General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Electric al System in question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Electric al System in question

I am thinking there's a short in electric system. Doesnt seem to affect overall use-ability of vehicle with any identifiable pattern (sits a week and starts, perhaps its draining only when car is on?)
My Haynes manual states ‘To test a short, disconnect negative battery terminal, put a light across terminal to negative clamp. With ignition key off, theres a short if light comes on. Huh, according to this procedure I have a short?
They direct u to pull each fuse to identify branch circuit in question(light should go out). My light always gives a positive result. Something is not right here? This Haynes method seemed relatively idiot proof.
Questions:
Isn't there always a drain on circuit(ie: clock?).
Can you have a short in Alternator and still function
Are there any better approaches to this problem?

ADNY(aka the idiot)
Old 04-14-2003, 08:53 AM

The clock, radio and ECU always draw small amounts of current for holding presets, setting etc. You can remove fuses for the clock and radio. On my Mazda - I used to just disconnect the cable fo the ECU and then check for any current drain. This should work on the Max too..
Old 04-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The plot thickens

Thanks K for the info. But I can only guess about its location (manual brlliantly indicates via pictures that thru 88 it was under front seat and after that it was under dash... but it doesn?t indicate were?
Don?t suppose you know, any ideas on which wire to pull?
ADNY

I used to just disconnect the cable fo the ECU and then check for any current drain. This should work on the Max too..
Old 04-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Electric al System in question

Originally posted by ADNY
I am thinking there's a short in electric system. Doesnt seem to affect overall use-ability of vehicle with any identifiable pattern (sits a week and starts, perhaps its draining only when car is on?)

ADNY(aka the idiot)
ADNY (aka the idiot)
I fail to see any problem with your car. Why are you performing this test in the first place?

What makes you think there's a short someplace? Plus you go futther to say it doesn't seem to affect the overall useability of the vehicle and it even starts after it sits a week?

Tom (aka the curious)