General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

if its not one thing its another lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:12 PM

if its not one thing its another lol

Well i just got an amazing deal on some O2 sensors $80 for both so i put them in tonight and reset my ECU. Well everything is cool light goes off, i figure what the hell i might as well check my ECU codes again to make sure that everythign is fine. Well its not, im throwing code for a Knock Sensor...........but my car is running fine, its not knocking. I dont get it? I thought that it helps detonation but my motor is running strong. I took the car for a drive. It idles prefect, half throttle fine, full is strong like before the bad O2's. Since i have reset my ECU i have no light showing now, should i just wait intill i get the light back and go from there? I just cant see how it could be my knock sensor if my car is running fine.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:14 PM

also i have found a place online taht is selling them what i think is pretty cheap........ http://catalog.autopartsgo.com/?make...1996&x=17&y=27 $114.53 with free shipping. if there is any cheaper of a place please just list it below.

Thanks Rich
Old 07-28-2003, 06:18 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

it could still be ur ks, it may have been bad longer than u think, so just see if the code comes back up and then go from there, consider replacing only if the code comes back, which it will, make sure u check it within a day or two bc it will probably be back on within the next 2 times u drive it
Old 07-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

are you running correct octane? is the timing advanced enough?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:51 AM

well i have been running 93 but i think my last tant was 87 due to my lack of money..... i know its not the best but there is no way taht it could F up due to that. About the timing thing, i dont have a chip so my car is running on stock timing. Well my buddy and i took the car out all night, the light came on. So looks like i will be getting a new knock sensor, but i still dont get it. The car is running good, there is no knocking what so ever.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mmmm. process of elimination.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:43 AM

Re: if its not one thing its another lol

Originally posted by rich96max
Well i just got an amazing deal on some O2 sensors $80 for both so i put them in tonight and reset my ECU. Well everything is cool light goes off, i figure what the hell i might as well check my ECU codes again to make sure that everythign is fine. Well its not, im throwing code for a Knock Sensor...........but my car is running fine, its not knocking. I dont get it? I thought that it helps detonation but my motor is running strong. I took the car for a drive. It idles prefect, half throttle fine, full is strong like before the bad O2's. Since i have reset my ECU i have no light showing now, should i just wait intill i get the light back and go from there? I just cant see how it could be my knock sensor if my car is running fine.
All that is saying is that the KS is bad. That really does not have anything to do with the car actually knocking. Just as the name implies, it senses knock--it does not prevent nor cause knocking! It is kind of like saying my gas gauge is bad; therefore, I must not have any gas. The gauge just senses how much gas you have. Same principle applies with the KS.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:50 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

umm dude, you cant necessarily hear knocking unless it's bad. You don't know for sure that you're not knocking unless you're logging the output from the ks.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: if its not one thing its another lol

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX

All that is saying is that the KS is bad. That really does not have anything to do with the car actually knocking. Just as the name implies, it senses knock--it does not prevent nor cause knocking! It is kind of like saying my gas gauge is bad; therefore, I must not have any gas. The gauge just senses how much gas you have. Same principle applies with the KS.
Not quite...

The KS code is set when the output from that sensor is out of it's acceptable range. This can also mean that your car is experiancing excessive knock and ping. Thats why the KS code usually comes along with bad o2 sensors. When an o2 goes bad, your car can indeed ping and your KS will sense this, retard your timing and set the code in your ECU.

It will also set the code if your KS has gone bad. However, it's wise to first make sure that your car is running correctly and has no other sensors (o2's) that are bad. Once everything else checks out OK and your still getting the KS code, it's probably safe to assume that your KS has indeed gone bad.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by rich96max
well i have been running 93 but i think my last tant was 87 due to my lack of money..... i know its not the best but there is no way taht it could F up due to that. About the timing thing, i dont have a chip so my car is running on stock timing. Well my buddy and i took the car out all night, the light came on. So looks like i will be getting a new knock sensor, but i still dont get it. The car is running good, there is no knocking what so ever.

the SES light should not illuminate for just the knock sensor. pull your codes again and see what other codes there are.