General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Engine Swap, Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 06:17 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Engine Swap, Day 1

Well, 1.5 kinda.

Thursday night I took the car to my Dad's where I'd be doing the swap. Took the hood off, splash guards off, front suspension out and drained all the fluids.

This morning at 9AM I got to work. Today I got the following accomplished:

- Intake path out
- Radiator/Water hoses out
- Axles out
- Starter, shifter control rod, Clutch release cylinder un-hooked
- Wiring harness unhooked
- Fuel lines unhooked
- AC Compressor disconnected (from block)
- PS Pump disconnected (from block)

Not quite as far as I liked. I wanted to get the tranny out today. However, I relized I couldn't do so without removing the cross member, and I didn't like the idea of leaving the engine supported by a jack or hoist for the night. So, I'm going to take the tranny then engine out tomorrow.

The Passenger side axle was a major pain in the ***! The Hayned manual stated to remove the 3 bolts around the bearing in the support bracked. Nowhere in the insrtructions did they mention un-bolting the bracket from the block. Well, after about and hour and a half with it, I unbolted the bracked from the block and the thing came right out. I pulled so hard that I seperated the inner CV, so I'm going to have to take that boot off and re-assemble it. Oh well. I am going to re-boot the outer CV's, but I guess I'll do the inners while I'm at it.

After that I got a flat tire in my Dad's Ford Ranger, which I'm driving while this is being done. I had to waste almost three hours dealing with that, so that slowed me down a lot!

Pictures: http://www.ericj.org/maxima/img/engine_swap/

[EDIT]
Pictures from day 1's work start with a '1', day 2's work with a '2', and so on.
[/EDIT]

Tomorrow I have to seperate the engine and tranny and remove both. Shouldn't have a problem getting that done, and I'll be right on schedule (engine out by the end of the weekend).

So far, about 7 hours into it.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Ramius83

You didn't have to remove the bracket. Your CV axle probably rusted to the bracket. All you had to do was insert a metal wedge in between the bracket and the axle and knock it loose. But, you got it out anyways, so it doesn't matter lol.

Good luck on this. Keep us posted....

Old 07-12-2003, 08:06 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Ramius83
You didn't have to remove the bracket. Your CV axle probably rusted to the bracket. All you had to do was insert a metal wedge in between the bracket and the axle and knock it loose. But, you got it out anyways, so it doesn't matter lol.
I tried everything and the damn thing wouldn't budge. I was ****ed that I didn't think of removing the bracket sooner though!
Old 07-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Ramius83

I did have the same problem when I was converting my car to 5-speed. It would NOT come off for the life of it. But after hitting it with a metal wedge thingie and a huge 5-pound metal hammer, came off like a champ lol. But you got it off, so who cares lol. I hope the rest goes easy.

BTW, how many miles did you have on the old engine and how many on the new one?

Old 07-12-2003, 08:10 PM
ejj

Originally posted by Ramius83
BTW, how many miles did you have on the old engine and how many on the new one?
87k on the ole, 42k on the new. Both 99 engines.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:20 PM

sounds like things are moving along. a couple comments though. first of all, you got the PS pump unhooked, congrats, the hardest part of your motor swap is over!! secondly, why would you have to remove the crossmember for the tranny? I have removed my transmission maybe 10+ times, and motor a few times, and do not think I have ever taken off that engine crossmember..

good luck on the rest of it!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:09 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Ejj, why are you swapping engines? And did you ever consider using the 3.5VQ crank to up displacement?
Old 07-13-2003, 02:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just FYI you dont have to remove the crossmember to yank the tranny out, you just need to have the right tools I just did a clutch on a 4th gen less then a week ago so yeah im pretty sure. As for the pass side axle, it is somewhat of a PITA. I didnt actually remove it, what I did was when the tranny was loose, I just pulled the tranny off the block and used a 4ft long screw driver/pry bar to pop the axle loose and just pulled the tranny off.
The only PITA about the axle is those bolts are so damn tight. Once the tranny is out, your obvioulsy gonna have more room in there hell you do something many times and you get used to it and takes less time each time around

You've captured my curiosity... what exactly are you doin?
Old 07-13-2003, 05:10 AM
ejj

Well, the cross member is blocking access to one of the bolts on the tranny support rod. For the life of me I can't figure how to get that bolt off with the cross member on there.

Its coming off anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

Craig - Blew my engine with a MEVI screw. Didn't consider rebuilding an engine. Wanted a simple(r) swap.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:42 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Engine Swap, Day 1

Originally posted by ejj
Well, 1.5 kinda.

Thursday night I took the car to my Dad's where I'd be doing the swap. Took the hood off, splash guards off, front suspension out and drained all the fluids.

This morning at 9AM I got to work. Today I got the following accomplished:

- Intake path out
- Radiator/Water hoses out
- Axles out
- Starter, shifter control rod, Clutch release cylinder un-hooked
- Wiring harness unhooked
- Fuel lines unhooked
- AC Compressor disconnected (from block)
- PS Pump disconnected (from block)

Not quite as far as I liked. I wanted to get the tranny out today. However, I relized I couldn't do so without removing the cross member, and I didn't like the idea of leaving the engine supported by a jack or hoist for the night. So, I'm going to take the tranny then engine out tomorrow.

The Passenger side axle was a major pain in the ***! The Hayned manual stated to remove the 3 bolts around the bearing in the support bracked. Nowhere in the insrtructions did they mention un-bolting the bracket from the block. Well, after about and hour and a half with it, I unbolted the bracked from the block and the thing came right out. I pulled so hard that I seperated the inner CV, so I'm going to have to take that boot off and re-assemble it. Oh well. I am going to re-boot the outer CV's, but I guess I'll do the inners while I'm at it.

After that I got a flat tire in my Dad's Ford Ranger, which I'm driving while this is being done. I had to waste almost three hours dealing with that, so that slowed me down a lot!

Pictures: http://www.ericj.org/maxima/img/engine_swap/

Tomorrow I have to seperate the engine and tranny and remove both. Shouldn't have a problem getting that done, and I'll be right on schedule (engine out by the end of the weekend).

So far, about 7 hours into it.

you need to work faster.. if not it is gonna take you forever...
Old 07-13-2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by ejj
Well, the cross member is blocking access to one of the bolts on the tranny support rod. For the life of me I can't figure how to get that bolt off with the cross member on there.

Its coming off anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

Craig - Blew my engine with a MEVI screw. Didn't consider rebuilding an engine. Wanted a simple(r) swap.
It does block access to one of the bolt yes, but like I said use the right tool and after you get it off you will fell like but your right, its coming off anyway so it doesnt matter. Have fun doing the swap, the only HARD part I consider there is with a job like this is keeping track of were all the studs,bost,nuts,screws all go. Just take your time, but the 7hrs of your you did should have taken you 4hrs at the most but im guessing you just took your time. Nissan has setup almost everything in a simple to access location in the maxima. Except the exhaust manifolds and the rack and pinion most everything is simple. I would hate to do the rack on a max, its looks to be such a PITA.
I knew about you losing the screws into the engine from the MEVI but I thought you were gonna build it (or have some1 build the motor) and you do the swap.
Either way good luck.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Ejj, why are you swapping engines? And did you ever consider using the 3.5VQ crank to up displacement?
I just finished pulling my 4th gen engine out for the same reason as ejj, MEVI screw blew my engine. Will the 3.5 crank and rods bolt right in or do I have to do modifications to get them to fit? Let me know.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:04 PM
ejj

Re: Re: Engine Swap, Day 1

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

you need to work faster.. if not it is gonna take you forever...

Originally posted by HitManSE

It does block access to one of the bolt yes, but like I said use the right tool and after you get it off you will fell like but your right, its coming off anyway so it doesnt matter. Have fun doing the swap, the only HARD part I consider there is with a job like this is keeping track of were all the studs,bost,nuts,screws all go. Just take your time, but the 7hrs of your you did should have taken you 4hrs at the most but im guessing you just took your time. Nissan has setup almost everything in a simple to access location in the maxima. Except the exhaust manifolds and the rack and pinion most everything is simple. I would hate to do the rack on a max, its looks to be such a PITA.
I knew about you losing the screws into the engine from the MEVI but I thought you were gonna build it (or have some1 build the motor) and you do the swap.
Either way good luck.

I'm using zip-lock bags...lots of them. Each 'section' gets its own bag (ie 1 per mount, 1 for tranny bolts, etc).

Day 2 update here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=232568
Old 07-13-2003, 07:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Engine Swap, Day 1

Originally posted by ejj

I'm using zip-lock bags...lots of them. Each 'section' gets its own bag (ie 1 per mount, 1 for tranny bolts, etc).

Day 2 update here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=232568
I recently blew my motor and I am going to swap it out. Ejj, have you ever replaced a motor before or are you just following the Hayned manual? Also I saw someone mention something about using a 3.5 crank? Can a 3.5 fit with no issue in a 99?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:18 PM
ejj

Re: Re: Re: Re: Engine Swap, Day 1

Originally posted by axim

I recently blew my motor and I am going to swap it out. Ejj, have you ever replaced a motor before or are you just following the Hayned manual? Also I saw someone mention something about using a 3.5 crank? Can a 3.5 fit with no issue in a 99?
Nope, never replaced a motor before.

I'm using the haynes manual and FSM for reference now and then, but primarly just figuring it out as I go.

The 3.5L crank is not nearly that simple...search for posts about it by MardiGrasMax. Its quite a project.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:15 PM

Rebuilding the motor is and saying its quite a project is a bit of an understatment. There is 29.9hrs in my labor book that is required to take apart the put the VQ30 block back together. I think the Crank is at 17.X something alone. Around the engine most everything is setup simple, but in the engine its a PITA!