General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Blew my 5 spd...... :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 09:39 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

A hipo clutch will only ALLOW YOU to 'break' a weak tranny.

Slipping (wasted energy) buffers the tranny, keeping it less stressed.

Alfonso, did you get a hold of Jimmy? Have you check into the Phantom Grip LSD device? You can be our guinea pig!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:55 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm definately not risking it and sticking to OEM.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:09 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Craig Mack

Is this when you try to engage into first w/o pressing the gas pedal? This is normal with the ACT's. If you engage without any gas feedback, the dash and gauges will shake pretty wildly, you gotta revv to 1500rpm to smoothly engage. It's all part of the hard clamping force, and is normal.
Actually it happens in the mornings when the car is cold. That's pretty damn ghetto tho to have it make rattling sounds and it's considered "normal" ...

but yeah, my car recently started doing that, it didn't do that before. *******it my exedy clutch is taking forever to come in, i wanna fix this damn thing all together now.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:48 AM

i have spoken to a few people on the subject before, when i was going to do a tranny swap, and found that like many people are saying..... if you are not boosted or running nitrous then there is no need for a clutch with the holding power of ACT. i would advise anyone not boosted to just run with the stock clutch, unless your car is like neals or something. theres just really no need for it, and it very well may be hurting your tranny because the clutch is looking to make use of that extra torque, but if its not there your tranny is actually getting abused.

craigmack: GM trannies are built with better gearing (especially 1st gear, but they are no more reliable than ours. my buddy with a 2k SS just blew his 2nd trans, because he has an obsession with down shifting to 2nd and then flooring it. (hes auto) and shifts manually all the time.

also, do anyone ever think about the fact that when your driving and you want some extra power, you downshift into 3RD and with the act clutch grabbing it so hard its probly real hard on the tranny. not positive but something to think about
Old 05-17-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

Na, you didn't hurt my feelings.

I really don't see your rational in the first paragraph. You're saying people should be completely fine having aftermarket parts destroy expensive trannies? "Yeah, WHATEVER!!!! (in the voice of that song out right now).

I'm going to have to explain some things. Guys that run nitrous, SCs, and turbos really need to run heavier duty clutches simply because they're pushing a ton more torque. As most of us know, clutches are rated in torque, not HP. With the heavier duty clutch comes the chance to break things a lot easier. Many of the boosted guys DO NOT shift hard nor launch terribly hard. From what I've heard from Mardigras, he does complete lift throttle slow shifts. He launches hard which is risky, but people blowing 1st is pretty rare so he risks it. 3rd and 4th gear seem to be the weakest judging from Org. 5th is probably just as easy to blow, but banging a 4-5 shift is quite rare seeing most of us stop at the top of 3rd. SR20DN blew his tranny probably because he was pushing an extra 150fwtq. Yes, that will blow things regardless of the clutch. It's a risk you take.

Running a heavy duty clutch on a NA Maxima makes absolutely no sense to me. It doesn't improve your times and it sure as hell doesn't improve driveability. You've got to admit that there is a strong coorelation between the ACT clutch and blown trannies. I don't blame the manufactuar, I blame the owner for pushing the car too hard with something that's known to break things.

Dave

Dave-
I could have sworn you were running a act clutch? Wow reading this thread really is going to make me rethink my driving styles. After I got my ACT,I was getting third gear rubber all the time. This was while I was NA. Now that Im boosted I can get 4th gear rubber, and spin the tires at 70 I think im going to try to go little easier in the future!
Old 05-18-2003, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i think everyone is going a little overboard about the act and especially the comments about "don't get an act if you're not boosted". I got m act after my stock clutch went a 90k. as far as i'm concerned the act is the best mod i made to my car. i'm not boosted... just the usual bolt on's and let me tell you, my car became a completely new vehicle once the act was dropped in.
now... why did my tranny fail? multiple reasons. i'm not saying the act didn't HELP it, but the tranny was weak to begin with (like chunger said). I got the car at 36k miles and although i doubt it was "abused" by the previous owner, who knows how they drove it. add to that the fact that i learned stick on this car - so god knows what kind of punishment i doled out to the car when first driving it. and 3rd... i run my car hard. all this added up says that it isn't just the act's fault. and let me ask this... if it was the clutch why on god's earth arent' every boosted maxima with act blowing their tranny? i mean, if a na car with the clutch can blow it, surely 100hp (and the driving that comes with it) should only speed things up no?
Old 05-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Why? Because the number of SC Maximas with ACTs compared to NA Maximas with ACT is very small in comparison. Anyways, most of the SC guys with ACTs know better than to slam the gears hard because they know what can happen. I'm not saying you can't blow a tranny with the stock clutch (I'm talking about blowing up 3/4 gears), but it's very rare in comparison to how many trannys were lost when running ACTs.

Dave
Old 05-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have to agree with you on this comment with the boosted crowd with ACTs' and not slamming on the gas etc.. He is very correct we can t do that we will sit there and spin for life or crack a tranny case.

But it all points back towards the drivers Naturally Aspirated guys, how they drive will determine how long their trannies last. They punch it like they stole the car they break the tranny. They happen to have a clutch that clamps hard they break the car. Just cause the car has 190HP stock does not mean it does not have sufficient torque to break the tranny.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:06 PM

I think everybody knows what I'm gonna say about this thread....
Old 05-18-2003, 05:15 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by ericdwong
I think everybody knows what I'm gonna say about this thread....
"i love the 4th gen tranny"
Old 05-19-2003, 02:27 AM

the ACT has such a heavy pedal feel to it. something i don't like considering i double clutch/matchrev every downshift. does anyone here know if a 240sx clutch is identical to the maxima clutch? i got a SPEC stage 3 clutch for my 240sx. it's basically a 4 puck clutch with springs. much more liveable than an ACT in theory. however, the clutch is still not installed so we'll have to wait to see how it feels in day to day driving. maybe SPEC has an application for maximas. i heard they're very liveable clutches.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:41 PM
living out of a maxima...

So in summary...

If you're nice to your transmission, it will last a long time.

If you pound on your transmission, you will blow gears. If you have an aftermarket clutch and pound the trans, you will blow gears quickly.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:49 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Revv Matching is also 10 times better on the transmission then just dropping it into gear and popping the clutch. You won't get the initial "pow" if you revv match, but it also takes away all that stress you get when you don't revv match. I used to just drop the clutch into gear without revving up, but the initial "pow" isn't worth a broken gear.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:25 PM
Sports Button FTW

i heard STS kills syncro's if you adjust it all the way...i dont know jack, just thought i point out that info i heard and see if it helps in determining the reason for the failure of your tranny. I would hope its not the ACt clutch because i plan to get another one one day and my friend has it and doesnt have any problems....
Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Lightly modded

Originally posted by meccanoble
i heard STS kills syncro's if you adjust it all the way...i dont know jack, just thought i point out that info i heard and see if it helps in determining the reason for the failure of your tranny. I would hope its not the ACt clutch because i plan to get another one one day and my friend has it and doesnt have any problems....
can anybody shed some light on this idea?