General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 05:18 PM

what do you think of cyclists?

How does everyone feel about cyclists on the roads? The reason I ask is that in Cincinnati a radio station morning show DJ encouraged motorists to do the following:

speed past the bike, pull back into the lane and slam on your brakes.

speed past the bike, have your passenger open their door and put on
the brakes.

yell and/or honk at all cyclists as you pass in your car.

throw things like cans or rolls of pennies out your window at cyclists.

They then proceeded to take calls. What would you say if you called and got on the air?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:31 PM

I like my bike. I'm not an avid bike rider, but I like the mentallity of using a bike to commute to work/stores etc. In Buffalo, among other cities, the last friday of each month is a CM (Critical Mass) bike ride in which bikers (lots of hippies too) ride bikes kinda of in a formation. Then end up blocking traffic which is bad, instead of blending in, which would be good, but I agree that most drivers are A holes and think they own the rode. Share with bikes.

Mike S.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Re: what do you think of cyclists?

Originally posted by grody
What would you say if you called and got on the air?
Why would you encourage such stupid and reckless behavior?

Old 07-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That DJ is obviously an idiot. I ride my bike to school/work every day and it says me tons of money. While my friends are waiting in traffic, I am passing them on my bike! For short, reasonable distances you can't be the convince of a bike (unless it's raining of course, then it sucks) Most cyclist I know try their best to stay out of the way of cars, why would they want to get hit?! If you can't slow down for 10 seconds to pass somebody, then you shouldn't be on the road to begin with.

People like this are what makes this world a worse place.

-Dan
Old 07-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Ramius83

I say.......IBTL

Old 07-09-2003, 06:59 PM

Re: Re: what do you think of cyclists?

Originally posted by Ant96GLE

Why would you encourage such stupid and reckless behavior?

I hope you're not thinking I am encouraging this (I don't think you are, just wanted to clarify.)

I work in a bike shop and ride to class/work all the time. I just wanted to see what people really thought. Almost all the callers to the show were in agreement with the DJ's, and the few cyclists that did get through were ridiculed and insulted. I sent an email to the station and wanted to see what all of you thought.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:03 PM

Also, I posted this here because obviously the people that post here are all at least somewhat avid motorists, and I thought I'd see what a group like this (as opposed to posting on a cycling board or something like that which would be extremely biased my way). I just wanted some honest opinions from people who may or may not ride bikes, but all have to share the road with them. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:38 AM

I am a pretty avid cyclist (ride about 50-100 miles a week for fun) I don't commute by bike so I try and stay away from trafic, but a lot of cars don't see you and run you off the road as it is. Cyclist have the same rights to road use as cars (unless posted otherwise ie. freeeways). I have been hit by drivers not paying attention, and it really ****es me off when drivers don't respect my right to use the road. But at the same time cyclist need to follow the rules of the road, and a lot don't so I can understand how this could frustrate some drivers, but it is still no excuse to try and kill us. Because some of those suggestions could cause some serious injuries if any idiot took it seriously.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:31 AM
is invisible

They did the same thing on a radio show in Cleveland.

I just have a problem with self-righteous cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road: turning on red, cutting through stopped traffic, running stop signs @ 30mph without a helmet, stray into other lanes, etc. Sometimes it seems as if they are taunting you. If you have the same rights, you should follow the same rules.

I like to bike...I just choose to do it in safer, designated places (parks, rec centers, bike paths). I would rather avoid confrontation.
How do cyclists feel about other cyclists when they are driving their cars?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by CoolMax
They did the same thing on a radio show in Cleveland.

I just have a problem with self-righteous cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road: turning on red, cutting through stopped traffic, running stop signs @ 30mph without a helmet, stray into other lanes, etc. Sometimes it seems as if they are taunting you. If you have the same rights, you should follow the same rules.

I like to bike...I just choose to do it in safer, designated places (parks, rec centers, bike paths). I would rather avoid confrontation.
How do cyclists feel about other cyclists when they are driving their cars?
There are a lot of reckless cyclists out there are a lot more reckless drivers. Running the stop sign is stupid and dangerous, but I too have done it when there is no trafic around to keep my speed up.

I would love to ride where there was no cars, but its hard to find somewhere like that where I can ride 20+ miles at over 20mph.

Oh and I am super careful around other cyclist when I am in my car since I would like everyone else to do the same around me.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i am a cyclist, too. i live in LA. it is car city here. and cyclists are somewhat respected as it is also a health saavy city. nonetheless, there is the occasional idiot cyclist who takes the rights too far and ventures into the middle of a traffic lane as if he/she were a car. to me, this is taking one's life into one's hands. we must excercise (unintentional pun) our rights or they will be eroded. this is true, but prudence must be heeded as well. it is not a free-for-all for bikes. and lots of car drivers hate cyclists, btw, but do not admit it. as for me, i stay the living hel* off the roads!!! i'm like to bike but i like the idea of living longer, too! cars often ignore motorcyclists. what about an invisible bicycle? as a car driver on the other side, often, cyclists make me nervous because i do not know to what extent they will excercise their "rights." and if i hit them, then i am at fault, by default.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:56 AM

also, that radio dj is spreading hate. he wants shock value at the expense of ethics. they should put that guy on a bike and have him venture into traffic with a car doing to him what he suggests.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by bonzelite
also, that radio dj is spreading hate. he wants shock value at the expense of ethics. they should put that guy on a bike and have him venture into traffic with a car doing to him what he suggests.
If I was the station manager, I'd have that dj's head on a seatpost. Trouble is, the more controversy they can stir up, the better for them, so they go out of their way with stupid crap like this.

I've been a serious recreational and sometimes commuter cyclist for over 20 years, and from what I've observed, cyclists are their own worst enemies. For every jerk in a car that harasses cyclists, there's an a$$hole cyclist with an attitude who makes us all look bad.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

If I was the station manager, I'd have that dj's head on a seatpost. Trouble is, the more controversy they can stir up, the better for them, so they go out of their way with stupid crap like this.

I've been a serious recreational and sometimes commuter cyclist for over 20 years, and from what I've observed, cyclists are their own worst enemies. For every jerk in a car that harasses cyclists, there's an a$$hole cyclist with an attitude who makes us all look bad.

After you've been run off the road a few times you start picking up the a$$hole attitude, its natural, but it doesn't help the situation.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Administrator

what does this have to do with maxima's?
Old 07-10-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
what does this have to do with maxima's?
I carry my bikes on my maxima.

I can do desents faster on my bike them my maxima, how can I mike my maxima keep up?

Now is it maxima related?
Old 07-10-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Canuck

After you've been run off the road a few times you start picking up the a$$hole attitude, its natural, but it doesn't help the situation.
Oh, I agree. I've been run off the road a couple of times, too, including one time that ruined my expensive Italian frame. Fortunately I didn't get hurt (due to my cheap but sturdy German frame, yuk yuk). And I've had my share of being yelled at and had trash thrown at me. But I see (and have ridden with) cyclists who go ballistic over the slightest, unintended goof a driver makes. They act like it was a personal attack. Too much hormones flowing, I guess. I try to stay calm and mellowed out, but stuff like that (on both sides) takes the fun out of it.

I'd love to have a Campagnolo shift **** for my Maxima (keeping it on topic).
Old 07-10-2003, 12:24 PM

it is about maximas by default as maximas are cars.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Administrator

it is about maximas by default as maximas are cars.

nice try..

and you guys talking about bicycles or motorcycles?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:14 PM

nice try..

Bicycles. By some weird convolution of reasoning, bicyclists are usually referred to as cyclists and motorcyclists are bikers.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:15 PM

nice try..

bicycles
Old 07-10-2003, 01:15 PM

i believe bicycles..

that's what I assumed from the recreation area comment.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:09 PM
is invisible

Originally posted by Canuck

There are a lot of reckless cyclists out there are a lot more reckless drivers. Running the stop sign is stupid and dangerous, but I too have done it when there is no trafic around to keep my speed up.
There lies the problem: the chick was hauling without a helmet, knew she'd get to the sign before me, for the sake of keeping speed up, she rode right past it.
Just stop at the damn sign and start pedaling again...it's better for you.

I'd love to run stop signs in my car when no one is around...less wear and tear, keeps my speed up, wastes less time...but alas I don't do it

Bottom line: 20lb bike with 175lb rider vs. 3000lb car...something's gotta give...why risk it?

Sorry if I sound like an ****.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: what do you think of cyclists?

Originally posted by grody

I hope you're not thinking I am encouraging this (I don't think you are, just wanted to clarify.)

I work in a bike shop and ride to class/work all the time. I just wanted to see what people really thought. Almost all the callers to the show were in agreement with the DJ's, and the few cyclists that did get through were ridiculed and insulted. I sent an email to the station and wanted to see what all of you thought.
No I dont believe you are encouraging this but I just think its pretty irresponsible for them to say things like that. I live in New York and I drive through the city on a daily basis. There are messengers on bikes that run red lights and are worse than cabs. But the way I look at it is I have a 3000 pound car and they're on a 50 pound bike. I just get the hell out of the way and let them be on their merry way. Let them crash into someone else.

And yea like Sprint said, what does this have to do with Maxima's?
Old 07-10-2003, 02:31 PM

i love bicycles - if i had the money, i would love to get one of those 8 thousand dollar frames, but maybe when i get a real job :-p
Old 07-10-2003, 05:04 PM
Administrator

i hate being called a biker.. makes me feel so harleyish
Old 07-10-2003, 08:38 PM

i feel the winds of thread-locking blowing this way.... hmm. do i see a moderator on the horizon?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:49 PM

Wow, lots of responses...

As far as being Maxima related, hmmm... I guess I think of Maxima owners as being both intelligent and at least somewhat articulate, and also of course car enthusiasts. If anyone would dislike cyclists on the roads, it would be those who enjoy driving. I figured I'd find that here, along with a variety of opinions. In short, I respect the Maxima community as a whole, and wanted your opinions.

Oh, and a Campy shift **** would be so cool. Mmmm, Record Carbon...
Old 07-11-2003, 06:22 AM

i hate being called a biker.. makes me feel so harleyish
I hate to be the one telling you this, but if you ride a Japanese bike you're a ricer...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 AM

Little Update

I guess the League of American Cyclists has formally complained to the FCC since this since similar comments were made on 3 clear channel stations in the recent past.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Stephen Max

I hate to be the one telling you this, but if you ride a Japanese bike you're a ricer...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Disco Biscuit

I am an avid cyclist...

And I have chaes idiots down that do $hit like that. Whats he point in doing it? Sounds like he needs a good case of road rash....
Old 07-11-2003, 07:43 AM

Re: I am an avid cyclist...

Originally posted by Whitemax
Sounds like he needs a good case of road rash....

exactly He doesn't understand what its like to get run off the road by a driver when you weren't doing anything wrong.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:36 PM
† ErV †

The way i see it if something happens I will get the blame because the poor defenseless cyclist who was having a merry go around the road markings couldn't have possibly be doing anything wrong. /sarcasm/ There are parks and trails for these purposes. And if you want to save gas get a 4cyl focus. Ive had my fair share of bycicle riders on the roads.. if you can't tell.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
The way i see it if something happens I will get the blame because the poor defenseless cyclist who was having a merry go around the road markings couldn't have possibly be doing anything wrong. /sarcasm/ There are parks and trails for these purposes. And if you want to save gas get a 4cyl focus. Ive had my fair share of bycicle riders on the roads.. if you can't tell.
Around here, whenever a cyclist gets in an accident with a car, the news reporters invariably mention whether or not the cyclist was wearing a helmet. The unspoken implication being, of course, that if the cyclist was not wearing a helmet then whatever happened was his own fault and he deserved to get hurt. And this is in Lance Armstrong's hometown, too. So if you have to run down a cyclist, make sure he/she's bareheaded.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:54 PM

in all fairness, i find most bicyclists annoying. sorry. i just do. and i am a cyclist. but i do not act like an entitled jackas* when i take my bike out. i go on the road knowing, rights or not, that a car can kill me. period. and i respect that. public roads, by and large, are perhaps the most dangerous places to be anyway, even in a car.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:34 PM

in all fairness, i find most bicyclists annoying. sorry. i just do. and i am a cyclist. but i do not act like an entitled jackas* when i take my bike out. i go on the road knowing, rights or not, that a car can kill me. period. and i respect that. public roads, by and large, are perhaps the most dangerous places to be anyway, even in a car.
When I ride my bicycle I ride on trails and sidewalks for my own safety. I completely understand that bicyclists have every right to be on the street as well, as long as they are following the same rules that I must. Too often I see a guy cut through traffic or blow stop signs and it irritates the crap out of me. I've been cut off in my car by some jerk on a bike that didn't feel like waiting with the rest of us in traffic, he came down the side of my car in a turn lane just as I was hitting the gas. There is no excuse for that. Yes, its sucks to get behind a bike in traffic, but I wait and pass, no horns or jesters, just go around.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:47 AM

That DJ is a jag, I ride my bike quite a bit without bike lanes. I am so tired of people cutting me off, passing way too close, or just thinking that i'm a car or in his way, I take up maybe a 2' space on the road. Perhaps if I placed a nice dent and scratch in his door with my cleated bike shoes he learn. Chris
Old 07-13-2003, 10:47 AM

the problem with motorists v. cyclists is that the two modes of transportation, in the case for most of the domestic united states, are not in harmony with each other. the cyclists are given "full rights" by law, yet they must fend for their safety out on the road because most roadways here are simply not built for the cyclist in mind. there are some exceptions, like bike lanes, but those are so scant as to be nearly irrelevant. and motorists, namely car people, are either tunnel-visioned and on a "mission" or in a coma, or they are too impatient to "give gap, take gap" or anything else. moreover, it is often hard to see another vehicle entering into the driver's side views. blind spots hide everything. even tractor-trailers. so cyclists get lost in the visual noise. then you add the occasional "entitled" bicyclist, the idiot, and then a case is made for ALL cyclists being an annoyance. it is like racism.

the mentality in the united states towards cyclists is entirely different than in europe or especially in asia. like japan. as i have been there twice, i can tell you that walking, the bicycle, and then the train is often the MAIN source of transportation. there the cities are denser, the spaces are limited, pedestrians are heeded by default. most cities here in the states are pedestrian unfriendly. sometimes pedestrian hostile.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:07 AM

To make it worse, here in Indiana and Illinois, its illegal for me as a cyclist to ride on the sidewalk. Yes thats right, I can get a traffic ticket for riding on the sidewalk. Cyclist just can't win. Oh, thank you guys and gals out there that move over or switch lanes to make room for a cyclist, I do it as everyone should. Chris