General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What do you guys think of that Durashine protectant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2001, 08:47 AM
RussMaxManiac

I just saw all this advertising info, shows it protect the car from a laser that actually burns through metal, etc, wonder if it really works like that even though they showed it on tv. Hmmm

Old 01-28-2001, 11:11 AM

Wait, is this that stupid wash on wash off in 3 minutes car wash/wax? If it is, do you really think a thin coat of wax like that will protect your car at all?

The way I see it, the harder it is to wax on and wax off a given wax, the better it will protect. For example, liquid waxes are easy to use, but if you want super protection, nothing beats good old Carnuba Paste Wax (that can of solid wax).

Old 01-28-2001, 11:27 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Eric L.
Wait, is this that stupid wash on wash off in 3 minutes car wash/wax? If it is, do you really think a thin coat of wax like that will protect your car at all?

The way I see it, the harder it is to wax on and wax off a given wax, the better it will protect. For example, liquid waxes are easy to use, but if you want super protection, nothing beats good old Carnuba Paste Wax (that can of solid wax).

No, its a liquid paste that you rub on the car, and then take it off, but it shows water running off the car with it on, no need for washing car anymore it says. hmmm

Old 01-28-2001, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
I just saw all this advertising info, shows it protect the car from a laser that actually burns through metal, etc, wonder if it really works like that even though they showed it on tv. Hmmm
Car polish keeps getting better and better. The newer silicone and polymer polishes are a lot better than the old organic waxes (I grew up whe Simonize was new). That said, I doubt if that TV product is any better than many others on the shelf at KMart for 1/4 the price. The laser test is scientific hocus pocus - protection from laser is reflectivity - it doesn't cut a mirror either, but sand will still scratch the mirror.

Dave
Old 01-28-2001, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to use it on my car. It still looks new. Unfortunatly I have nothing to compare it to, I just used it for the hell of it, I didn't care what they claimed about it.
Old 01-28-2001, 12:47 PM

I tried it once and it doesn't do jack. I wonder how they make it flow off in sheets like in the commercial because when I applied it, it sure as heck didn't flow off like that.
Old 01-28-2001, 12:57 PM

Go with the best......

Zanio is the best you can get...Check out the web site......http://www.zainobros.com/

Old 01-28-2001, 12:59 PM
My 4DSC

Another USELESS infomercial product...

My father ordered it...
IMO it doesnt last very long nor protect well...
and about never having to wash your car again...
OK...maybe not...if you Durashine it EVERYDAY.

Old 01-28-2001, 01:58 PM

Re: Another USELESS infomercial product...

That stuff is garbage! Go with rain-X wax, I have waxed four cars with it and they all love it! It keeps car clean easier! I bought that Durashine once a year crap and it left a film on my fathers black truck and if you read the bottle it says apply again in a month! Zimol Does a bueatiful shine but highlights scratchs and hood chips. 3M and Stoner did great for shine and hiding paint defeacts. Preston Bullet wax is supposed to be good but yet to try.
Thanks jon
Old 01-28-2001, 02:13 PM

Ehhh

When i repaint my car, im thinkin about tryin the Autotrend teflon-based AT-5 coating for my car...
Old 01-28-2001, 03:03 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Ehhh

What is it? Is it some type of extra coating that suppose prevent chips and swirl marks?

Originally posted by OgreDave
When i repaint my car, im thinkin about tryin the Autotrend teflon-based AT-5 coating for my car...
Old 01-29-2001, 12:57 AM

Re: Re: Ehhh

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
What is it? Is it some type of extra coating that suppose prevent chips and swirl marks?

Originally posted by OgreDave
Its like a sealant that lasts 1-3 years.. dont really have to wax the car, barely have to wash it. (Teflon, nothing sticks to it) .. Its supposed to be shiny like wax too. Im gonna ask to see a sample of course, before i do it. Theres a local place thats got a pretty good reputation (they even do buildings) .. they offer it.. all in due time tho, thats another 250-ish above a new paint job.. ouch.
Old 01-29-2001, 05:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Detailing

Those products fall into the category as gimmick pproducts. They are usually silcone based and will embed surface contaminants into the clearcoat.

Stick with top end show products. You can also go to my web site for a ton of data on proper detailing techniques and types of products to stay away from.

Regards

Originally posted by Russ2kSE