General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Putting a TV in my max...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 03:17 PM

Ok,

I saw those 4in LCD screens for 99 bucks and figured "what the hell, i need one!!". So heres what i was thinking. Take out my CD player and move it down to the little storage comparment place (under the 2 dins, place where you keep gum, etc). Then put the TV in the 2 dins. Would it fit there nice and snug? Ok, so how do i install the screen into those two dins? Is it a hard thing? Then i need to put a VCR in the trunk. This mean i have to run another set of RCAs, or is there usually an input and output RCA on AMPs (ill check tomorrow, but im trying to plan this out now). Ill need sound from the VCR, so that will need to go the head unit, then i need the yellow RCA to go to the LCD screen. Sounds like i need to run another set of RCAs for the video? How do you switch over from CD Player to video? Would i be able to use the VCRs remote to start/stop, etc? Or would i have to mount somthing else to controll?

Now, making the CD player work again where it is. How do you make that work? Or would all of this just be easier to hve the shop do it? Theyd probably charge 200 bucks to isntall it though. Yuck. Who is it that has a setup like this?

Ok thats it from me, for now!
Old 01-31-2001, 04:02 PM

Kinda long

To see if the screens will fit in the 2 din opening you'll need to measure them. One din is 43mm therefore 2 dins would be Yep you guessed it 86mm. You would then need to construct a bracket from something like an MDF plastic that will allow you to mount then in an iso-configuration. That should be easy if your good with a Dremel. Why to screens? They are going to show the same image so the size wount be any bigger, unless you plan on doing some cameras in which case each screen would show it own image. On to the vcr, do you plan on using a 12volt vcr or a home vcr. If you get a 12volt vcr most come with a sperate remote eye for the sensor. If you use a home vcr you'll need to open it up. On the circuit board is the remote eye. You'll need to remove it from the board, solder 3 wires in its place, and then solder them to the original sensor once mounted in the car. You need to be very careful and very good a soldering to accomplish this. You'll also need an iverter for your power source. Lastly the screens may or may not include an RF modulator, for $99 my guess is they don't. Anyway the RF modulator works like the CD changer ones. Run a set of RCA cables (mono for most) from the vcr into the modulator than that is installed in line with your antenna and you tune the radio station to a specific station 88.7 as an exsample. And if your going to run 2 screens you'll need a spliter for the video signal but becareful because sometime when you split a signal you change from 75ohms and the picture can look like crap.
My advice is just save some ca$h and buy a bigger screen, you'll be happier in the long run, or put them in you visors or something. Good luck.
1995 GXE 1st Place NOPI Nationals 2000
Skyline conversion?? Stay tuned
Old 01-31-2001, 06:04 PM

did i say i wanted 2 screens? If so it was a typo... sorry =)

Ok, so the RF modulator gives me sound right? Theni still have to run the other cable to my LCD (they said it comes with standard RCA ins)
What about moving my Cd player to that comparment above the cig adapter?
I am thinking Ill just use one of the VCRs i got for 5 bucks at a lawn sale. That makes things easy.
I dont really want a biger screen, just somthing small to watch simpsons reruns, maybe play Bond, etc.

I figured that putting it in the 2 dins was the easist place in terms of wiring...

Who is the person on this board who has a similar setup?
Is this a job that the radio shop would even do?

Old 01-31-2001, 06:10 PM

$99 LCD?

where is this for sale?

PJ
Old 01-31-2001, 06:21 PM

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=205-050&DID=7
Old 01-31-2001, 06:50 PM

I shop may do the job but its not that difficult, just take your time and don't rush. Yes one of the rca cables, the yellow one runs to the monitor with your video signal. You could move the cd player to the pocket above the 12 plug. In my car I have an Alpine cva-1005 in the bottom slot, era320g eq in the next slot with the factory pocket door and the factory head unit in the top as a decoy. Anything worth doing takes time to do it right
Check out the pics on http://www.photopoint.com, I'm tired of attempting to post pictures, everytime I do what I should it never works. The album is under Maxstilln Maxima pictures. Enjoy my ride
Old 01-31-2001, 06:57 PM

dangit!

Ive been searching photopoint and cant find it! Do you have a link to your gallery or somthing?
I wanna see the setup!
Old 01-31-2001, 07:02 PM

Re: dangit!

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Ive been searching photopoint and cant find it! Do you have a link to your gallery or somthing?
I wanna see the setup!
Yea here it is
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...187&a=11165378
Sorry, when you go to the site you need to put in the entire email address. Maxstilln@hotmail.com
Old 01-31-2001, 07:06 PM

Im not seeing any din mounted TV's in those pics .....Im seeing a playstation, no tv though =)
Old 01-31-2001, 07:25 PM

I forgot that I have the pictures of the CVA1005 in an MPEG video and couldn't load it on to the site. Do you have MSN Instant messenger I can send it too you to check out.
Old 02-01-2001, 02:21 PM

i have AIM: zehrwang
Old 02-01-2001, 02:43 PM

BE CAREFUL

Originally posted by Nick Robinson
Ok,

I saw those 4in LCD screens for 99 bucks and figured "what the hell, i need one!!". So heres what i was thinking. Take out my CD player and move it down to the little storage comparment place (under the 2 dins, place where you keep gum, etc). Then put the TV in the 2 dins. Would it fit there nice and snug? Ok, so how do i install the screen into those two dins? Is it a hard thing? Then i need to put a VCR in the trunk. This mean i have to run another set of RCAs, or is there usually an input and output RCA on AMPs (ill check tomorrow, but im trying to plan this out now). Ill need sound from the VCR, so that will need to go the head unit, then i need the yellow RCA to go to the LCD screen. Sounds like i need to run another set of RCAs for the video? How do you switch over from CD Player to video? Would i be able to use the VCRs remote to start/stop, etc? Or would i have to mount somthing else to controll?

Now, making the CD player work again where it is. How do you make that work? Or would all of this just be easier to hve the shop do it? Theyd probably charge 200 bucks to isntall it though. Yuck. Who is it that has a setup like this?

Ok thats it from me, for now!

i have a set-up w/ two monitors, one mounted on the top of the center console on my 2k max and the other between the armrest for the rear passengers. i have a vhs machine in the trunk that can be operated w/ the remote from the inside. the problem i have is that everytime i step on the gas, i get this whizzing sound. the harder i step on the gas, the louder it gets, and i can't seem to get rid of it. it's actually worse when the tv's on, but it can get pretty unbearable w/ the vhs also. i use the RF also, and tried different frequencies w/ no success. i have a ground suppressor thing, but that didn't help either. i think i may need to move the suppressor to another part or get more for the different devices. if anyone here has suggestions on fixes, i'd certainly appreciate it! :/

Old 02-01-2001, 02:53 PM

I think thats either your spark plugs or your wiring or somthing. People with systems get this sound and you need to get better cabbles or spark plugs or both, cant remember 100%. Someone in audio would know i bet.
Old 02-02-2001, 06:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you mean like this:

Check out my site to see what I did...
http://bubblemax.homestead.com/files/maxp3.htm

Click on the link at the top of the page to get to the TV section.

Anyway, about your questions:

-moving the cd player to the bottom din opening is cake. it's as simple as removing four screws. The screws are on the inside of the dash, so if you remove that whole peice you'll see them. It's the exact same size opening and it'll work like a charm, just replug the wiring.

-It' definately won't fit nice and snug, my 5.6" was too small for the opening. Also, those $99 ones don't come with a case so you'll have to make one (no prob though, mine came with a case and i didn't even use it) You're gonna have to end up gettign creative or doing something I did to make it look good, it's really the only way. Just start thinking about what you could do. Check out my page for instructions on what I did.

-you can use an rf modulator, or maybe, you can run the audio to your amp and use the VCR's remote to control the volume, if it has that function.

-the remote on the vcr will only work if the eye is in direct site (won't be if it's in the trunk). Like somone said, if you're handy just solder some leads to it and move the receivers "eye" into the cabin, or, mount the vcr in the ski pass through so you can pull down the armrest when you're playing a video.

There ya go.

Chris

Old 02-04-2001, 06:50 AM

There it is!

Thats what i was talking about. Ok thats just damn cool. Time to get to work i guess!