the tits

Let me get this straight, bluby2k2. RVM is saying that you installed their pulley and you're saying that you didn't. Is that right?
yes thats correct I had the UR pulley already installed and I was going to replace it but I fixed the noise I was having on the UR pulley so i no longer had use of the RVM. I had it all of 2 days before I sent it back.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:08 PM

yes thats correct I had the UR pulley already installed and I was going to replace it but I fixed the noise I was having on the UR pulley so i no longer had use of the RVM. I had it all of 2 days before I sent it back.
That's not good. The pulley would have shown some wear marks on it had it been installed. RVMs unwillingness to allow you to return an uninstalled pulley coupled with their erroneous insistence that UR produced unsleeved pullies may provide sufficient justification to take our future business elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:13 PM

They don't even care about the problem. They are not even willing to listen and try to fix the problem. Only thing they can say is "Well it's your installer's fault" even though they followed the instruction that came with it and hand torqued it. Just wait till everyone who have installed it had enough time and miles on them.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by virus99
They don't even care about the problem. They are not even willing to listen and try to fix the problem. Only thing they can say is "Well it's your installer's fault" even though they followed the instruction that came with it and hand torqued it. Just wait till everyone who have installed it had enough time and miles on them.
That's why I created the poll, virus99. Time will tell . . .
Old 04-17-2003, 05:22 PM
Blu
the tits

Old 04-17-2003, 07:50 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, blubyu2k2. Between RVM's unwillingness to honor their agreement to provide you with a refund and their misrepresentation concerning the supposed absence of sleeves on UR UDPs, it appears that RVM has no intention of standing behind their products.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:50 AM

Someone voted today on the RVM UDP poll that they have an oil leak with their pulley. But they didn't identify themselves. PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IF YOU VOTE "YES". State in your post when you purchased the pulley and how many miles you had on it when the oil leak developed.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:06 PM

Bump

Anyone else having a problem with oil leaking from their RVM UDP? If so, please step forward . . .
Old 04-21-2003, 05:41 PM

I don't think most people have got lot's of milage on them yet.
and I drive like a maniac and go to track often so mine could have worn down faster the most. If you know how to take them apart and put them back, I recommand doing it and look at the UDP to see if there is any wear on it.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by ][ 35
and I drive like a maniac and go to track often so mine could have worn down faster the most. If you know how to take them apart and put them back, I recommand doing it and look at the UDP to see if there is any wear on it.
I suspect most people won't do that, ][ 35. I paid to have my pulley professionally installed and I don't want to have to pay again to have it uninstalled just so I can take a look at it. I'd rather wait and hope that I don't actually develop an oil leak. But my hat's off to anyone who'd be willing to remove their pulley to check for damage before it starts to leak. Given virus99's and your experience, I'd imagine just about every RVM pulley with more than a few hundred miles on it will show some amount of abrasion from the oil seal.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:09 PM

ya that is the reason why I said if you know how to do it. where it's not going to cost anything to check.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:36 PM

ya that is the reason why I said if you know how to do it. where it's not going to cost anything to check.
Except your time, some bruised knuckles, and the very real possibility of bad news at the end of all your efforts, of course.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by Kanaka

Yes. Eli said to mail the ring back to him and he would send me a new ring. I called him 4/13. He said he received my ring and mailed me a new one. Still waiting.
I finally got the ring back from RVM...it is the same as the old pulley. Wrong design. I will probably just try to fabricate the ring locally. this is BS.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:09 PM

You are supposed to replace the oil seal every time you remove the crankshaft pully though, right? How bad of a leak developed? Did you notice oil on your driveway or something?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Anachronism

You are supposed to replace the oil seal every time you remove the crankshaft pully though, right? How bad of a leak developed? Did you notice oil on your driveway or something?
oil seal is cheap. I replaced it every time UDP was taken apart.

The oil leak was pretty bad b/c it was very noticable all over the place where I parked my car.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well with all these reports, I took a look at my yet-to-be-installed RVM UDP to check the timing ring and also to look at the oil seal area. Well take a look at the pic below. There is visible where on the inner spindle area and doesn't look like the new RVM UDP posted earlier in this thread. I also took Kanaka's directions for checking the timing ring and on mine, the two single tabs are aligned with the gap between the two double tabs--so will this cause problems? In any case, they said they don't know how a used one would have been shipped since they "never had any used ones to begin with" but it could just be a mfg defect since the rest of the UDP looks new. I just wanted to post because they told blubyu2k2 that his new UDP was "visibly installed" previously when he said it wasn't... maybe it looked like mine.

Old 04-22-2003, 05:31 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by Mishmosh
Well with all these reports, I took a look at my yet-to-be-installed RVM UDP to check the timing ring and also to look at the oil seal area. Well take a look at the pic below. There is visible where on the inner spindle area and doesn't look like the new RVM UDP posted earlier in this thread. I also took Kanaka's directions for checking the timing ring and on mine, the two single tabs are aligned with the gap between the two double tabs--so will this cause problems? In any case, they said they don't know how a used one would have been shipped since they "never had any used ones to begin with" but it could just be a mfg defect since the rest of the UDP looks new. I just wanted to post because they told blubyu2k2 that his new UDP was "visibly installed" previously when he said it wasn't... maybe it looked like mine.

exactly this company is very shady
Old 04-22-2003, 06:01 AM

that UDP has been used for sure and shows the wear by the oil seal.
I really hope they do something about it by replacing the damanged ones and give us the steel sleeves.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:50 AM

that UDP has been used for sure and shows the wear by the oil seal.
I really hope they do something about it by replacing the damanged ones and give us the steel sleeves.
No, that pulley has not been used. My pulley looked exactly like that when I received it...unless he's reselling returned pulleys. I think what they did was cut a slight groove so that it "looked" like there was a steel sleeve installed on the shaft.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Kanaka

No, that pulley has not been used. My pulley looked exactly like that when I received it...unless he's reselling returned pulleys. I think what they did was cut a slight groove so that it "looked" like there was a steel sleeve installed on the shaft.
I believe ][ 35 is correct, Kanaka. That pulley does show signs of abrasion from the oil seal. That means that the pulley was previously installed. The abrasion is minor, but it's definitely visible. The damage on the end of the pulley is NOT the result of oil seal abrasion. That's most likely the result of poor machining.

I'd suggest you return the UDP to RVM for a full and complete refund.

And yes, ][ 35. I am now going to replace my RVM UDP with a UR UDP. Enough is enough.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Blu
the tits

I believe ][ 35 is correct, Kanaka. That pulley does show signs of abrasion from the oil seal. That means that the pulley was previously installed. The abrasion is minor, but it's definitely visible. The damage on the end of the pulley is NOT the result of oil seal abrasion. That's most likely the result of poor machining.

I'd suggest you return the UDP to RVM for a full and complete refund.

And yes, ][ 35. I am now going to replace my RVM UDP with a UR UDP. Enough is enough.
Im glad I kept my UR pulley but now I am still in a bind trying to get my money back. I have no clue whats going on with them. Its been like 8 days so if they shipped me a new one I would have gotten it now. Im glad its still on my CC the only time I have ever used my CC for a car mod too.

Matt
Old 04-22-2003, 11:07 AM

well as far the the RVM UDP fitment, i didn't have any problem with it. i just want a new replacement which i can try to find a steel sleeve for it or RVM provide the part to fix the problem. sooner the better too.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:25 AM

I've already made up my mind. I'm replacing my RVM UDP with a UR UDP. If RVM issues a recall, I'll have them sleeve my pulley. Then I'll turn around and sell it.

Anyone wishing to swap out their RVM UDP for a UR UDP should contact Stillen. If you don't already have a sales rep at Stillen, ask for Adam Hume. He's aware of the problem with the RVM pulleys and he'll sell you the UR UDP at a decent price. Just tell him Bruce from the Org sent you.

Adam can be reached at 714-540-9154 x 138.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:07 PM

Thanks!

y2kse,

Thanks for the contact info. I am currently in NYC (I live in Milwaukee) and I have the RVM pulley with me (thinking to install it in NYC).

I want to buy the Definitive Pulley, but they won't be able to get it shipped to me until 3pm tomorrow (Pacific), and I have the appointment with Jeff @ Maximum Tuning at 9am.

So, I would probably go with Stillen.....especially since the price is very reasonable (and you don't get oil leak with that).

I've already made up my mind. I'm replacing my RVM UDP with a UR UDP. If RVM issues a recall, I'll have them sleeve my pulley. Then I'll turn around and sell it.

Anyone wishing to swap out their RVM UDP for a UR UDP should contact Stillen. If you don't already have a sales rep at Stillen, ask for Adam Hume. He's aware of the problem with the RVM pulleys and he'll sell you the UR UDP at a decent price. Just tell him Bruce from the Org sent you.

Adam can be reached at 714-540-9154 x 138.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by ardika
y2kse,

I would probably go with Stillen.....especially since the price is very reasonable (and you don't get oil leak with that).

You're right, ardika. Unorthodox Racing uses a steel sleeve on their Maxima UDPs which eliminates the possibility of abrasion from the oil seal. Definitive Motorsports uses a bronze sleeve that serves the same purpose.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:07 AM
Blu
the tits

Just a little update on my situation.

My E-mail to RVM: So whats the status on this. I hope everything is settled now but if there is still some type of confussion let me know. Matt

RVM: i will check for tommorow, please hold

Me: I'm still waiting here on my end to see if my money is going to be refunded to my CC. There are a couple others that have recieved damaged pulleys that haven't been installed also just to bring it to your attention. Let me know I still have the charges for this on my CC. Matt

RVM: not one person has ever received a damages pulley sir

I don't know what the fukk this company is trying to pull but its starting to pi$$ me the fukk off. I don't appreciate them calling me and the few others liars about recieving damaged pullies. Also 2 fridays ago I was sent an e-mail saying they had sent out a new pulley and have a recieved anything yet fukk no. THIS COMPANY IS GOING DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL LIKE THEY WERE ABOUT A YEAR AGO.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:31 AM

Just a little update on my situation.

My E-mail to RVM: So whats the status on this. I hope everything is settled now but if there is still some type of confussion let me know. Matt

RVM: i will check for tommorow, please hold

Me: I'm still waiting here on my end to see if my money is going to be refunded to my CC. There are a couple others that have recieved damaged pulleys that haven't been installed also just to bring it to your attention. Let me know I still have the charges for this on my CC. Matt

RVM: not one person has ever received a damages pulley sir

I don't know what the fukk this company is trying to pull but its starting to pi$$ me the fukk off. I don't appreciate them calling me and the few others liars about recieving damaged pullies. Also 2 fridays ago I was sent an e-mail saying they had sent out a new pulley and have a recieved anything yet fukk no. THIS COMPANY IS GOING DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL LIKE THEY WERE ABOUT A YEAR AGO.
It's difficult to know whether RVM is lying or simply in denial about what's going on with their pulleys. Sooner or later, the weight of the evidence will prevail and they'll have to show their true colors. Until then, persistent but polite persuasion is the tactic I'd suggest you use.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:30 AM

i have been as nice as i can with them, and i just hope they will start looking to fix the problem.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:32 AM

i have been as nice as i can with them, and i just hope they will start looking to fix the problem.
The only available "fix" is for RVM to issue an RMA (or an outright recall). At that point, the pulley(s) would have to be returned, machined, sleeved, and sent back to their owner(s). Needless to say, this would be a time-consuming and expensive operation from RVM's perspective. But it's the proper thing to do. Whether RVM has enough integrity to admit the problem and do something about it or whether some 200+ RVM Maxima UDP owners will ultimately learn an expensive lesson remains to be seen.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Blu
the tits

The only available "fix" is for RVM to issue an RMA (or an outright recall). At that point, the pulley(s) would have to be returned, machined, sleeved, and sent back to their owner(s). Needless to say, this would be a time-consuming and expensive operation from RVM's perspective. But it's the proper thing to do. Whether RVM has enough integrity to admit the problem and do something about it or whether some 200+ RVM Maxima UDP owners will ultimately learn an expensive lesson remains to be seen.
according to one of my last e-mails RVM thinks its just a matter of owners over torqueing
Old 04-23-2003, 01:22 PM

Okay I have spoken with RVM again and so far less then 10 people have reported the problem and they will not admit to any fault at all.

By RVM Rep "Even if we have 50% of the RVM UDP owners claim oil leak, it's not our fault. It is because they didn't torqued it right"

WTF kind of statment is that? But RVM did state that the new UDP will have steel sleeves on them. Sorry *** part is that no matter what happen, even with 100% having problem with oil leak, they said will not recall to fix the problem or replace it.

This is pretty lame and shaddy company if you ask me!!!!!!

And blubyu2k2 and Mishmosh I hope they are atleast going to replace your UDP since it is suppose to be new. So ask for the new UDP that comes with steel sleeves on them.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally posted by virus99
Okay I have spoken with RVM again and so far less then 10 people have reported the problem and they will not admit to any fault at all.

By RVM Rep "Even if we have 50% of the RVM UDP owners claim oil leak, it's not our fault. It is because they didn't torqued it right"

WTF kind of statment is that? But RVM did state that the new UDP will have steel sleeves on them. Sorry *** part is that no matter what happen, even with 100% having problem with oil leak, they said will not recall to fix the problem or replace it.

This is pretty lame and shaddy company if you ask me!!!!!!

And blubyu2k2 and Mishmosh I hope they are atleast going to replace your UDP since it is suppose to be new. So ask for the new UDP that comes with steel sleeves on them.
well I sent mine back and on 4-14 they said a new one was sent out friday which was the 11th. Now I ask for the status and I get this RVM: there is nothing wrong with our items, the main problem lies in the over torquing of them, and the timing ring issue will be fixed in a recall of the new batch, which will be arriving shortly. So I was told it shipped the 11th in which they didn't even have the pulley in stock. And what is this recall they are talking about now. What a bunch of *******s. I will be reporting them to the BBB soon if anybody would like to join me.

Matt
Old 04-23-2003, 02:00 PM

they are pretty shady... they told one person that no recall what so ever and they talked to blubyu2k2 about recall? what is going on?

i'm in all the way to report them to BBB to fix our problem or cause some headache to them. i'm all for it...
Old 04-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Blu
the tits

RVM: we are standing behind our items, no refunds will be issued

I will be reporting this to the BBB and I hope all the other org memebers will stand behind me and make something of this and hopefully sink there company this time. They were already in the whole once and tried to make a comeback but looks like they ruined that totally. Please post here if you are willing to take time out to report this LAME company to the BBB.

Matt

Quick Reply: RVM UDP ... Oil Leak!!!!