General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

chris,

you get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk?! that is asanine. who enacted that law? who voted for that? was that on a local election ballot? how can that be? the problem with bikes is that they blur the line between vehicle and pedestrian. as for me, here in los angeles, if i do not ride my bike on the sidewalk then i am at risk for death constantly! i almost NEVER ride on the actual roadway here (you gotta be kidding!). as for indy and illy, i bet they got that law pushed through because, legally, cars cannot drive on the sidewalk either. so they lumped bikes in with cars since they have the same "rights." but that ordinance proves that already even the state legislatures do not really regard bicycles on the same legal playing field as cars. why, then, are there not bike lock racks at every store or venue? i cannot recall ever seeing bike racks at gas stations. a large number of shopping malls, too, are devoid of bike facilities. but car facilities from here to eternity abound.

another level to this issue is automotive manufacturer's dominance of the market >>> here in LA, back in the day, rail transportation abounded. then, years ago, GM bought out all of the right-of-way rail bed. and they banished the in-town trolleys and trains. why? to create dependence on the car! why? $$$$$!!! the bike is too cheap to operate!! and you cannot get insurance companies on board with bikes because mandatory insurance does not apply to bikes! and how can lawyers be employed and charge outrageous litigation fees if nobody is getting into fender-benders or settling wrongful death suits? maybe with commuter trains, you would have the occasional derailing and head-on collision, but those are too infrequent compared to automotive fatalities! and a bike only needs ounces of oil for the chain, but a car needs gallons and gallons of gasoline and oil!!!($$$$$).
Old 07-13-2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by bonzelite
chris,

you get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk?! that is asanine. who enacted that law? who voted for that? was that on a local election ballot? how can that be?
Its illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk here in New York City too. You get a ticket for that. Theres too many people on the sidewalks and you might run over someone.