General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

harnesses for intake sensor outside midpipe...good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Sports Button FTW

harnesses for intake sensor outside midpipe...good or bad?

i just bought a used frankencar midpipe which i thought had the holes for the harnesses (MAF and the other one) but turns out it doesnt. Will there be a difference in power, or anything having the harnesses connected outside mid pipe instead of on the midpipe?

Also, is the frankencar intake supposed to have the holes for harnesses or are the harnesses supposed to be installed off the midpipe?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In not sure I understand what you mean holes for harnesses? The only harness on the intake is the MAF sensor which is hookedup to the MAF tube that sits on the Frankencar intake at the end.

All the rest are hoses like the crackcase hose.

Dixit
Old 08-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Sports Button FTW

nah, i mean...ok. There are two harnesses, one for MAF and one for Air temp (this is how 97+ is). These harnesses come with a little piece that has screws on each side that i guess reads the temperature inside engine bay and/or temperature inside intake, reads the cold air coming into the throttle. Those small things, are they drilled onto the midpipe of a frankencar intake or do they just hang around in the engine bay?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Sports Button FTW

i'm talking about air temp sensor. Does it hang in the engine bay or does it have to be screwed into the midpipe? any difference in performance or anything?

does frankencar come with the hole for that sensor?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:42 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally posted by meccanoble
i'm talking about air temp sensor. Does it hang in the engine bay or does it have to be screwed into the midpipe? any difference in performance or anything?

does frankencar come with the hole for that sensor?
im not positive about 4th gens but my 5th gen frankencar has a hole for the air temp sensor. i plugged the hole and left the sensor in the stock scoop and it makes no difference which location it is in. if there is not a hole, i would do what the guys with popchargers do that removed the stock scoop is to ziptie it close to the filter.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by sloppymax

im not positive about 4th gens but my 5th gen frankencar has a hole for the air temp sensor. i plugged the hole and left the sensor in the stock scoop and it makes no difference which location it is in. if there is not a hole, i would do what the guys with popchargers do that removed the stock scoop is to ziptie it close to the filter.
gotcha
Old 08-07-2003, 04:39 PM

mecca,
Old 08-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Handsome

This is what Nissan Performance mag say's about this,

The ECU uses input from various sensors to determine the correct air fuel ratio. The mass airflow sensor measures intake flow rate.

The absolute pressure sensor detects barometric pressure and intake manifold pressure. The air intake temperature sensor evaluates intake air temperature. These three sensors send signals to the ECU to calculate air mass, the weight of the air being used by the engine. The ECU uses this information to determine how much fuel must be added for that particular air mass and controls the ideal fuel delivery by adjusting the timing of opening and closing the injectors. Due to variations in fuel pressure, injectors, and the sensors, some inaccuracies are possible which is why the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold is used. It measures the unburned oxygen in the exhaust stream to determine how much fuel the engine used. Too little oxygen suggests a rich condition- too much fuel was added. Too much oxygen indicates too little fuel was added. The O2 sensor sends a signal to the ECU to adjust fuel. Input from the intake sensors and feedback from the O2 sensors help to maintain ideal air fuel ratio. You should make sure all the sensors work to ensure the perfect powerful mixture. You can simply zip tie the sensor near the filter for it to work correctly, do not disconnect it.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:11 PM

Mecca,

I have the old style straight mid pipe which doesnt have the hole for the temp sensor. I had it zip tied to the outside of the filter but I figured it would work better if it were inside of it. What I did was pulled the temp sensor out as far as I could to have enough slack of wire. Then I pulled the filter off the mid pipe just enough to put the temp sensor inside of the filter itself. Then I put the filter back on and made sure to tighten the filter enough to hold the wires of sensor in place. So basically its just hanging inside of the filter with the wires coming out of where the filter goes over the midpipe. Thats the only way I could do it. Sorry I dont have pics but I hope that makes sense....
Old 08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Ant96GLE
Mecca,

I have the old style straight mid pipe which doesnt have the hole for the temp sensor. I had it zip tied to the outside of the filter but I figured it would work better if it were inside of it. What I did was pulled the temp sensor out as far as I could to have enough slack of wire. Then I pulled the filter off the mid pipe just enough to put the temp sensor inside of the filter itself. Then I put the filter back on and made sure to tighten the filter enough to hold the wires of sensor in place. So basically its just hanging inside of the filter with the wires coming out of where the filter goes over the midpipe. Thats the only way I could do it. Sorry I dont have pics but I hope that makes sense....
hey ant it does make sense and i'm going to do it that way. Just had a question. Do u have a frankencar? i'll take it probably the earlier ones like i may have no as well? or did all frankencars come with the hole for sensor and i just bought some custom one like a fool
Old 08-08-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble

hey ant it does make sense and i'm going to do it that way. Just had a question. Do u have a frankencar? i'll take it probably the earlier ones like i may have no as well? or did all frankencars come with the hole for sensor and i just bought some custom one like a fool
Yes I do have a frankencar. Its the old straight pipe I bought off a fellow orger a few months ago. Only the new ones with the bent pipe have the hole for the sensor. If you notice one of the pictures that was posted on this thread, thats the newer frankencar pipe with a bend on it. The old ones like you and I have dont have a bend. We just have two fittings for the vacuum hoses. So when you put on the filter you might have to zip tie it to a hole near the strut bar so it doesnt hit the battery, which is what I did. I havent really had a problem with it at all and since its inside of the filter to register the air temperature as it goes in and send it to the ECU for the air fuel ratio, thats all its there for. You should be fine