General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

what is this noise valve float? knocking? valvetrain? piston?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:21 PM

what is this noise valve float? knocking? valvetrain?

www.torontomaxima.com/~costcoGLE/Justin.mov

went to the track, did 3 runs and then he got this noise

right click save as please

and this is quicktime
Old 06-13-2003, 11:40 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

does the noise slow down and go away. not too sure cause the video cuts out

kinda sounds like the timing chain tensioner not gettin oil pressure also....
Old 06-14-2003, 09:52 AM

more details
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=224454
Old 06-14-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
does the noise slow down and go away. not too sure cause the video cuts out

kinda sounds like the timing chain tensioner not gettin oil pressure also....
Think a vacuum leak could cause this? I forgot to put the EGR gasket on upon re-install, and the car ran fine for a while.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:14 AM
SLOW

Sounds like a rod knocking around to me. It's too fast to be valvetrain, the valvetrain only rotates 1/4 as fast as the engine. Either way your engine's toast. Check your MEVI butterflies. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them is missing.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Sounds like a rod knocking around to me. It's too fast to be valvetrain, the valvetrain only rotates 1/4 as fast as the engine. Either way your engine's toast. Check your MEVI butterflies. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them is missing.
Neal you were right. I'm missing the last two butterfly valves...damn shoulda used loctite when I could

However, the car is running perfect now, no more clanking. Could it be that the screws are in a place where no damage is being done, or better yet, jettesoned out the exhaust?
Old 06-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

sure it MAY have.... run a compression test and see how much it's torn up the motor
Old 06-14-2003, 06:46 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by seximagtr
sure it MAY have.... run a compression test and see how much it's torn up the motor
Ditto. Anything's possible, however unlikely. The butterfly flaps will still be in your lower intake manifold, they can't get into the engine they are too large, but the screws on the other hand... It's kindof like driving a toaster through a car wash, the likelyhood of it making it through and not eletrocuting you is pretty slim. But you may just be that lucky. Get a compression tester and check her out.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AHhhh man, thats no valve float. Valve float makes a nasty sound when you rev too high and it wont let the car rev no more. Thats called knocking!!
Something inside the motor is seriously wrong to make that noise, sorry man but you might as well start to pull the thing apart. I dont know if its from the VIM but im pretty damn sure thats from the inside. We recently replaced a set of main bearing on a camry not too long ago. That was caused buy low oil pressure and the noise would start once revs climbed past 3K. Has the car been making the noise for a little while now and its been getting louder and louder recently? I still stand by saying something is wrong on the inside. GoodLuck and post back with some more info.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 PM

I found the two butterfly valves, but no signs of the screws. Gonna run a compression test come monday...hopefully it will turn out ok!
Old 06-15-2003, 06:40 AM

Sounds like a rod knocking. You could have also spun a bearing. They both make similar if not almost exact noises. Valve tapping has a higher pitched noise. If you spun a bearing, it would not effect a compression test.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Synki
Sounds like a rod knocking. You could have also spun a bearing. They both make similar if not almost exact noises. Valve tapping has a higher pitched noise. If you spun a bearing, it would not effect a compression test.
If that's the case, what's the more economical route to go...new engine, or repair the existing one?
Old 06-15-2003, 12:59 PM

If its just the bearing they can be replaced and just hope no further damage was done. Once you spin a bearing (either extreme vibration of low oil pressure cause this) it basically covers the oil ports in the crank not letting it get to the rod and its making more and more heat and will eventually give out and seize complety. Have you oil pan pulled out and disconnect the bottom portion if the rods and you'll have access to the main bearings but leave this to some1 who has done it be4. This is not do it yourself job unless your a pro. It all depend really if you did spin a bearing..

Did the noise start a week ot two ago? and only occured in the higher rpms? and got louder and louder and now makes it at the lower rpms as well? Once its starts to make the noise about 3-4K its time to get the checkec out or replaced but if it started like this and is now making the noise all the time, well it might have done quite a bit more damage inside. I hope this is not the case.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by HitManSE
If its just the bearing they can be replaced and just hope no further damage was done. Once you spin a bearing (either extreme vibration of low oil pressure cause this) it basically covers the oil ports in the crank not letting it get to the rod and its making more and more heat and will eventually give out and seize complety. Have you oil pan pulled out and disconnect the bottom portion if the rods and you'll have access to the main bearings but leave this to some1 who has done it be4. This is not do it yourself job unless your a pro. It all depend really if you did spin a bearing..

Did the noise start a week ot two ago? and only occured in the higher rpms? and got louder and louder and now makes it at the lower rpms as well? Once its starts to make the noise about 3-4K its time to get the checkec out or replaced but if it started like this and is now making the noise all the time, well it might have done quite a bit more damage inside. I hope this is not the case.
I did the compression test and it checked out ok. The noise is gone, and the car runs normal like nothing happened, except for the fact that four screws are sucked into the engine somewhere, potentially causing more damage.

I think I'm going to take it into a shop to get the engine pulled apart and looked at. I don't know what else to do :\
Old 06-17-2003, 10:19 AM

You and these quicktime movies...
Old 06-17-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Shoooter_j

I did the compression test and it checked out ok. The noise is gone, and the car runs normal like nothing happened, except for the fact that four screws are sucked into the engine somewhere, potentially causing more damage.

I think I'm going to take it into a shop to get the engine pulled apart and looked at. I don't know what else to do :\
Well if the noise is gone then there is nothing in the engine. Pull out the cat to see if there is anything stuck in the screen ( bolts? ) Just hope they are there. If not just use a telescope like probe with a light on it (I dont remember what its called, but I have 1 at work and the damn this is like $200+ ) remove the plugs once more and insert the probe and look around in there to see if you see and scratched on the surface of the piston or wall of the cylinder. Once again best of luck to you man, this just sucks.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:18 PM

With the help of two org members (costcowholesale-Dennis and majesticbluento-Neil), we were able to recover 2 of the 4 missing screws, while checking all 6 cylinders the spark plug way. Unfortunately, this method failed to turn up the screws, but we didn't see any scratches on the piston itself.

Dennis and Neil were also able to find two screws that fit the butterfly valves @ home depot (nice work guys ) - and I used loctite this time on the screws, although it may be too late

So only two screws are missing, and we figure that it would just be the same if not more $ to have a shop pull apart the engine as it would be to wait for this one to fail (if it ever does) and get a used one put in.

Bottom line is I think I'll just be driving normally for now until it fails (hopefully never *crosses fingers*)
Old 06-18-2003, 04:42 PM

Hmm, so you found two of the 4 missing....Were you able to get the out? Also like I said pull out the cat converter to check the screen. You might find them there if the screws passed through the head.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:10 PM

lord this sounds likee a nightmare... yikes :-/
Old 06-20-2003, 12:12 AM

Valve Float? lol, not likely on our engines

'68 Mustang with a 289ci controlled by a MSD 6A (no rev limiter) and a High School Car show with out a tach = hehehehe

I hope you can find those other 2 screws, but if you can't I doubt you wont just accept the idea of them disappearing.

Good Luck!
MrGone