General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Power Shifting questions- is it even better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 12:01 PM

Ok so i tried power shifting the other day. HOw bad is this for the car? It doesnt seem like it could be very good for it. Also, whats even the point. Like i tried doing it under racing conditions (shifting really late, around 6) and it wouldnt even gone into gear until around 3k RPM. So whats even the point?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2001, 12:43 PM
Banned

i dont think i understand what you are saying. when you shifted at 6K rpms it did not engage until 3K rpms. it that is the case then you are not speed shifting. the point of speed shifting is to keep the rpms as high as possible. like when you shift you dont want the needle to drop that far from the point you shifted at. speed shifting probably isnt the best for the car but it is not going to kill it either. the more you practice the better you will get.
Old 02-04-2001, 12:49 PM

I ment power shifting, as in not using the clutch, just letting off the gas. I tried my damndest to shift at higher rpms but it just wouldnt budge.
Old 02-04-2001, 01:34 PM
Banned

not using the clutch? i think what you are talking about is somthing called bi#ch shifting. that is where you dont use your clutch to put it into gear. this is helpful if your clutch ever goes out. when you wear shifting w/o pressing the clutch in, did you grind the gears.

i think in speed shifting you push the clutch in just long enough to put it in gear and still have the rpms at a resonable amount. ofcourse i could be completely wrong but this is how i do it. just push the clutch in for like half a second and throw it into the next gear. maybe someone else can get in on this to answer your question a little better. this is just my $.02.

later
Old 02-04-2001, 01:37 PM

Err...first of all powershifting is a shifting technique where you USE the clutch but don't let off the gas. You have to be super fast to do this but if you screw up its definitely not good fro the tranny. I would just practice launching technique, which is most important in a FWD car. Its just not worth it to risk damaging your tranny for .2-.3 sec improvement.
Old 02-04-2001, 01:45 PM

i always said i was dumb!

what the hell is it that im doing, this is what everyone in my school refurs to as power shifting.
Old 02-04-2001, 02:19 PM
MaxirmaSE

hahaahahah........u need to learn how to do it right first.u were tring to break ur crap huh? its ok...dont ever shift without stepping on the clutch!!!
Once u learn how to do it right it would help u gain a little when u and the other car r shifting.It helps for close races.BTW if u power shift all the time (like i do) your clutch wouldent last very long.

Old 02-04-2001, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shifting without the clutch when you aren't racing is called double clutching. You match the revs of the gears and shift. If done correctly it isn't bad for the tranny, but when you hear the grind you're taking some life off of your gears. I believe 3rd gear slides in around 3400 and 4th goes in at 3000. Don't quote me on that though Watch your rpms to see what the tach settles at when you shift. Then experiment a little and you'll be able to double clutch.
-hype
Old 02-04-2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Shifting without the clutch when you aren't racing is called double clutching. You match the revs of the gears and shift. If done correctly it isn't bad for the tranny, but when you hear the grind you're taking some life off of your gears. I believe 3rd gear slides in around 3400 and 4th goes in at 3000. Don't quote me on that though Watch your rpms to see what the tach settles at when you shift. Then experiment a little and you'll be able to double clutch.
-hype
double clutch

I believe it is when say you are in 3rd wanting to downshift to 2nd you step on the clutch to pull from third to N, rev at this point to match the rev in 2nd, clutch in and shift into second....all done really fast of course.

You would do this if your sycros are not worn.....you can also use this method to put your car in 1st at higher speeds.....

clutch twice thus double clutching....

i
Old 02-04-2001, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very true. I believe some of the older race cars required this, but it's also used as the slang for downshifting w/o the clutch.
-hype