General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

just raced a new E430...long

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 10:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i was just on my way home on 190 and some kid in a new mercedes E430 blows by going pretty fast in the next lane, but then he slows down and waits for me. so i slowly pull up to him going about 60mph. when i'm one car behind him he takes off and pulls one car on me almost immediately cuz i'm already in 3rd gear. so he's 2 cars ahead of me now and it stays that way until the latter half of my 4th gear and then i start SLOWLY creeping on him. we're going like 110mph at this point so i use my switch and turn off my governor and the speedo and tach go off too(some of you know what i'm talking about). so now i'm relying on my shift light to tell me when to shift - 6200rpm. i use all of 4th gear up to where the shift light goes on, i shift to 5th, and all this time i'm pulling on him really slowly. i have no idea how fast i was going but i know when i hit 6200rpm in 5th gear i had one car length on him. i cut it off at this point and flipped the switch to turn the governor back on. so the governor kicks in and he shoots by me. end of story. no, i wasn't on the bottle, ran him all motor. conclusion: that's a really fast car. roadkill? nah.
Old 01-23-2001, 10:58 PM

Sounds like you were risking your life there!
Old 01-24-2001, 12:10 AM

Governer????

I have a 97 SE stick, and I've had the thing well into the triple digit speeds... not once have I had any governer kick in. Had it up to 135.
Old 01-24-2001, 03:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

SX7R:
275 Horse Power. What do you expect. =) But it says a lot for your car that you were able to pull on him. Good kill. I'd like to know more about your "governer switch". I have an SE and don't have to worry about it. But I'm curious.

ericdwong:
sx7r has a 5-speed GXE. Its not an SE.

ZuM
Old 01-24-2001, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
SX7R:
275 Horse Power. What do you expect. =) But it says a lot for your car that you were able to pull on him. Good kill. I'd like to know more about your "governer switch". I have an SE and don't have to worry about it. But I'm curious.

ericdwong:

ZuM
there's 3 wiring harnesses on the back of the gauge cluster. on the one furthest to the right, there's one wire that you can cut and put a switch on it. it's a green wire. when you flip the switch to disconnect, you turn off power to the gauge cluster and for some reason the governor is disabled. the downfall is that there's some built in protection to guard against this and you can only use it for a short period of time because when the switch is on the alternator does not generate any electricity and the car is just running off the battery. but it serves my purpose, i rarely go above 118 anyway. =)
Old 01-24-2001, 07:06 AM

The Benz probably had a limiter at 130 MPH, so you probably caught up and took him around then. Those E430s go real fast to 130 and then stop right there. Now, if you raced an E430 Sport, you would have never caught him. The E430 Sport comes stanadrd with W rated tires, and hence, no need for a limiter.

DW

Originally posted by sx7r
i was just on my way home on 190 and some kid in a new mercedes E430 blows by going pretty fast in the next lane, but then he slows down and waits for me. so i slowly pull up to him going about 60mph. when i'm one car behind him he takes off and pulls one car on me almost immediately cuz i'm already in 3rd gear. so he's 2 cars ahead of me now and it stays that way until the latter half of my 4th gear and then i start SLOWLY creeping on him. we're going like 110mph at this point so i use my switch and turn off my governor and the speedo and tach go off too(some of you know what i'm talking about). so now i'm relying on my shift light to tell me when to shift - 6200rpm. i use all of 4th gear up to where the shift light goes on, i shift to 5th, and all this time i'm pulling on him really slowly. i have no idea how fast i was going but i know when i hit 6200rpm in 5th gear i had one car length on him. i cut it off at this point and flipped the switch to turn the governor back on. so the governor kicks in and he shoots by me. end of story. no, i wasn't on the bottle, ran him all motor. conclusion: that's a really fast car. roadkill? nah.
Old 01-24-2001, 07:52 AM

Dude, I heard 190 is a cop fest.

No radar’s gonna save you at 130.

Old 01-24-2001, 08:35 AM

Re: 190

Originally posted by Adboy

Yea, but how the hell is a cop gonna catch you? At 130 its gonna take him a good 20 seconds to even match your speed, let alone overtake you. If he has no description of vehicle, you're home free. However, if he has you on radio, you're screwed.

Other question, why does the SE not have a limiter? It came with H rated 215 55 16s... this is the only reason I can think of.
Old 01-24-2001, 08:49 AM

Re: 190

Originally posted by Adboy

if i see a cop going that speed, i don't intend to wait around for him to arrest me. that's when i hit the squeeze and bid him farewell.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:31 AM

Wow, that sounds like a pretty good mod. But running on just battery can't be good. I think you should save up for a ECU..

ZuM

Originally posted by sx7r
Originally posted by ZuMBLe
SX7R:

ericdwong:

ZuM
there's 3 wiring harnesses on the back of the gauge cluster. on the one furthest to the right, there's one wire that you can cut and put a switch on it. it's a green wire. when you flip the switch to disconnect, you turn off power to the gauge cluster and for some reason the governor is disabled. the downfall is that there's some built in protection to guard against this and you can only use it for a short period of time because when the switch is on the alternator does not generate any electricity and the car is just running off the battery. but it serves my purpose, i rarely go above 118 anyway. =)
Old 01-24-2001, 09:34 AM

Re: Re: 190

THe SE came with H-Rated tires. Instead of S-Rated. So the car can go to 130+.

ZuM

Originally posted by ericdwong

Other question, why does the SE not have a limiter? It came with H rated 215 55 16s... this is the only reason I can think of. [/I]