General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pulled Over / Max Impounded / Court , BAD DAY

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:42 AM

Pulled Over / Max Impounded / Court , BAD DAY

horrible day today.

i was racing my friends RSX type-s (this is not a racing post) and a cop catches us and pulls us over. My car, actually my dad's 97 gle, has been impounded for 30 days (as well as the rsx) and i'm to go to court. I'm a minor , 17, and i'm curious as to if i have any options. should i deny the charge that we were street racing or should i just accept them? What are the consequences? I'm in South Cali btw, Cerritos. Apparently the impound car on street racers is a new law. Damn Davis.

Tonite was definately some scary shti esepcially wen i saw the damn tow truck how much are teh fines giong to be and will i get my lisense suspended?

any information and help on what to do legally would be helpful. thanx.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

******* that sucks. well, i'm in cali too and the laws are pretty damn strict about racing... really depends on counties/cities. 30 days impound + fines sounds standard... good luck tho
Old 07-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Sports Button FTW

dam, its all down hill from here. The best u can do is plead guilty after talking to the prosecutor for a lower fine. You're gonna pay atleast 200 dollars to get your father's car out the impound and depending on how fast u were going u can have anywhere between 2 and 4 points, hopefully none. I street race all the time, and i've been stopped for it, i know its bad but sometimes u gonna teach these cars who's boss...so i cant lecture u on this being bad, just hope things work out
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 AM

try contacting a lawyer? lol
Old 07-22-2003, 04:47 AM
Ludicrous Speed

30-day impound in So Cali will run you anywhere from $300-$600. Some fines can go up to $1200. Welcome to L.A. County. I think you can do 12 days in jail as an option if you don't have the cash for the fine. Two of our car club's guys got caught early last year and they opted to spend the 12 days in jail. They were let go after 3 days on good conduct (crowded jail) and the fine dropped down to under $300.

Were you racing on a regular street? If so, depending on how bad of a day your judge is having, you can say that you were trying to merge into that other lane but the guy sped up so you kept accelerating. I've seen this work once out of a couple of times, but only because the cop just saw them whizz by and he wasn't paying close attention to them. They had slowed down by the time the cop caught up to pull the first guy over. He had even had enough time to call another unit so he could pull over the second car.

I'll admit I used to street race mostly for recognition.. but now, there's nothing like taking that race to the track and humiliating a ricer in front of a large crowd. That, and you get an authentic "Certificate of Ownage" a.k.a Time Slip that you can hang on your wall or carry around as hardcore proof. None of that "I saw you.. you were 2 cars behind him dude.. shoulda hit the nawz" BS.

Take it like a man and pay the price for your crime.. it would be the honorable thing to do. Fight it only if you feel you were doing nothing wrong and can prove it.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well at least you've learned your lesson I hope...

Street Racing = BAD!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Pizda Boy

I don't know about Cali but I tow cars along with my friend and the shop we work for charges about $65-$85 a night for impounds...depending on if the car is kept outside or inside...from what i know racing in jersey used to be 8 points on your license + automatic license suspension... I think that you're looking at spending a lot of $$$
Old 07-22-2003, 07:18 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Pulled Over / Max Impounded / Court , BAD DAY

Originally posted by frinxor
[B]I'm a minor , 17, and i'm curious as to if i have any options. should i deny the charge that we were street racing or should i just accept them?
get a lawyer... really. It's going to be more out-of-pocket now but cheaper in the long run.
Apparently the impound car on street racers is a new law. Damn Davis.
he wasn't the one racing, was he . Don't blame him because you got caught breaking the law.
any information and help on what to do legally would be helpful. thanx.
just get a lawyer. Even if it's to get the fines reduced it'll be worth it.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:30 AM

minor and street racing, its going to be very hard for you to convince the judge that you werent....how did you dad take it when you told him?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:37 AM

Hopefully, your post will do more to discourage street racing here among our other young members than some of the past lecturing that has done little good.

As far as the suggestions that you tell some tall story in court, thereby adding perjury to your troubles, please remember the law of holes: "When you're in a hole, stop digging."
Old 07-22-2003, 10:27 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

If you did it, then don't try to weasel out of it. You just make it harder to people with real not-guilty pleas to get a fair hearing.

Hate to say it, but you're gonna have to suck it up and take it on the chin. I hope this acts as your wake up call. Mine was an 80mph head-on collision that I nearly didn't survive.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:37 AM

I was in a defensive drinving class (for switching lanes w/ out signaling) w/ a guy who got caught racing. They impounded his car and put him in jail for 30 DAYS on the spot!!!!!!

I know cali is crackin down on racing but texas is ALL about capitol punishment (death penalty) so just be glad you didnt get caught here
Old 07-22-2003, 10:53 AM

Got caught racing a 2k2, was going 90 in a 30 here at Brooklyn, NY. The cops were undercover and pulled me over while the other guy left. They came out with regular clothes but badges etc... I know you should never admit guilt but when they asked me how fast you were going I said about 70-80 mph and they go was that your friend who you were racing, and I said "yes sir". Then they questioned my PBA card and my PBA decals before they took them all away and told me to "Get The FUKC out of here". Also, THe RSX-Type S will lose to the maxima. =)
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM

Thanx for the help. The cop who pulled us over saw us launch hard with tires screeching and all and my buddy in the rsx already admitted we were racing in the cops report so admit guilty it is i guess. What good will a lawyer do? Won't he cost more than it'll save? And what happens to my insurance at this point? Triples ? First ticket of any kind/no previous accidents or incidents.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:53 PM

i got caught racing when i was 16, umm first off getting the car back from impound is gonna cost you 1200 bux, your friend was a dumbazz for admitting guilt to the officer. no chance on getting off a lawyer can do nothing since he admitted guilt. street racing is a 2 point misdominer and gonna stay on your driving record for 7 years, insurance will quadruple (im serious) dmv will automatically take your license away for a month and the court can take away your license away for up to a year and b1ttch slap u with a 1000 dollar fine. it fukn sux but this is life and the only thing i can say is learn from your mistakes. btw if u plead guilty the judge will let u off easier
Old 07-22-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by frinxor
Thanx for the help. The cop who pulled us over saw us launch hard with tires screeching and all and my buddy in the rsx already admitted we were racing in the cops report so admit guilty it is i guess. What good will a lawyer do? Won't he cost more than it'll save? And what happens to my insurance at this point? Triples ? First ticket of any kind/no previous accidents or incidents.
There's a difference between paying up front and paying increased insurance costs for many years...
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM

thanks for the info max1ma97se
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 PM

#1 Get a lawyer
#2 Good luck
#3 Stop street racing!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Street racing in your daddies car?!?! how stupid!

I did the same thing when I was your age...except it was in a crappy Taurus.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:03 PM

OMG! Your friend is a mor*n. How can you admit guilt to a regular cop? I would never admit guilt to the NYPD traffic officer etc.. it was just these guys were undercover and had followed me through the whole race so there was no point of lying my *** off and it paid off cause they let me go for being honest (You need to make judgment). Everyone is always innocent even if you are proven guilty. Your friend just closed the case for both of you. Sorry man this mistake is going to hurt your wallet. Good luck.

EDIT: Reminds me of the show, "cops" when the cop says, "come on did you hit her, if you're honest with me we can work something out", then when the suspect admits guilt gets handcuffed. You don't have to speak to the police officer at all! Give him what he wants and resolve the issue in court.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:34 PM

Most cops that I know (not very many) have heard all the excuses in the book. They're actually surprised when you admit that you screwed up, are appologetic, and don't lie to them. And in a lot of cases, they'll either reduce the ticket that they were going to give you, or let you off entirely (with speeding). So being honest about it is usually the best policy, don't try to lie and think that you're smart. They've heard AL of the excuses.
As far as street racing, I've been guilty of it myself, but it's VERY dumb. WAY too many people are killed every year by people that think that "it will never happen to them". Take it to the track.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:57 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
Everyone is always innocent even if you are proven guilty.
, exactly what does that mean?

Old 07-22-2003, 04:04 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

nothing more to contribute...

Old 07-22-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by orgasmicNYC
OMG! Your friend is a mor*n. How can you admit guilt to a regular cop? I would never admit guilt to the NYPD traffic officer etc.. it was just these guys were undercover and had followed me through the whole race so there was no point of lying my *** off and it paid off cause they let me go for being honest (You need to make judgment). Everyone is always innocent even if you are proven guilty. Your friend just closed the case for both of you. Sorry man this mistake is going to hurt your wallet. Good luck.

EDIT: Reminds me of the show, "cops" when the cop says, "come on did you hit her, if you're honest with me we can work something out", then when the suspect admits guilt gets handcuffed. You don't have to speak to the police officer at all! Give him what he wants and resolve the issue in court.
I got into a situation with the NYPD a while back, it was at 6th Ave and 8 St, near the hot dog place. Talked to the cops, shook hands, and that was it. Anybody from NYC knows that cops do not shake hands with civilians, or do they? I just told you I shook hands with 2 officers who started out by telling me I'm getting 3 summons that's gonna cost me $$$. It's all about talking in an honest and empathetic manner. It's not about BS, like Geroge Bush and D of Lab trying to do away with overtime wages, yet try to act like their for the common working man. I've never had a job that paid me hourly except in college, but I still believe in overtime for hourly workers and am pro-labor. Act like George B and you will get the ticket every time. Act like slick ***** and you'll be ROR time and time again!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:37 AM
is invisible

Who won?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I got into a situation with the NYPD a while back, it was at 6th Ave and 8 St, near the hot dog place.
Grays Papaya
Old 07-23-2003, 09:03 AM

Not sure in cali, but in OK you can plead no contest and then talk with a prosecutor or the judge and most of the time they will reduce your fines/charges if you have a clean record.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM

racing

Originally posted by max1ma97se
i got caught racing when i was 16, umm first off getting the car back from impound is gonna cost you 1200 bux, your friend was a dumbazz for admitting guilt to the officer. no chance on getting off a lawyer can do nothing since he admitted guilt. street racing is a 2 point misdominer and gonna stay on your driving record for 7 years, insurance will quadruple (im serious) dmv will automatically take your license away for a month and the court can take away your license away for up to a year and b1ttch slap u with a 1000 dollar fine. it fukn sux but this is life and the only thing i can say is learn from your mistakes. btw if u plead guilty the judge will let u off easier
expect this in s. cali. If you wanted to race, don't do it on the streets. Look, im sure by now you have heard about the street races over in ontario. They are held every friday, saturday, and sunday night. CROWDS of people go there, so its a good place to get recognition. I'm prety well known there for my maxima. There's no way you will get pulled over by the cops for racing since there's tons of people. just dont speed when you go spot to spot. It is still illegal, and it would be better if this lifestyle was giving up, but it is a good alternative than racing on the streets. (ontario is all industrialized so there is no residential area for miles)
Old 07-25-2003, 12:25 AM

there is a new law in ontario, ca. Your car gets crushed now if you are guilty of street racing. They do this cause they don't want people to think they make money off of street racers.

you think getting your car towed is scary... wait till u see it as flat as a pancake.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:15 AM
¿Hablas Español?

Pay your dues and learn from it.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:22 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

What if it's nor ur car? Like a rental or something? Or it's a car that you borrowed from a friend and that friend had no clue you were racing?

What about the lienholder? State crushes the car and it's the loan company that loses out...

And when it's crushed what if you have absolutely no way of paying the owner/lienholder back - so it's ok for the owner to lose a $20k car for doing nothing wrong??

That law sucks unless it is limited to only 'taking' cars that are outright owned by the offending driver... Then I have less sympathy as long as there is due process before justice is served, and they make a distinction between "Beating someone to a merge" and outright "street racing".
Old 07-25-2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
dam, its all down hill from here. The best u can do is plead guilty after talking to the prosecutor for a lower fine. You're gonna pay atleast 200 dollars to get your father's car out the impound and depending on how fast u were going u can have anywhere between 2 and 4 points, hopefully none. I street race all the time, and i've been stopped for it, i know its bad but sometimes u gonna teach these cars who's boss...so i cant lecture u on this being bad, just hope things work out
yeah mecca...you show those 3cyl metros who's boss!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:42 PM

the law in ontario CANT possibly be true. Is there a link for it?
Old 07-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Got Projectors?

Closest thing I can find:

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories...518844,00.html
Old 07-26-2003, 02:31 AM

Damn, didnt know canada (esp. ontario) was getting that strict.

Anyway, to the person who got caught: Its not the end of the world. You're not the first person who has done this. As others have mentioned you will pay for the towing...I believe they will charge you "storage" fees for having your car parked in the impound lot.

As for the friend who admitted, he is an idiot. You could try to maintain a "not guilty" status. Show up to court (arraignment most likely), where the judge will probably read you what you are charged with, and then will ask if you are guilty or not guilty. I would say "not guilty." You will not be required to explain why at that time (in most cases). If you have the lawyer, the lawyer will handle all the talking, all you would have to do is say "yes" to when they ask you if you are so and so, and then say "not guilty." Then, you will have a new court date issued to you (I am assuming you were arrested and printed?). If not, it should work the same way anyway. So you between your first and second court date, you must have your lawyer talk to the DA. This is the time where the lawyer and DA will bargain for you to plea guilty. Their goal (prosecution) is to have you plea guilty. Your goal (defense) is to get the lowest charges possible before agreeing to plea guilty. Once the lawyer and DA agree to something (lawyer will run it by you most likely) you will show up in court for that second date. The original charges will be dropped accordingly to lower charges/lower fines, and then you will be asked once again what your plea is. This time you would say "guilty." Pay your fines at the cashier and you're out. Good luck. Make sure you dont get jail time (for a first time offender of your age, i doubt you will be thrown in jail). If you are charged criminally (if you were arrested), then you will want to seek an ACD (considering your age). With the ACD (not sure about california) you will be required to remain out of trouble (no arrests/criminal activity) for 6 mos. which is when you will return to court (6 mos. later) and the charges will be re-assessed. If you remained clean for that 6 mos. all charges will be dismissed and all that will remain is an arrest record. If you did get into trouble within that time period, your charges will most likely be sustained. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2003, 05:32 AM

Wow, that really sucks man. Ive heard more and more about those new laws, however thank God their not enforcing them that strictly here in my town. My friend got caught street racing (80 in a 40) and the cop only gave him the speeding ticket and street racing ticket and told him to go home.

I have personally never been caught in the action of street racing, but ive been pulled over for watching/allegedly participating in street racing. I mean, the cops arent stupid, they knew we were racing and they were VERY nice about it. Told us they know we like to hook up our cars and race them, but security called on us so they didnt want us there again, and if they caught us there again, they would have our *****. They also told us the main street racing spots they have to watch and not to go there?!?! Very cool in my book...

Then their are the pigs who accused me once of street racing since i was driving my friends highly modded TSi...i definately wasnt for once...They had no proof and were trying to drill me into saying i was...a*sholes...

Anyways, i guess this is just a hard lesson you will have to learn man, sorry...

Eric
Old 07-26-2003, 09:12 PM

Damn man, I'm real sorry to hear about this. I'm 17 also, and since my 3rd gen isnt very fast, that kind of helps me from racing. I'll go to the track, but I really try to limit myself on what I do on the street.

Like a lot of them said, BE HONEST! Trust me, honesty will get you out of a hole better than lying.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:47 PM
lcf

Get a lawyer. That's what they are for... Heh.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by AlbertOh
there is a new law in ontario, ca. Your car gets crushed now if you are guilty of street racing. They do this cause they don't want people to think they make money off of street racers.

you think getting your car towed is scary... wait till u see it as flat as a pancake.

I had no idea of this but i think you mean if you are caught. It's a different story at night (aprox" 11:30 p.m-dawn?). The cops don't really look for people racing. They just break up the crowd and wait until everyone leaves. Of course if they are stupid enough to do something in front of a cop, then their ***** are in trouble. I've been going for a while, and no one has had their cars taken away. Cops just cite vehicles with loud exhaust, neon light, etc. street racing is just bad, and everyone should use their judment.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by AlbertOh

It's very different at night though. There are way too many people to try to pull over. All they do is show up turn on their sirens and wait for the people to leave. Of course they still pull people over, but only for moving violations, or to give them fix it tickets. They do pull your **** over if you do something stupid. I go all the time, and they have never towed anyone away. I guess just the time of day and racer activity. street racing is bad, but hard to stop. It's just up to the person's judment to do what is right.