General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Radar Detector positioning, please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 04:01 PM

Radar Detector positioning, please help

I haven't seen this done yet or even seen anyone talk about this, but I'm wondering if I can mount my valentine one on my REAR windshield. As long as I put it in the middle, it'll still be able to see out the back and forward out the front windshield, but i think it'd be better for two reasons. 1) My back windshield is tinted so it'd be better if it was right up against the glass. And 2) cops won't be able to see it at all. If i get pulled over, I dont' hav eto worry about taking it down or anything, because you can't see it from teh outside since my back windshield is tinted, and you cant see it through the side windows either. I have the concealed display so I can still have the visuals right in front of me. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? My only concern is if I mount it high on the back windshield (whcih it should be), the front sensor might be blocked by the rearview mirror. But even if it's in the direct line of site, there's still like 4 or 5 feet of air in between so it should still detect radar/laser right? If anyone could give me some input on this i'd really appreciate it, thanks.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well first off, the tint wont affect the the performance, at least i dont think so, so mounting it on your windshield should be fine...

Eric
Old 07-19-2003, 07:38 PM

Well my main reason for doing it is so that if i ever get pulled over, I won't have to worry about trying to take it down so that the cop won't see it. If it's mounted on the rear windshield, he most likely won't see it anyway cuz he can't see through the windows, and he's not gonna stick his head in through my window and look in the back. Is it possible to do even if i mount it high up and the rearview mirror is straight ahead? Because if radar is shot, it still comes into the car and bounces all around right? thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 07:49 PM

Tint does affect the performance of radar detectors.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:56 PM

Basically what I'm asking is.....If I mount it high up on the rear windshield, the sensor that faces forward is pretty much lined up wiht the rearview mirror (even though there's about 4 or 5 feet in between). If this is the case, will the front sensor still detect radar, since it's not being blocked up close...because radar can enter the car and then bounce around. Would there be any problem or significant reduction of detection by mounting it this way? Thanks
Old 07-19-2003, 08:08 PM

I think that it will still detect, but it will diminish the performance of the detector. I read an article a year or so ago, and it said that every radar detector that they tested through a tinted window had reduced performance. The Valantine One was one that they tested, and I belive that it did better than all the others.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:59 PM

I know that the tints will reduce the performance. But I just want to know if it would still work if I mounted it high up on the rear windshield rather than on the front windshield.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a V1 and tinted windows , 5% rear too. The front sensor is way more valuable than the rear, besides - my rear sensor works great even with my windows tinted (as tested with those police units that say your speed in big red numbers).
Old 07-20-2003, 01:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

MAC,

i see your concern. i have a detector and i keep it on the front dash. i don't give one rats as* if cops see it. in fact, i think it is funny if they see it. your upper rear-glass location will still enable the detector to work. but i am concerned about your front-detection ability. widow tinting is not my area, so i have no opinion on that.

to me, a sports car with tinted glass is more of a red flag than a visible detector behind clear glass.

also, cops have radar detector detectors, so they will know if you have one anyway. recently, a pulled up behind a cop and the K band thing just went haywire. i saw him adjusting his rear mirror, conspicuously, as a display for me to see that he knew i was packed. and i did not give one ****. i then turned the corner sharply, to make a statement, when the light changed and he kept on ahead. he knew he couldn't do jack ****. and he was not in the mood to follow me to scare me into a ticket. he saw i was not in fear of him. so i was not gettable. cops prey on the dumb and the meek. and his element of surprise did not exist.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:11 AM

Re: Radar Detector positioning, please help

Originally posted by MAC12383
I haven't seen this done yet or even seen anyone talk about this, but I'm wondering if I can mount my valentine one on my REAR windshield. As long as I put it in the middle, it'll still be able to see out the back and forward out the front windshield, but i think it'd be better for two reasons. 1) My back windshield is tinted so it'd be better if it was right up against the glass. And 2) cops won't be able to see it at all. If i get pulled over, I dont' hav eto worry about taking it down or anything, because you can't see it from teh outside since my back windshield is tinted, and you cant see it through the side windows either. I have the concealed display so I can still have the visuals right in front of me. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? My only concern is if I mount it high on the back windshield (whcih it should be), the front sensor might be blocked by the rearview mirror. But even if it's in the direct line of site, there's still like 4 or 5 feet of air in between so it should still detect radar/laser right? If anyone could give me some input on this i'd really appreciate it, thanks.
Please click the below link to see my other post on July 4, 2003 at 06:18AM (edited at 06:35AM).
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....e&pagenumber=2