General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Bye bye 96 Maxima Hello 2004 WRX (blue) pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yea, stock srt-4... dodge prolly made that commercial. i went and test drove a srt and boy are they fast. still a neon, interior wise but totally diff. car drving wise. has a nice loud bov sound like that movie clip.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96max5sp
WRX is still faster C&D I think it was got it to 60 in 5.4sec

who cares about 0-60. I never cared much for the 0-60... 1/4 mile is by far the better comparison.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by 98maxsel
the wrx are nice cars with good off the line performance but the new neon srt-4 are faster in the long run.

check out this little clip.
http://www.heavy-components.net/movieh.wmv
1.21 jigawatts!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

That video is pretty sweet. It's beyond me how Dodge convinced thier lawyers to make something like that (ie the street racing at 100mph against the WRX).

As for the SRT-4, fast car, but it's still a Neon. 20K buys you a potent engine, good seats, and a decent handling chassis. It also buys you Dodge quality, MANUAL rolling down rear windows (good engineering there Dodge), FWD, crappy shifting tranny, horrendous rear wheel gap (5" gap, yes 5" gap in the rear), and 1992 appearance items (the Supra wing, cheesy 17s). Also remember that the SRT-4 is not going to be terribly easy to modify seeing that the turbo housing is built into the exhaust manifold.

For 24K you can get a WRX that is within .1-.2 of second in the 1/4 mile (but 5-6mph slower in the 1/4 mile), has a much better performing and handling chassis (especially with a drop and stickier tires), AWD, better looks (most agree on that), a tried and true motor, an EXTREMELY easy to modify motor, and far better initial and historical quality. Sure, the stock WRX is a bit slower MPH wise in the 1/4 mile than the SRT-4. However a $400 ECU upgrade, $40 in intake work, and $500 catback will EASILY show the higher strung SRT-4 taillights in the 1/4 mile ET (mid to lower 13s) and will match the SRT-4s 100-102MPH.

Dave
Old 05-08-2003, 03:45 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Their really a hideous piece of machinery. And their still using that horrible 4G63 motor, thats only like 15 years old now.
The EVO's aren't THAT bad. Huge fun to drive, basic interior. Still early EVO's (2,3 up to 6.5's) around here running strong and 282lb/ft at 3500 rpm is pretty impressive for a 2l. Its just unfortunate the US EVO8 won't be all that it can be due to its spec. Mitsubishi must think that a previously un-EVO'ed market can/will be duped by the reputation. Bad move.

Age? Well the VQ design is 10 years old already in Japan, and will probably be around for another 10.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
That video is pretty sweet. It's beyond me how Dodge convinced thier lawyers to make something like that (ie the street racing at 100mph against the WRX).

As for the SRT-4, fast car, but it's still a Neon. 20K buys you a potent engine, good seats, and a decent handling chassis. It also buys you Dodge quality, MANUAL rolling down rear windows (good engineering there Dodge), FWD, crappy shifting tranny, horrendous rear wheel gap (5" gap, yes 5" gap in the rear), and 1992 appearance items (the Supra wing, cheesy 17s). Also remember that the SRT-4 is not going to be terribly easy to modify seeing that the turbo housing is built into the exhaust manifold.

For 24K you can get a WRX that is within .1-.2 of second in the 1/4 mile (but 5-6mph slower in the 1/4 mile), has a much better performing and handling chassis (especially with a drop and stickier tires), AWD, better looks (most agree on that), a tried and true motor, an EXTREMELY easy to modify motor, and far better initial and historical quality. Sure, the stock WRX is a bit slower MPH wise in the 1/4 mile than the SRT-4. However a $400 ECU upgrade, $40 in intake work, and $500 catback will EASILY show the higher strung SRT-4 taillights in the 1/4 mile ET (mid to lower 13s) and will match the SRT-4s 100-102MPH.

Dave

I agree with you 100%
Old 05-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by nymjayjay

I agree with you 100%
So, you still enjoying the WRX? My buddy just bought one tonight and I got to drive it. Even with a full tank of gas, 180lb driver, 225lb passenger, and 80 miles on the motor, the WRX felt very strong. I really didn't think the lack of power below 3000rpms is huge deal at all. The only thing that sucks is that you need to downshift more often to get into the power. It's not that big of deal. As of right now, my Maxima is for sale. One 45 minute test drive is all it took.

Dave
Old 05-13-2003, 12:47 AM

My .02:

AWD and turbo's are fun but I have owned 2 AWD and turbo vehicles and at about 275-300 crank hp I averaged 1 clutch swap per year at $750 parts and labor per episode (I used to launch well over 5 grand several times a month). However that got old after 5 years. So I'm out of AWD for awhile. The WRX is a performance bargain and all but in order to run the low 13 second 1/4 mile times you will have to abuse the transmission and it WILL be a liability unless you plan on forking out 35k for an STi. Also the top end on the regular WRX's are hideous if you're into interstate racing and Vishnu Stage 1 which costs $2495 makes ~218 wheel hp which an '02-'03 Maxima can make with only an intake and exhuast.

The SRT-4 would probably be my choice b/c with a wheel/tire swap, a lowering kit, intake, boost control and exhuast you would be looking good and have a much better torque curve than a 2L boxer motor for the same money although your interior would still look like a rental...compromises.

The Lancer EVO ran a 13.08 1/4 mile in Motor Trend and Vishnu just came out with its first stage which netted %15 increase in power (310 crank hp) for $1500. It amazes me the EVO times are quicker than the STi even though the STi is making 29 more horses!

But what really matters is there is so much to choose from now compared to 5 years ago so its all good.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:50 AM

So, you still enjoying the WRX? My buddy just bought one tonight and I got to drive it. Even with a full tank of gas, 180lb driver, 225lb passenger, and 80 miles on the motor, the WRX felt very strong. I really didn't think the lack of power below 3000rpms is huge deal at all. The only thing that sucks is that you need to downshift more often to get into the power. It's not that big of deal. As of right now, my Maxima is for sale. One 45 minute test drive is all it took.

Dave

that is the same way I felt about the car after I test drove one. The power that it had vs. the maxima was awesome. Well let me know if and when you decide to get a WRX and good luck selling your maxima
Old 05-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ
My .02:

AWD and turbo's are fun but I have owned 2 AWD and turbo vehicles and at about 275-300 crank hp I averaged 1 clutch swap per year at $750 parts and labor per episode (I used to launch well over 5 grand several times a month). However that got old after 5 years. So I'm out of AWD for awhile. The WRX is a performance bargain and all but in order to run the low 13 second 1/4 mile times you will have to abuse the transmission and it WILL be a liability unless you plan on forking out 35k for an STi. Also the top end on the regular WRX's are hideous if you're into interstate racing and Vishnu Stage 1 which costs $2495 makes ~218 wheel hp which an '02-'03 Maxima can make with only an intake and exhuast.

The SRT-4 would probably be my choice b/c with a wheel/tire swap, a lowering kit, intake, boost control and exhuast you would be looking good and have a much better torque curve than a 2L boxer motor for the same money although your interior would still look like a rental...compromises.

The Lancer EVO ran a 13.08 1/4 mile in Motor Trend and Vishnu just came out with its first stage which netted %15 increase in power (310 crank hp) for $1500. It amazes me the EVO times are quicker than the STi even though the STi is making 29 more horses!

But what really matters is there is so much to choose from now compared to 5 years ago so its all good.
Totally agree with you on the all wheel drive affecting highway performance, the launches are awesome but the highway fun is not there.

The SRT-4 is a great deal but I wish they would have called it somthing new instead of a neon (sales would have been much better) and put rear wheel drive on it (that proably would have meant higher costs though), it does remind of the old GLHS Omni's which I did like. I really wish they would have not fused the turbo and exhaust manifold together, but I have heard of some SRT-4 making 400 hp at the wheels with modifications over at the SRT-4 boards. You can't beat the price of that car though.

The Motortrend times for the EVO vs STI were incorrect. The EVO and STI were run at two different times, two different tracks, in two different conditions, even motortrend in that article admits that the track was stickier where they ran the EVO. Also, the STI they used was brand new while the EVO had already been broken in. Car and Driver stats are posted at the bottom. Automobiles were close to theirs as well, putting the STI ahead.

Here are some reasons that I would choose the STI over the EVO.

The STI is running 14.5 lbs of boost, while the EVO is running 18.9 lbs, this leaves more room for boost in the STI especially with the 8.5:1 compression ratio.

The STI has a six speed, this means that you will be faster on the highway with shorter gears, you can tell how big of a difference this makes when you look at the 0-130 marks for both cars.

Most importantly the STI has red/clear tails instead of altezzas

But I agree with you that it is just exciting to have turbo cars back!!

Performance Data:

- STi / EVO

0-60 - 4.6 / 5.0

0-100 - 12.4 / 13.5

0-130 - 24.5 / 28.5

1/4 mile - 13.2@103 / 13.6@101

5-60 street start - 5.8 / 6.7

top gear 30-50 - 10.9 / 11.7

top gear 50-70 - 8.1 / 8.5

top speed - 145 gov. / 156 redline

braking 70-0 - 166' / 157'

1.1 mi. course lap time/mph - 1:04.34/61.5 / 1:04.18/61.7

0.9 mi. off road lap time/mph - 48.89/66.3 / 48.62/66.6

roadholding 300' pad, g - 0.90 / 0.90
emergency land change maneuver mph - 72.5 / 71.5

My next car with either be an STI or 03 Cobra
Old 05-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Totally agree with you on the all wheel drive affecting highway performance, the launches are awesome but the highway fun is not there.

I'll tell you what, I took that WRX from 50-85mph in 3rd gear and it felt pretty damn good. It's not quite the frenzy my car has in that kind of acceleration run, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Remember, this is with a motor with only 80 miles, nearly a full tank of gas, and a 225lb passenger. I noticed the motor was very quiet during the 50-85mph run.

I'm still confused by how people say the stock WRX lacks any topend when most of them get 93-94mph in the 1/4 mile which rivals the 5 speed 5th gen (supposedly a topend machine).

Dave
Old 05-13-2003, 03:21 PM
Handsome

I'll tell you what, I took that WRX from 50-85mph in 3rd gear and it felt pretty damn good. It's not quite the frenzy my car has in that kind of acceleration run, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Remember, this is with a motor with only 80 miles, nearly a full tank of gas, and a 225lb passenger. I noticed the motor was very quiet during the 50-85mph run.

I'm still confused by how people say the stock WRX lacks any topend when most of them get 93-94mph in the 1/4 mile which rivals the 5 speed 5th gen (supposedly a topend machine).

Dave
Some of the guy's over @ clubWRX are talking about how their mildly modified WRX's get taken by stock altimas on the highway.

I wasn't knocking the WRX just saying that any all wheel drive will lose in the highend, the WRX guy's talk inparticular about 4th gear, you can really tell this from the video I posted where it races a neon. I would chose a WRX over a neon but to get it to perform as well perspectivly as it does at lower speeds does take some work.

I am stuck between an 03 Cobra and STI, the only reason I would take the cobra over the STI is because of the highway performance, but I have not decided, both are great cars.

Congrats again on a great car!!
Old 05-13-2003, 08:09 PM

Some of the guy's over @ clubWRX are talking about how their mildly modified WRX's get taken by stock altimas on the highway.

I wasn't knocking the WRX just saying that any all wheel drive will lose in the highend, the WRX guy's talk inparticular about 4th gear, you can really tell this from the video I posted where it races a neon. I would chose a WRX over a neon but to get it to perform as well perspectivly as it does at lower speeds does take some work.

I am stuck between an 03 Cobra and STI, the only reason I would take the cobra over the STI is because of the highway performance, but I have not decided, both are great cars.

Congrats again on a great car!!

psssssssssssssssst STI > Cobra

thanks man
Old 05-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, that's totally believable. The 3.5 VQ is definately a strong highway runner. Strong, torque-rich motors typically have better 80+mph topend. I'll definately be test driving a 6 speed G35 sedan before buying a WRX. I really need to see if I prefer a bit more luxury and better OEM performance over a higher strung turbo 4. Both cars would be ideal for the kind of racing I plan on doing (1/4 mile, SCCA). If I go for the G35 I'll have to wait another 6 months or so.

Dave
Old 05-13-2003, 09:19 PM

psssssssssssssssst STI > Cobra

thanks man
riiiight. only in the rain

but i care for ford's so i'd still take an STI over a cobra
Old 05-13-2003, 11:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Street Reeper

The SRT-4 is a great deal but I wish they would have called it somthing new instead of a neon (sales would have been much better) and put rear wheel drive on it (that proably would have meant higher costs though), it does remind of the old GLHS Omni's which I did like. I really wish they would have not fused the turbo and exhaust manifold together, but I have heard of some SRT-4 making 400 hp at the wheels with modifications over at the SRT-4 boards. You can't beat the price of that car though.

Rear wheel drive would've been a nice addition to the SRT4. And, it does look alittle too much like a Neon for my taste too, but I'll wait till I see one in person to rule it out.

The Motortrend times for the EVO vs STI were incorrect. The EVO and STI were run at two different times, two different tracks, in two different conditions, even motortrend in that article admits that the track was stickier where they ran the EVO. Also, the STI they used was brand new while the EVO had already been broken in.

Didn't know that...

[B]
Here are some reasons that I would choose the STI over the EVO.

The STI is running 14.5 lbs of boost, while the EVO is running 18.9 lbs, this leaves more room for boost in the STI especially with the 8.5:1 compression ratio. [B]

Ultimately, the displacement advantage of the WRX will rule. And what a street weapon it will be! I wish I could afford the $35,000 car b/c once Vishnu is done with it Z06's will be but a spec in the rearview. However it would be nice to have a stereo included for that price too.

Most importantly the STI has red/clear tails instead of altezzas

Heh, yeah but you can swap those out for reds. And it might make those domestic car owners hate you even more P

Well if you get the STi, be sure and send me some pictures!

Jesse
Old 05-14-2003, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
riiiight. only in the rain

but i care for ford's so i'd still take an STI over a cobra

I was talking about the BOV but are you saying the Cobra will take the STI?
Old 05-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Blu
the tits

It would be close at the track but from a roll the cobra will hand a STI its *** bad...
Old 05-14-2003, 10:14 AM

I must be the only one that thinks his car sucks a$$. I would never trade my max for that.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:17 AM
Handsome

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95
I must be the only one that thinks his car sucks a$$. I would never trade my max for that.
Who's, and what car?
Old 05-14-2003, 10:20 AM

the WRX
Old 05-14-2003, 11:55 AM

are you kidding me? theres a guy locally that ran an 11.9 with only a K&N filter. most people are getting mid-low 12s but there are SEVERAL running high 11's stock or very close to it.

like i said, the STI would only win when it comes down to handling...
Old 05-14-2003, 07:42 PM

are you kidding me? theres a guy locally that ran an 11.9 with only a K&N filter. most people are getting mid-low 12s but there are SEVERAL running high 11's stock or very close to it.

like i said, the STI would only win when it comes down to handling...

I didnt know the Cobra was that fast.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Good God!!! Who ran that in their mostly stock Cobra at KCIR? I know there's one guy running his 03 CObra with a Lightning pulley and exhaust and he's pulling mid 12s on the drag radials. 11.9s with just a K&N filter would probably be a record for these cars.

Dave
Old 05-14-2003, 08:52 PM

Good God!!! Who ran that in their mostly stock Cobra at KCIR? I know there's one guy running his 03 CObra with a Lightning pulley and exhaust and he's pulling mid 12s on the drag radials. 11.9s with just a K&N filter would probably be a record for these cars.

Dave
it wasn't at KCIR, the guy just lives close by...
i think he busted a few low 12s at kcir

those cobras lay down a LOTTTT of power.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Handsome

those cobras lay down a LOTTTT of power.
My next car I hope will be a sonic blue 03 cobra

Old 05-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My next car I hope will be a sonic blue 03 cobra

I'll take mine in mineral gray, no spoiler please.

Dave
Old 05-15-2003, 04:42 AM

I would still take the STI over the cobra because there is just so much more moding potential. You can have alot more fun with the STI then the cobra in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:36 AM

I would still take the STI over the cobra because there is just so much more moding potential. You can have alot more fun with the STI then the cobra in my opinion.
how is there more modding potential??? you have any idea how many upgrades there are for that cobra? kenne bell makes upgraded blowers, there all kinds of intake,exhausts, pulleys, you name it. in the end, it would take a lot more money to make an STI run with the new cobra.

Trevor

p.s. i talked to a friend who is friend's with that guy that ran the 11 sec pass. it was actually an 11.74 and he had intake and exhaust, thats it. now he has dif pullies and other stuff and is hoping for low 11s or high 10s
Old 05-15-2003, 01:24 PM

My teacher has a black 03 Cobra and its fast as crap. If I'm not mistaken the 03 is the only one to come stock w/ a SC and it has about 390hp.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 PM

these Cobra are still blowing my mind on how fast they are and how much HP they have. What are the stats on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

these Cobra are still blowing my mind on how fast they are and how much HP they have. What are the stats on the 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
The more mainstream mags are getting 12.7-13.0@110-112mph with 0-60 in the mid 4 second range. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords (MM&FF) got somewhere around a 12.2@115mph with drag radials, cold air, and prepped track. Keep in mind these are the same guys that got a 12.8 out of a stock LS1 Z28 and a 14.9 out of a 99 Mustang V6.

The 03 Cobra is a cast iron block DOHC 4.6 with an intercooled roots blower. It's underrated at 390hp (360rwhp). A stock Lightning pulley and X-pipe and you're looking at around 400rwhp. It's a beast for sure. $34K MSRP.

Handling wise, the 03 Cobra is pretty good, but it's not in the same league as the STi. The extra 200lbs for the iron block and SC make the 3700lb Cobra a bit nose heavy. The mags refer to the Cobra as more of a "GT" car than a sports car like the Z06 Corvette.

The Z06 and Cobra are very close in terms of 0-110 acceleration (Z06 is MUCH easier to launch), but after 110mph, the Z06s far better aerodynamics come into play. The difference in 0-130mph acceleration between the Z06 and Cobra is about 3 seconds favoring the Z06!!!!

Dave
Old 05-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Handsome

The more mainstream mags are getting 12.7-13.0@110-112mph with 0-60 in the mid 4 second range. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords (MM&FF) got somewhere around a 12.2@115mph with drag radials, cold air, and prepped track. Keep in mind these are the same guys that got a 12.8 out of a stock LS1 Z28 and a 14.9 out of a 99 Mustang V6.

The 03 Cobra is a cast iron block DOHC 4.6 with an intercooled roots blower. It's underrated at 390hp (360rwhp). A stock Lightning pulley and X-pipe and you're looking at around 400rwhp. It's a beast for sure. $34K MSRP.

Handling wise, the 03 Cobra is pretty good, but it's not in the same league as the STi. The extra 200lbs for the iron block and SC make the 3700lb Cobra a bit nose heavy. The mags refer to the Cobra as more of a "GT" car than a sports car like the Z06 Corvette.

The Z06 and Cobra are very close in terms of 0-110 acceleration (Z06 is MUCH easier to launch), but after 110mph, the Z06s far better aerodynamics come into play. The difference in 0-130mph acceleration between the Z06 and Cobra is about 3 seconds favoring the Z06!!!!

Dave
You are exactly right about the power of the cobra, and the real issue it has is getting off the line when compared to a Z06, but it does cost around 10,000 less so I figure that issue could be cleared up.

Here is an 03 cobra vs an 01 Z06, can anyone tell me what happens, I do not have the software to view it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/~blade...Vs_2001Z06.wmv
Old 05-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Handsome

This is posted in the OT section, but I thought I would post it here too for those who do not have access.

All of this can be found in the new muscle mustanges and fast fords, I was very impressed at the modification potential of these cars.

- Dyno Results of an 03 Cobra

Modifications: Ford Racing Cat-Back Exhaust with incorporated X-Pipe, K&N replacement filter.

Results: 417 rear wheel hp

- Dyno Results of the same 03 Cobra with the addition of the following mods

Modifications: switch the 3.5 SC pulley for a 3.0 (increased boost from 8.6 to 11.9)

Results: 454 rear wheel hp

- Dyno Results of the same 03 Cobra with the addition of the following mods

Modifications: Kenne Bell CAI (increased Boost from 11.9 to 12.2)

Results: 473 rear wheel hp

-1/4 mile results

03 Cobra (automagic)

Modifications: (Transmission) Level 10 Transmission, manual valve body , lock up converter, 3.73 geared

(Engine) Single Oval Throttle Body, Metco Pulleys (which all together produce an amazing 32 psi of boost) Billet Flow idler pulley’s to ensure the belts don’t slip, Vortech after cooler filled with ice and water that is pumped through the factory intercooler, Diablo Computer Chip, Krook Headers, X-pipe, cat-back exhaust, bypassed power stearing.

(Others) Mickey Thompson Street Tires, sub frame connectors,

First run: 11.4 @ 127.61; 1.91-60
Second Run: 11.19 at 128.66; 1.87-60
Third Run (added an 80 horse shot of nitrous) 10.86 @ 128.79; 1.71 - 60

-03 Cobra six speed convertible

Modifications: Kooks Headers JDM (Jim D Amore Motorsports) X-pipe, Cat-Back Exhaust, single blade throttle body and pulley system (upper pulley 2.8, lower 4.16, this increased boost to 20psi) 50 pound MSD fuel injectors, JDM mass air meter, (these mods delivered 508 rear wheel hp!! And 592 lbs of torque.

Transmission: Center Force Clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter.

Others: M&H street tires on Weld wheels.

First run: 11.48 @ 123.19; 1.82 – 60
Second Run: 11.278 @ 123.6; 1.78 - 60
Old 05-17-2003, 10:40 AM

You are exactly right about the power of the cobra, and the real issue it has is getting off the line when compared to a Z06, but it does cost around 10,000 less so I figure that issue could be cleared up.

Here is an 03 cobra vs an 01 Z06, can anyone tell me what happens, I do not have the software to view it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/~blade...Vs_2001Z06.wmv
the cobra put several car lengthes on the vette from a roll. cobra had several mods whereas the vette only had a K&N.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:57 PM

Congrats on your scooby purchase! You on nasioc and the other suby boards? They are very helpful. I just picked up a 00 2.5rs. She'll be boosted before July though

Old 05-17-2003, 02:58 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

jesus... one of those never dying threads... lol
Old 05-17-2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Congrats on your scooby purchase! You on nasioc and the other suby boards? They are very helpful. I just picked up a 00 2.5rs. She'll be boosted before July though

I am on nasioc.com and clubwrx.net and they are very helpful sites. My name is Jay04WRX on there.....
Old 05-17-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
jesus... one of those never dying threads... lol

kind of like a never ending slurpie

j/p
Old 05-17-2003, 03:37 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

tis a squishie... get it straight lol

Quick Reply: Bye bye 96 Maxima Hello 2004 WRX (blue) pics inside