General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tail Lens Removal & Painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 02:06 PM

So, I've been hearing about this spray paint specifically designed for automotive lights. I have a 96 GLE, in the dark metallic green, and I just don't like the contrast between the dark color of the car, and the bright red of the tails. I thought maybe using the smoke tail lens paint, or smoke tail lens would cut down on the contrast. So my questions are as follows: Do I need to remove the tail lenses before painting...or can I just use the "tape and cover" method? If I do need to remove the tails, could someone give me some tips so I don't break anything? Also, is this even worth the time? I haven't seen any smoke tail pictures, but while searching FIRST, I found fog lights painted with the same stuff (www.autodynamic.com) And what's the difference between the tail lens PAINT or FILM? Any help would be appreciated.

Kyle

so many questions
Old 01-21-2001, 06:47 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm assuming you saw my yellow painted foglights. I also have my tails smoked out with the same paint. The stuff works really well and doesn't scratch off. You know where to get the stuff.

I suggest you remove your tails to reduce overspray. The tails are simply held in with a couple hex bolts. You'll then need to pry the tails lights out because they are glued in with black sticky epoxy. The stuff is real messy. After their out, clean the tails up, and then paint with a coat or two of paint. Don't go crazy with the paint. Let them dry for atleast a solid hour and reinstall. You won't believe the difference. Let's just say my car is ALL BLACK. Black car, tinted, no emblems, smoked out tails. Next is powercoating my K1 wheels.

Dave
Old 01-21-2001, 07:03 PM

Jealousy

Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard all about the spray, but I haven't seen it yet. If you have pictures I'd love to see them! That, and the shaved emblems. I've been thinking about that, but....no surprise....I'm unfamiliar with that too. Pictures would be great, and a brief overview of shaving emblems would help. Thanks again.

Kyle
Old 01-22-2001, 10:45 AM

Sup Kyle! Check out Dave B.'s Homepage, he's got some pics.
As for removing the emblems, just heat them up with a heat gun then pull em off with your hand. Clean off the glue with some grease&tar remover.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:53 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I don't have any good pics of my taillights because I sold my old laptop and it had my pics on it. The tails are pretty dark, but you can still make out the outline of the turn signal, reverse light, and brake light. This was with two light coats of paint. The paint is translucent and nearly 95% of the light still shines thru (kinda like the tails on a 93-96 RX-7 or VW GTI). This paint isn't like the GTS covers that block 50% of your light. The paint is semi-glossy, but you could make it really glossy with some automotive gloss spray. Hope this helps.

Dave