General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Whining Max

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2001 | 11:58 PM

My Maxima is whining all the time. The car whines at idle and gets lounder under accerleration. I brought it to Nissan and they said the alternator tested out fine. I also noticed that when I acclerate my headlights dim so something is draining my power. I need some maxima.org help with this one. Thanks
Old 01-25-2001 | 02:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Might want to take it to some other dealership and have the alternator checked. You have a 97. 97s have been known to have alternator problems. The first dealership I took it to. They said it was fine. They charged me for belt adjustment. The sound wasn't as loud after that. Months later. My alternator burst into flames.

ZuM
Old 01-25-2001 | 02:24 AM
2FAST4U

Originally posted by black97max
My Maxima is whining all the time. The car whines at idle and gets lounder under accerleration. I brought it to Nissan and they said the alternator tested out fine. I also noticed that when I acclerate my headlights dim so something is draining my power. I need some maxima.org help with this one. Thanks

Okay......so you say your Maxima is "whining" all the time...even at idle. I figure you mean it "whines" even when it is at a stand still (park/neutral)and the noise is coming from under the hood. If this is the case than I suggest you try this little trick: take a tube of some sort,
preferably plastic or rubber (hell a broom handle will even work) about 3 feet in length, start your engine and open the hood.....place the tube on the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, air conditioning unit, etc.(one at a time of course )and the other end on your ear. This is a crude version of a mechanics stethescope (you know...like a doctor uses). You will know when you have found the culprit by the change in sound. Also shut her down and check the tension on any and all belts. Also take your battery somewhere to be checked as it may be going bad and causing unnecessary strain on your alternator. Good Luck!