General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bye bye 96 Maxima Hello 2004 WRX (blue) pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 06:55 PM

So when do I get my ride?
Old 04-19-2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Hey Jay,

I see you said something about the VIP club. Is it a guarenteed thing to get the car at invoice when you're a apart of this program?

SO, what are your planned mods? I'm going to do:

Cobb ECU (no manual boost controllers for me, thank you)
Gutted up-pipe
Catback
stock intake modification
boost gauge
higher flowing intercooler pipes
springs
better tires for the 16s

Dave

the VIP program is garentee that you get dealer invoice at ANY dealership in the US. I have sitting in my room, STS, bushings and shift ****, Eibachs, and on the way I have a turboxs boost controller, BOV and an apex turbo timer I have my 18's that I kept from my maxima which I am going to slap on the WRX also
Old 04-20-2003, 05:49 AM

Re: Re: Saab

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Wow a new body style as well as an STI package, and a lucrative deal with Saab all in the same year, sounds like the guy's over @ subrau are staying buisy.
NO! Maximas built in TN, Saabs by Subaru? My buddy's G/F has a 9-3 that is sweet. I don't know the numbers or reliability, but it feels bullet-proof. Subaru has the trademark "air-cooled" ticking sound when they get older. From what I hear novices think they have a serious valvetrain problem but you can keep driving 'em that way, has to do with the boxer motor.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:27 AM

Congats! I guess i'm the only one that liked the front on the older WRX. Those lights "made" the car I loved those round lights and big fogs. Anyway have fun with your knew car
Old 04-20-2003, 08:34 AM

omg you are such an ******* because you got rid of the maxima!!!!!

No im just playing, very nice car :P I wish I had funds for a WRX, I'd keep both the max and the wrx.. AWD yeaaah
Old 04-20-2003, 08:51 AM

No more max...

Nice ride man!!! Wish you alot of luck with it and can't wait to see it all moded out! I know it will look HOTTTT when your done!

-The other Jay From CT
Old 04-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Maybe its just me, but that car looks like a corolla on steroids. Its just plain ugly, but if you're for performance, it must be sweet.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by skeelo34
Maybe its just me, but that car looks like a corolla on steroids. Its just plain ugly, but if you're for performance, it must be sweet.
At first the new changes were welcome, but now I'm not so sure. And the corolla-esque similarities are not lost on me either. Can't believe I'm saying this but the bug eyes is starting to look better in my eyes. I say a preview pic (looked more like a photo than a drawing) in the paper of the Saab version and gotta say the front looks way better. Like the new 9-3 and 9-5 front fascias.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by nymjayjay

the VIP program is garentee that you get dealer invoice at ANY dealership in the US. I have sitting in my room, STS, bushings and shift ****, Eibachs, and on the way I have a turboxs boost controller, BOV and an apex turbo timer I have my 18's that I kept from my maxima which I am going to slap on the WRX also

Time to join the program I guess BTW, how are the 18s from your Maxima going to work on the WRX? My wife's 98 Legacy GT has a completely different 5 lug pattern than my Maxima and from what I understand, the Imprezza has the same bolt pattern as the Legacy.

Dave
Old 04-20-2003, 11:06 AM

Time to join the program I guess BTW, how are the 18s from your Maxima going to work on the WRX? My wife's 98 Legacy GT has a completely different 5 lug pattern than my Maxima and from what I understand, the Imprezza has the same bolt pattern as the Legacy.

Dave
well the rims are 18 x 8 and the lug [attern on the maxima is 5 x 100 just like the WRX to I was told they will work but I guess I will have to just find out. I hope they work cause I would hate to have to sell my rims i love them.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:16 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

well the rims are 18 x 8 and the lug [attern on the maxima is 5 x 100 just like the WRX to I was told they will work but I guess I will have to just find out. I hope they work cause I would hate to have to sell my rims i love them.
our lug pattern isn't 5 x 100. it's 5 x 114.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:22 AM

Best of luck with the car Jay.

BTW-The Subaru lug pattern is 5x100 vs the Maxima which is 5x114.

Yes, a stock WRX will lose to the new Neon on the highway but given the proper mods, it won't even be a contest (assuming the Neon is stock).

The EVO8 has a big mark-up on them - as much as 7-8K if not more. It's still a DSM to me.

The Cobb reflash is the vheapest of them all. Vishnu wants big $$ for a reflash. The Uni-Chip is a good "set it and forget" mod. I was running a Link ECU and then swapped to a TXS Utec.

Dave B, why only a catback? Go for the turbo-back. The up-pipe should be the first thing done IMHO.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:28 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

DUDE! was ur car supercharged? and did u sell it for $5600 WITH the supercharger?? or is that home page not ur's?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by nismos14
DUDE! was ur car supercharged? and did u sell it for $5600 WITH the supercharger?? or is that home page not ur's?

I sold 90% of the mods before I sold the car for $5600 and yes the homepage is still mine
Old 04-20-2003, 12:07 PM

www.nasioc.com
www.i-club.com
www.clubwrx.net
www.wrxhackers.com
Old 04-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Cheesing away...

That is one good looking car. Good choice on color.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:05 PM
www.autotalk.com

Very nice car jay! Let the modding begin! ;-)
Old 04-20-2003, 02:37 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I sold 90% of the mods before I sold the car for $5600 and yes the homepage is still mine
haha u had me scared there thought u might have sold it for that WITH the supercharger
Old 04-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Synki

Dave B, why only a catback? Go for the turbo-back. The up-pipe should be the first thing done IMHO.
I plan on buying someone's used stock up-pipe and then I'll gut it. I read about way too many problems with the aftermarket pipes. I want to do as many mods as I can that look stock, but they're not (gutted up-pipe, Cobb ECU). The trick with gutting an up-pipe is that you need to get everything out of it.

I went by the Scooby dealer and they had 10 2003 WRX 5 speed lined up with prices ranging from $22000 to $23000. Most of them had spoilers and upgraded stereos. The only 2004s they had were wagons. I think I still like the 2004 a little more.

Dave
Old 04-20-2003, 03:30 PM

BTW-The Subaru lug pattern is 5x100 vs the Maxima which is 5x114.

Yes, a stock WRX will lose to the new Neon on the highway but given the proper mods, it won't even be a contest (assuming the Neon is stock).

The EVO8 has a big mark-up on them - as much as 7-8K if not more. It's still a DSM to me.
The Cobb reflash is the vheapest of them all. Vishnu wants big $$ for a reflash. The Uni-Chip is a good "set it and forget" mod. I was running a Link ECU and then swapped to a TXS Utec.

The new Neon can hang with an E46 M3 in a straight line if I'm not mistaken. I think it's 108 mph in the 1/4 mile--no DOT approved Maxima or WRX in the world is gonna do 108 in the 1/4 mile. If I'm wrong let's see the timesheet!

Now that the Easter dinner's over with the family, it's time to assume normal playoff position. Me in the Natuzzi watching the Sixers, the g/f watching cable upstairs, telling me at halftime it'd be worth my while to stay upstairs. LET'S GO SIXERS!
Old 04-20-2003, 05:08 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

The new Neon can hang with an E46 M3 in a straight line if I'm not mistaken. I think it's 108 mph in the 1/4 mile--no DOT approved Maxima or WRX in the world is gonna do 108 in the 1/4 mile. If I'm wrong let's see the timesheet!

Now that the Easter dinner's over with the family, it's time to assume normal playoff position. Me in the Natuzzi watching the Sixers, the g/f watching cable upstairs, telling me at halftime it'd be worth my while to stay upstairs. LET'S GO SIXERS!

108 trap?????????????
Old 04-20-2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by nismos14

108 trap?????????????
not unless its modded. An SRT4 wont trap that high, around 100-ish, 14flat. Seen them run at the track I would assume they could clip off a 13.8 or so on a good day, cool day

Eric
Old 04-21-2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Bye bye 96 Maxima Hello 2004 WRX (blue) pics inside

not much tilt on this car either
Old 04-21-2003, 06:45 AM
Blu
the tits

Nice car and color choice
Old 04-21-2003, 08:35 AM

An SRT does not trap 108mph stock. Have you looked at the magazines or even on the SRT board? They trap 100mph~ stock and pulling 14.0's stock. I'm sure there are guys that will/have pulled a 13.9 stock but the car is new and time is needed for perfection.

I know a SRT with a exhaust, boost controller, intake and slicks went 12.9 and its traps were 105/6mph.

When you start modding cars heavily and wanting to be fast, emissions and being legal isn't even a factor anymore.

BTW-My WRX was trapping over 111mph running 16psi. I am not even nearly pushing the limits of my current turbo. Its time for 800CC injectors.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:45 AM
Blu
the tits

An SRT does not trap 108mph stock. Have you looked at the magazines or even on the SRT board? They trap 100mph~ stock and pulling 14.0's stock. I'm sure there are guys that will/have pulled a 13.9 stock but the car is new and time is needed for perfection.

I know a SRT with a exhaust, boost controller, intake and slicks went 12.9 and its traps were 105/6mph.

When you start modding cars heavily and wanting to be fast, emissions and being legal isn't even a factor anymore.

BTW-My WRX was trapping over 111mph running 16psi. I am not even nearly pushing the limits of my current turbo. Its time for 800CC injectors.
111 thats gotta be hittin low 12's
Old 04-21-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by blubyu2k2

111 thats gotta be hittin low 12's
Yep. This is on pump gas and full interior.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Blu
the tits

Yep. This is on pump gas and full interior.
nice
Old 04-21-2003, 09:12 AM

Curious, why not stay with the standard order of operation...

I just ordered, springs, STS, bushings, and ****, turbo timer, BOV and boost controler.

Jay from CT
Getting Intake, exhaust, ECU, (if they make it yet) and UDP, etc...etc...
I wouldn't think a Boost controller would be recommended w/ a standard fuel map on a stock ECU. You'd be better off w/ an A/F controller.
Research into the size and max PSI for stock injectors. THe last thing you'd want is to max out your injectors and really mess something up when you boost.
Congrats on your new purchase..
Be Safe!!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:15 AM

AWWWWW. you got the new one with the blooooooo paint.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Curious, why not stay with the standard order of operation...

Originally posted by PiotrC70

Getting Intake, exhaust, ECU, (if they make it yet) and UDP, etc...etc...
I wouldn't think a Boost controller would be recommended w/ a standard fuel map on a stock ECU. You'd be better off w/ an A/F controller.
Research into the size and max PSI for stock injectors. THe last thing you'd want is to max out your injectors and really mess something up when you boost.
Congrats on your new purchase..
Be Safe!!
I would never go with a manual boost controller (MBC) on a relatively stock WRX. You can get a Cobb reflashed ECU for $400 and it will raise your boost, remap the A/F, extend boost longer in the gears, etc. 1st and 2nd gear acceleration is greatly improved. The big plus is that's invisible to the Subaru dealer scanner. The problem with the MBC is that it introduces some driveability problems and sometimes the MBC aren't terribly reliable in terms of delivering expected boost (spiking, surging).

Dave
Old 04-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Pics and mods? How do you like the car overall? Has it been reliable?

Dave
Old 04-21-2003, 11:51 AM

Pics and mods? How do you like the car overall? Has it been reliable?

Dave
Dave,

PM me your e-mail and I will send pics and specs of everything I currently have running on my car.

I am currently testing a new turbo for the WRX created by Turbo Specialties. We are going to push the limits of it and see what kind of power it can make. We are sure it will produce well over 350awhp on pump gas and close to the 400 mark on C16. Not bad for a turbo that costs less then the IHI series, APS, and PE turbos.

As far as reliable, I have had the car for 1 year now and 11K miles. I am constatnly changes mods on it so I can't say for sure but so far so good. As many times as I have pull parts off the motor, everything seems to be good and a compression test was done and everything is within spec.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:00 PM

As far as the MBC< many guys use it with no problems at all. I would not even consider installing a MBC unless you have a few supporting mods. The only problem with the MBC is partial throttle full boost (PTFB). This is because the stock ECU cannot adjust to it and the fact that the MBC's are nothing but a ball/spring setup. An easy way to fix that problem is to use a bleeder valve as well. Adjust it accordingly and you will not have that problem.

Guys that are spiking are not setting their MBC's up right or they did the 3/16th restrictor mod.

I would also tell you NOT to get at least a CAI. The problem with the CAI are it screws with the MAF signal and cause the engine to run lean on these cars. The intake diameter is changed and the MAF just cant adjust to it. A short ram pod ("Shorty") will not cause this problem. Intake gains are minimal with these cars.

As far as pulleys go, I was running a lighten crank pulley (1.2lbs) and gain no power but also lost no power. What I did notice was increased throttle response.

As far as maxing the stock injectors (make sure they stay under 90% IDC), then can take a decend amount of power. Stock injectors can handle about 250~awhp and then are maxed out. I am currently running the STi (565cc) injectors and I have them maxed at 95% IDC with only 17psi on my current setup.

Also, the stock turbo will not yield anymore gains above 16.5-17psi. You do not want to run more then 17psi. The turbo is way out of its efficientcy (sp??) range. Just take a look at the compressor map for the stock TD04. Guys have pulled high 12's on stock turbo, stock IC, stock injectors, and no Nitrous. There is a guy who just went 12.0 with modded stock turbo, 75 shot, basic bolt-ons, stock IC, but with a dog box. He cut a 1.5 60ft.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

As far as the MBC< many guys use it with no problems at all. I would not even consider installing a MBC unless you have a few supporting mods. The only problem with the MBC is partial throttle full boost (PTFB). This is because the stock ECU cannot adjust to it and the fact that the MBC's are nothing but a ball/spring setup. An easy way to fix that problem is to use a bleeder valve as well. Adjust it accordingly and you will not have that problem.

I would also tell you NOT to get at least a CAI.

As far as pulleys go, I was running a lighten crank pulley (1.2lbs) and gain no power but also lost no power. What I did notice was increased throttle response.

As far as maxing the stock injectors (make sure they stay under 90% IDC), then can take a decend amount of power. Stock injectors can handle about 250~awhp and then are maxed out.

Also, the stock turbo will not yield anymore gains above 16.5-17psi. You do not want to run more then 17psi.

I still like the ECU a little better because everything to tuned for the mild increase in boost.

As I've learned on the Maxima, the stock intake setup just needs a little work to perform. With the WRX, I plan on removing the resonators and then add a K&N panel. That's it.

I don't think I'll do any pullies with the WRX because the install looks like a pain. My wife has a Legacy GT wagon so I'm halfway familiar with the boxer motors.

I plan on having my WRX make ~220awhp so I should safely be in the range of the stock injectors (yes?).

It's my understanding that the Cobb ECU only pushes boost to 16psi and like you said, running anymore than 16psi isn't good for the stock turbo.

Do you think solid 13s@98mph will be attainable with the ECU, revised airbox, gutted uppipe, catback, and better flowing intercooler elbows?

There are about 10 2003 WRXs (blue and silver only) selling for $21500-22500 at a Subaru dealer by my house. It's awefully tempting. The thing I don't like about the 02-03 is the headlights and cheap-o A-pillar antenna.

Dave
Old 04-21-2003, 06:05 PM

Jay its been fun knowing you and goodluck with the car.

ill call you this weekend, lol

...cant wait to drive it

Ant
Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

neon's are just my 2 cent's
Old 04-21-2003, 09:04 PM

Also, the stock turbo will not yield anymore gains above 16.5-17psi. You do not want to run more then 17psi. The turbo is way out of its efficientcy (sp??) range. Just take a look at the compressor map for the stock TD04. Guys have pulled high 12's on stock turbo, stock IC, stock injectors, and no Nitrous. There is a guy who just went 12.0 with modded stock turbo, 75 shot, basic bolt-ons, stock IC, but with a dog box. He cut a 1.5 60ft.

I got a friend with a 02 WRX he had hopped up. Ithink his best was high 12s at 107 or 110 mph with 1.6 60 foot times on street tires. He blew the tranny twice already, but now got a beefier unit in. But now, his motor smokes like crazy. I guess so if you run ungodly amounts of boost thru those motors. He seems like he knew what he was talkina bout too so I think he did all his tuning right.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:29 AM

Oh gee another blue WRX ricer!
NESIC already hates you haha.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 AM

Dave,

Like you mentioned, doing the resonator mod and a panel filter is a good enough intake on the WRX.

The pulleys aren't bad at all. I can do a crank pulley swap in about 10 mins.

220awhp is very easy to do. The stock injector will be fine and will not be at high IDC's. Once you start to push 250awhp, the stock injectors will be maxed.

To be honest, 220awhp is capable of running low 13's. A few guys with a Vishnu Stg0 were running 13.3-13.0's trapping 102-103. I also know a few guys who were running 13.5's all day with a MBC and a panel filter.

Witht he mods you plan on getting, you will def. get 220awhp if not a bit more. A Up-Pipe, Turbo-back, upping the boost, and some fuel management is all that is needed to get 220awhp.

$21500-$22500 is a very good deal for a WRX at this time. When I bought mine, I got the spoiler, extended arm rest, rubber floor mats for $23300 a year ago. I took awhile to talk to the lady down but it worked.

I still like the ECU a little better because everything to tuned for the mild increase in boost.

As I've learned on the Maxima, the stock intake setup just needs a little work to perform. With the WRX, I plan on removing the resonators and then add a K&N panel. That's it.

I don't think I'll do any pullies with the WRX because the install looks like a pain. My wife has a Legacy GT wagon so I'm halfway familiar with the boxer motors.

I plan on having my WRX make ~220awhp so I should safely be in the range of the stock injectors (yes?).

It's my understanding that the Cobb ECU only pushes boost to 16psi and like you said, running anymore than 16psi isn't good for the stock turbo.

Do you think solid 13s@98mph will be attainable with the ECU, revised airbox, gutted uppipe, catback, and better flowing intercooler elbows?

There are about 10 2003 WRXs (blue and silver only) selling for $21500-22500 at a Subaru dealer by my house. It's awefully tempting. The thing I don't like about the 02-03 is the headlights and cheap-o A-pillar antenna.

Dave

Quick Reply: Bye bye 96 Maxima Hello 2004 WRX (blue) pics inside